Covid-19 discussion, continued...

sportchampps

Thu, Aug 19, 2021 10:44 AM

Had to take my wife to the ER in Texas for Kidney Stones. We went to a stand alone ER she was the only person in the whole place over the 3 hours she was in there. She got some morphine  and a CT scan and a urologist appointment today so hopefully she can avoid any procedures and just pass it.

Al Bundy

Thu, Aug 19, 2021 11:51 AM
posted by sportchampps

Had to take my wife to the ER in Texas for Kidney Stones. We went to a stand alone ER she was the only person in the whole place over the 3 hours she was in there. She got some morphine  and a CT scan and a urologist appointment today so hopefully she can avoid any procedures and just pass it.

I hope that everything comes out ok.

Fletch

Thu, Aug 19, 2021 11:56 AM
posted by Al Bundy

I hope that everything comes out ok.

Nice way to put that

queencitybuckeye

Thu, Aug 19, 2021 2:05 PM

Irony: Antivaxers saying they don’t want to be part of an experiment without realizing they are now the control group.

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Thu, Aug 19, 2021 2:38 PM
posted by queencitybuckeye

Irony: Antivaxers saying they don’t want to be part of an experiment without realizing they are now the control group.

I've heard the comment "I'll gladly be part of the control group" from those who are not vaccinated on numerous occasions, both in real life and on twitter.

jmog

Thu, Aug 19, 2021 4:23 PM

Most "antivaxers" have said and/or have no problem being the "control group". I mean I thought this was quite obvious.

queencitybuckeye

Thu, Aug 19, 2021 4:30 PM

I believe you're talking about the minority. Most have no idea what control group means. That probably is true of the "pro" group as well.

jmog

Thu, Aug 19, 2021 4:43 PM

I believe you're talking about the minority. Most have no idea what control group means. That probably is true of the "pro" group as well.

If you "explained" what a control group was to them, I am sure most of those "antivaxers" would be fine with that as well. I mean all it really means is that you are getting nothing or a "placebo" and they are seeing what happens to you.

sportchampps

Thu, Aug 19, 2021 5:11 PM

Wife is getting surgery soon. Doctor was able to get her scheduled the same day she went in. She had to be at the hospital a few hours early to have a Covid test now she’s scrubbed up and just waiting for them to take her back. 

As for the hospitals being busy in Dallas this place is a ghost town and we are only about 15 mins North of Dallas.

jmog

Thu, Aug 19, 2021 6:11 PM
posted by sportchampps

Wife is getting surgery soon. Doctor was able to get her scheduled the same day she went in. She had to be at the hospital a few hours early to have a Covid test now she’s scrubbed up and just waiting for them to take her back. 

As for the hospitals being busy in Dallas this place is a ghost town and we are only about 15 mins North of Dallas.

My wife (had COVID late April last year) has to have minor outpatient procedures about every 2-3 months for Fibromyalgia.

Every time she has had one since COVID really got going she has to be there early for this reason. They do a COVID test AND a COVID antibody test.

Even though they KNOW she had COVID (positive test as she worked in the medical field) over a year ago.

Her COVID test comes back negative every time. 

Antibody test results...

According to the CDC/FDA anything >1.0 is enough antibody to fight off a COVID-19 infection, or at least make it so mild you wouldn't really know you had it.

When they first used antibody tests as a proof of COVID cases, they were using anyone with a >1.4 as a positive case, now that is anyone >0.8.

The first time my wife had an antibody test at her hospital after having COVID her antibody test came back at 95 (point something, can't remember). 

Over the last year and a couple months (she has had at least 6 tests/procedures) it has dropped down to 47.7 as of June of this year (1 year and 2 months after she had COVID).

I know this is anecdotal, but I am REALLY interested in ANY studies on a more general population of people with KNOWN COVID positive tests and at least moderate symptoms (not asymptomatic) and what their antibody levels are 6 months, 9 months, 12 months, etc after their infection.

