Covid-19 discussion, continued...

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Sun, Aug 29, 2021 9:25 PM
posted by friendfromlowry

He - along with Abbott/Texas and Ducey/Arizona have tried to ban schools from imposing mask mandates. And I don't know or care if masks really make that much of a difference. They probably don't. But when your state is doing so poorly with handling it, Desantis should fuck off and worry about other things besides banning schools from forcing masks. 

I don't think he banned schools from mandating masks, he just made it so that families can exempt themselves from a mandate for any reason, religious or otherwise. Ultimately putting full control in the hands of the parents where it belongs.

I could be wrong, but this is how I understand the situation.

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Sun, Aug 29, 2021 9:54 PM
posted by friendfromlowry

What are you restricted from doing? 

Most of my customers can’t be seen in their offices.  My vaccinated kid wears a mask to school and risks being quarantined for 10 days for being exposed like several of her classmates have.  

Two examples of stupid crap in our world for some quest to protect everyone - including people who don’t care about being protected.  That is their choice.  None of this other stuff is justified.  

Ironman92

Administrator

Sun, Aug 29, 2021 10:14 PM

Around southern Ohio if you have your mask on in school, no quarantine 

Gardens35

Sun, Aug 29, 2021 10:17 PM

"People who don't care to be protected" are the reason your clients and daughter (and the rest of us) are in the situation we're in.

They usually refer to themselves as "Patriots and "Freedom Fighters". Meanwhile, those attempting to mitigate the spread are "Nazis" and "Facists".

friendfromlowry

Sun, Aug 29, 2021 10:26 PM
posted by Ironman92

Around southern Ohio if you have your mask on in school, no quarantine 

I believe its the same with my daughter's district. Masks suck, but if they can prevent a shitty quarantine then whatever. If Boogie's daughter could still be quarantined despite having worn a mask I'd be pissed, too. 

sportchampps

Mon, Aug 30, 2021 1:04 AM

My friend and his girlfriend said they are feeling better but really run down. 

My moms neighbors a couple in their 80s went to the hospital. Both tested positive and were given antibodies and sent home. My mom said they are still really sick. 

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Mon, Aug 30, 2021 10:51 AM
posted by gut

Not sure how, and it definitely wouldn't accomplish much (I think the past year barely saw a dip in CO2 emissions).  I'm sure you're not wrong - I think I've even seen it floated as an idea a few times.

But it does feel kind of like this is somewhat of a "grand experiment" with guaranteed incomes, and especially working from home.   The latter solves a lot of growing infrastructure problems in cities.

There's probably also an element of economic nationalism involved.  It certainly squashes the export of a lot of high-value professional services by limiting/banning travel.  But disruptions to global supply chains might also bring a lot of blue collar jobs back home, too.

How timely.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/climate-change-to-be-treated-as-public-health-issue-11630315800

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Mon, Aug 30, 2021 3:54 PM
posted by gut

It's hard to approve of how Desantis is handling this, but those people are dying sort of by choice.  Harder to defend restrictions, any really, when 99% of the people dying are un-vaccinated.

I realize there's a chance this could mutate into something more deadly.  And just saw where Delta is maybe 4X more contagious and 2.25X as deadly as the original variant.  But the vaccines prevent serious illness.

Just don't understand why we are trying to save people who won't help themselves.  Seems virtually guaranteed if you aren't vaccinated that you'll eventually get this, which means all these restrictions only delay the inevitable, at great economic cost.

Let's see if I am doing this correctly...  

It was always going to happen this way!

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Mon, Aug 30, 2021 3:56 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

I just don’t understand any of this. Vaccinations are available. If you don’t take one, that’s your choice. But restricting us all for the safety of those who refuse them is essentially all we’re doing. Ass backwards. 

Well, the part you don't understand is you're applying too much common sense.   There are a lot of people who are afraid for their lives no matter what, and you have to live by their rules to make them feel safe.  Plz b better.

gut

Mon, Aug 30, 2021 4:12 PM
posted by like_that

Let's see if I am doing this correctly... 

It was always going to happen this way!

LOL.  Remember all the stuff Trump wasn't doing and all the deaths were on him?  Biden pretty much doing (or not doing) the same things, aside from encouraging people to wear masks and get vaccinated.  And, again, he basically gets a free pass.  Instead, the media focuses on Desantis to fill their TDS void.

gut

Mon, Aug 30, 2021 4:24 PM
posted by like_that

Well, the part you don't understand is you're applying too much common sense.

It really is serving to illustrate the rather giant gulf between Democrats and Republicans.  The former wants the govt to figure out what's best and tell everyone to do it, and accepts it unconditionally (even if, individually, many of them will ignore it).  Republicans don't want govt, much less federal govt, mandating what to do (even if, individually, many of them will follow the guidelines).

Anyway, while I don't see the benefit for kids under 12 to mask-up during school, once the vaccine is approved for them all these restrictions - ALL - need to stop.

It's truly crazy when you realize that individual liberty is being restricted FOR EVERYONE solely due to the govt's failure to convince 1/4 of the population to get vaccinated.

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Tue, Aug 31, 2021 12:53 PM

If the CCP had compromised a portion of the ruling class and were actually calling the shots in Australia, how would it look any differently than it does now? I say this in jest, but I think it's an interesting thought experiment.

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Tue, Aug 31, 2021 3:14 PM
posted by justincredible

If the CCP had compromised a portion of the ruling class and were actually calling the shots in Australia, how would it look any differently than it does now? I say this in jest, but I think it's an interesting thought experiment.

Imagine being on the side of these people (not the unmasked dad), and thinking you are part of the good guys. 

jmog

Tue, Aug 31, 2021 9:45 PM
posted by justincredible

To be fair, Australians gave up the ability to defend their rights years ago when they allowed gun confiscation/forced buy backs.

sportchampps

Tue, Aug 31, 2021 11:53 PM

Good friends oxygen is still really low as  now he will be in ICU until Friday then sent home on Oxygen for a month. 

The most annoying part is another good friends of our mom posts his picture with his kids with the caption.

“My sons good friend (Name) needs your prayers. He was just admitted to the ICU with Covid. He has two kids and didn’t get around to getting the vaccine.”

Like fuck off gotta be the most backhanded pray for someone post ever.

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Wed, Sep 1, 2021 8:04 AM
posted by sportchampps

Good friends oxygen is still really low as  now he will be in ICU until Friday then sent home on Oxygen for a month. 

The most annoying part is another good friends of our mom posts his picture with his kids with the caption.

“My sons good friend (Name) needs your prayers. He was just admitted to the ICU with Covid. He has two kids and didn’t get around to getting the vaccine.”

Like fuck off gotta be the most backhanded pray for someone post ever.

He “didn’t get around to it”?  My God  

BR1986FB

Wed, Sep 1, 2021 8:14 AM

Found out last night one of my better friends from high school is fighting for his life at the Cleveland Clinic.

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Wed, Sep 1, 2021 9:15 AM
posted by jmog

To be fair, Australians gave up the ability to defend their rights years ago when they allowed gun confiscation/forced buy backs.

Still something like 3 million guns in Australia, I think.

gut

Wed, Sep 1, 2021 9:30 AM
posted by justincredible

Still something like 3 million guns in Australia, I think.

But if the US really put the effort in, I'm sure we could be almost as successful at stopping illegal guns as we are with illegal drugs.

I wonder if anyone has tried to mandate 3D printer software block gun part designs?