Covid-19 discussion, continued...

gut

Sat, Aug 21, 2021 5:46 PM
posted by GOONx19

This doesn’t make a difference for schools this fall, but fwiw, we’re anticipating approval for the 5-11 year age group by mid-September.

That's good news.  But I'm sure they'll still require vaccinated kids to wear masks...because science or something.

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Sat, Aug 21, 2021 5:46 PM
posted by gut

Yep, there's a new study out (I didn't bother to examine it) that says cloth masks are only about 10% effective.  The recommendation is everyone wear N95 or KN95, which are 50% effective (I hoped it would be higher than that).

Again, given how infectious Delta is, the cloth masks are basically useless.  And the N95 probably won't protect you for hours on end.

Prepare for schools to be shut down again, because for some reason we don't have an approved vaccine for kids yet.  But I've not seen evidence think kids under 12 need to be vaccinated.

It seems like we are moving from "flatten the curve" to "eradicate the disease", which is of course a completely unrealistic goal.  But impossible goals seem to be all the rage today.  Pseudo-science is crushing common sense.

No one in charge has a concept of an end game. They've gotten everyone scared, so they're riding that wave all the way into the shore. 

Seriously, can you imagine if car accidents got the proportional attention COVID gets based upon injury and death rates?  

sportchampps

Sun, Aug 22, 2021 3:19 AM

Had to take the wife back to the ER today for pain and I will say it was busier today at the hospital but still not crazy. 

Gardens35

Sun, Aug 22, 2021 1:59 PM

DeSantis still killing it. 23,000 cases per day, 1,400+ dead this week......includes 5 police officers.

Fletch

Sun, Aug 22, 2021 3:42 PM
posted by Gardens35

DeSantis still killing it. 23,000 cases per day, 1,400+ dead this week......includes 5 police officers.

All those people are likely responsible people,  they have an option to stay home or mask up.  Anyone sick or dying from this is likely their choice

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Mon, Aug 23, 2021 6:42 AM
posted by Gardens35

Are you tinking that if everyone had a mask on this wouldn't have happened?  Should he have closed businesses and forced everyone to stay home?  Is he responsible for all other deaths that occured?

brutus161

The Navy Guy

Mon, Aug 23, 2021 8:56 AM
posted by Gardens35

I live in Florida. I do not blame DeSantis for a single illness or death. If he imposed a strict shutdown (like Australia), people would still get sick and die. You know why? Because they made personal choices. 

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Mon, Aug 23, 2021 10:59 AM
posted by brutus161
I live in Florida. I do not blame DeSantis for a single illness or death. If he imposed a strict shutdown (like Australia), people would still get sick and die. You know why? Because they made personal choices. 

Plus it's a virus - not something a politician or anyone can't control or "beat".  

Fletch

Mon, Aug 23, 2021 11:47 AM

We have delayed herd immunity with these lockdowns and such.

Lets just get it over with and open all up.

Gardens35

Mon, Aug 23, 2021 11:57 AM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

Are you tinking that if everyone had a mask on this wouldn't have happened?  Should he have closed businesses and forced everyone to stay home?  Is he responsible for all other deaths that occured?

DeSantis, Florida, and Covid 19 are in the news everyday. He is the guy that the far right of my party is currently propping up as the next best candidate for president. Among other things,they cite his leadership in handling the pandemic in Florida.

Three weeks ago he acknowledged the big spike and said that it was because "people are heading inside to beat the heat and humidity" (paraphrased), and that it would "abate" (his word) in a couple of weeks. Now, I'm not holding him to a "couple of weeks" timeline, but i want to see if he's right (or at least close) or if he tossed that out as some sort of pacifier. Time will tell.

I am undecided right now, so I'm evaluating what he says and does, just as I did with Trump, Biden, and DeWine.

As far as your three questions, my answers are No, No, and No.