We were made to believe that the antibodies would only last 6 months, my wifes are still WELL over the threshold to fight off COVID infection 14 months after her infection...and she didn't get the shot, so that is just from the initial infection.

She has another procedure in a couple weeks, which will put her 1 year and 5 months after infection. I will fill in where her antibodies are with the newest test I am sure she will have to have.

sportchampps

Thu, Aug 19, 2021 8:40 PM
posted by jmog

My wife (had COVID late April last year) has to have minor outpatient procedures about every 2-3 months for Fibromyalgia.

Every time she has had one since COVID really got going she has to be there early for this reason. They do a COVID test AND a COVID antibody test.

Even though they KNOW she had COVID (positive test as she worked in the medical field) over a year ago.

Antibody test results...

According to the CDC/FDA anything >1.0 is enough antibody to fight off a COVID-19 infection, or at least make it so mild you wouldn't really know you had it.

When they first used antibody tests as a proof of COVID cases, they were using anyone with a >1.4 as a positive case, now that is anyone >0.8.

The first time my wife had an antibody test at her hospital after having COVID her antibody test came back at 95 (point something, can't remember). 

Over the last year and a couple months (she has had at least 6 tests/procedures) it has dropped down to 47.7 as of June of this year (1 year and 2 months after she had COVID).

I know this is anecdotal, but I am REALLY interested in ANY studies on a more general population of people with KNOWN COVID positive tests and at least moderate symptoms (not asymptomatic) and what their antibody levels are 6 months, 9 months, 12 months, etc after their infection.

We were made to believe that the antibodies would only last 6 months, my wifes are still WELL over the threshold to fight off COVID infection 14 months after her infection...and she didn't get the shot, so that is just from the initial infection.

She has another procedure in a couple weeks, which will put her 1 year and 5 months after infection. I will fill in where her antibodies are with the newest test I am sure she will have to have.

There’s a doctor on TikTok who updates on his antibodies number every month since his Covid vaccine. Next time I come across him I’ll post it on here

kizer permanente

Fri, Aug 20, 2021 7:09 AM
posted by sportchampps

There’s a doctor on TikTok who updates on his antibodies number every month since his Covid vaccine. Next time I come across him I’ll post it on here

I’ve seen this dude  dunno if he’s who you’re talking about or not  

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMRF2247p/

iclfan2

Reppin' the 330/216/843

Fri, Aug 20, 2021 12:31 PM

Lol

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Fri, Aug 20, 2021 12:35 PM

Not quite as bad as the obamacare website.

gut

Fri, Aug 20, 2021 12:38 PM
posted by justincredible

Not quite as bad as the obamacare website.

Although this does seem like a case where a national app/solution would make more sense.  If 20 states do this ~ half a BILLION for a frickin' app?!?  I should have learned to code...

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Fri, Aug 20, 2021 12:46 PM

I would quit my job before contributing code to a vaccine passport application.

gut

Fri, Aug 20, 2021 12:53 PM
posted by justincredible

I would quit my job before contributing code to a vaccine passport application.

I'd code the whole app, and then laugh at the peasants from the sanctuary of my private island.

iclfan2

Reppin' the 330/216/843

Fri, Aug 20, 2021 1:20 PM

🧐 

Fletch

Fri, Aug 20, 2021 7:09 PM
posted by gut

Although this does seem like a case where a national app/solution would make more sense.  If 20 states do this ~ half a BILLION for a frickin' app?!?  I should have learned to code...

Oh it’s 100% gonna happen if that much money is involved,  half of that will be siphoned through DC

GOONx19

An exceptional poster.

Sat, Aug 21, 2021 10:30 AM
posted by jmog

Antibody test results...

Antibody response reporting varies by site, lab, and test. Without knowing the units and type of measurement of the 0.8 - 1.4 numbers to which you're referring, I'm assuming that it's U/mL of the spike protein. Because of known variations from test to test, neither the FDA nor CDC has, to my knowledge, ever weighed in on how to interpret these results. The FDA certainly wouldn't; it's not within their scope. They would simply validate the use of whatever thresholds the specific test manufacturer establishes (or reject those thresholds).

There is no clinical evidence to support any claim that a certain threshold of this value is "enough antibody to fight off a COVID-19 infection". That data doesn't currently exist and probably never will. We can measure the level of circulating spike antibodies and circulating neutralizing antibodies, but using it to predict clinical response is not possible without further scrutiny in a lab.

If we're simply using anecdotes, both of my in-laws had symptomatic COVID in January and have antibody levels measured every 1-2 months for plasma donation. Both dropped to "undetectable" levels (both IgG and IgM) in July. They may still have T-cells that might mount a response if exposed, but those aren't measured by antibody tests.

There is no need for anecdotes, though. There are many studies that have examined the durability of COVID antibody response following infection, including those stratified by symptom severity. Here's the most recent high-quality study of which I'm aware:  https://doi.org/10.1038/s41467-021-24979-9. This showed durable antibody response at 7 months. Here's the longest follow-up period (12 months) of which I'm aware: https://doi.org/10.1186/s12916-021-02032-2.

The duration of antibody response means nothing if we're not measuring binding activity. Coronavirus is traditionally a seasonal virus, and we have plenty of evidence that antibodies against other Coronavirus variants (pre-COVID) last 12+ months. The problem is that mutations in the virus (e.g. delta variant and beyond) may diminish the value of those antibodies.

This is, in my opinion, the most telling study available about the value of antibodies: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8369496/. They mapped out 3800 COVID variants (99.6% of all possible variants) and tested the binding activity of antibodies against the possible variants for subjects with both vaccine-induced antibodies and natural antibodies. After 3-5 months, patients who received the vaccine had antibodies with activity against 80-99% of possible variants (mean ~95%). Patients with natural antibodies had acitivity against 30-98% of possible variants (mean ~81%). So the vaccine is working against a greater portion of possible variants at 5 months, and vaccine-induced immunity is likely less susceptible to erosion by vaccine mutations.

All this to say, if your wife's antibody binding isn't measured (I recognize that there is no way for the general public to have this performed), then there's no way to determine that the antibodies which are present would even be effective against whatever variants are currently in the community.

gut

Sat, Aug 21, 2021 3:34 PM

Yep, there's a new study out (I didn't bother to examine it) that says cloth masks are only about 10% effective.  The recommendation is everyone wear N95 or KN95, which are 50% effective (I hoped it would be higher than that).

Again, given how infectious Delta is, the cloth masks are basically useless.  And the N95 probably won't protect you for hours on end.

Prepare for schools to be shut down again, because for some reason we don't have an approved vaccine for kids yet.  But I've not seen evidence think kids under 12 need to be vaccinated.

It seems like we are moving from "flatten the curve" to "eradicate the disease", which is of course a completely unrealistic goal.  But impossible goals seem to be all the rage today.  Pseudo-science is crushing common sense.

BR1986FB

Sat, Aug 21, 2021 4:31 PM
posted by iclfan2

🧐 

Are the waiters & cooks going to be required to produce proof they've been vaccinated, haven't tested positive for hepatitis and aren't recreational (hard, not weed) drug users to these customers needing proof of vaccination? Yeah, didn't think so. So much for HIPPA laws.

Automatik

Sat, Aug 21, 2021 5:39 PM

I just added my record to the Clear app. Took about 1 minute.

Side note. Is this service even worth it at airports? I usually blow past their reps when they try to talk to me. They are shopping a few free months.

GOONx19

An exceptional poster.

Sat, Aug 21, 2021 5:42 PM
posted by gut

Prepare for schools to be shut down again, because for some reason we don't have an approved vaccine for kids yet. 

This doesn’t make a difference for schools this fall, but fwiw, we’re anticipating approval for the 5-11 year age group by mid-September. I think the hospital where I work was the largest Pfizer enrollment site for the Phase 3 trial.