QuakerOats

Mon, Aug 23, 2021 12:03 PM

Cases are way up in Oregon, Washington, and Hawaii.  I don't think Mr. DeSantis is the governor in those states. 

Heretic

Son of the Sun

Mon, Aug 23, 2021 12:50 PM

posted by Gardens35

DeSantis, Florida, and Covid 19 are in the news everyday. He is the guy that the far right of my party is currently propping up as the next best candidate for president. Among other things,they cite his leadership in handling the pandemic in Florida.

Three weeks ago he acknowledged the big spike and said that it was because "people are heading inside to beat the heat and humidity" (paraphrased), and that it would "abate" (his word) in a couple of weeks. Now, I'm not holding him to a "couple of weeks" timeline, but i want to see if he's right (or at least close) or if he tossed that out as some sort of pacifier. Time will tell.

I am undecided right now, so I'm evaluating what he says and does, just as I did with Trump, Biden, and DeWine.

To me, the thing about DeSantis is that he's a prominent politician thinking about moving up the food chain, so he's basically using his current role as a springboard to that, basing every decision he makes on what he believes will work with the base he'll be most looking to court and is doing so in an over-aggressive manner. It's one thing to be more laid-back about COVID shit than the average state; it's another thing to essentially be threatening anyone who has the audacity to think something a bit more stringent than "whatever, do what ya want!" might be needed like you're the only person allowed to have any authority 'round those parts.

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Mon, Aug 23, 2021 2:11 PM
posted by Gardens35

DeSantis is "killing it" and citing Covid deaths suggests you blame some politician for the actions of a virus and tens of millions individual choices.  He can't wish Covid away - that is true. But he's equally worthless at preventing anything. The only thing he's doing differently than nervous governors such as DeWine is staying out of people's way. That does not make him responsible for a virus. 

gut

Mon, Aug 23, 2021 2:12 PM

I said Desantis was pushing all in on being the "freedom" governor.  Regardless of how much blame you assign, the current numbers are not helping his cause.

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Mon, Aug 23, 2021 2:13 PM
posted by QuakerOats

Cases are way up in Oregon, Washington, and Hawaii.  I don't think Mr. DeSantis is the governor in those states. 

"Mr." DeSantis?  What a suck ass. 

majorspark

Mon, Aug 23, 2021 2:17 PM

Plus it's a virus - not something a politician or anyone can't control or "beat".  

Much like the climate.

Fletch

Mon, Aug 23, 2021 2:20 PM

DeSantis is "killing it" and citing Covid deaths suggests you blame some politician for the actions of a virus and tens of millions individual choices.  He can't wish Covid away - that is true. But he's equally worthless at preventing anything. The only thing he's doing differently than nervous governors such as DeWine is staying out of people's way. That does not make him responsible for a virus. 

Sometimes being good at something looks as if you are doing nothing at all.  Hands off approach in this isnt as political as locking it all down again.

Gardens35

Mon, Aug 23, 2021 2:36 PM

Again, I think that time will tell if his approach of "staying out of people's way" leads Florida out of it's current situation.

Yea, DeSantis isn't responsible for the virus. The Chinese are.

gut

Mon, Aug 23, 2021 3:02 PM

Naming your vaccine "Comirnaty" probably isn't going to resonate with the "freedom loving" Americans...

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Mon, Aug 23, 2021 10:06 PM

Even with zero cases. Even with 80%+ vaccinated. There will still be the need for restrictions. 

Australia is doomed unless they stop this now.

gut

Mon, Aug 23, 2021 10:13 PM
posted by justincredible

Even with zero cases. Even with 80%+ vaccinated. There will still be the need for restrictions. 

Australia is doomed unless they stop this now.

They're also nutzoid on climate change.

The Covid response should be informative for anyone scared to death of climate change because left-wing politicians tell them "the science is settled".

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Mon, Aug 23, 2021 10:17 PM

Yep, climate lockdowns are 100% coming if we allow this shit to drag on.