Covid-19 discussion, continued...

gut

Thu, Aug 12, 2021 2:10 PM
posted by queencitybuckeye

Not how I read it being, well, literate. What it actually says is that such infections don't mean the vaccine doesn't work. It just means it's not 100% effective, just like everything else in medicine and the world.

New research, subject to review, suggesting Phizer is only 43% effective against Delta.  That's NOT an effective vaccine.  Vaccines ARE supposed to prevent infections (to stop spread and mutations), which is different than saying it still has value being so good at preventing serious infection.

Moderna is supposedly still doing quite well against Delta.  The guess is Moderna protection was more robust because people received a higher dose, and 4 weeks instead of 3 apart.

In any event, getting even half the population to get boosters is going to be extremely challenging, I suspect.

Fletch

Thu, Aug 12, 2021 2:13 PM
posted by queencitybuckeye

Not how I read it being, well, literate. What it actually says is that such infections don't mean the vaccine doesn't work. It just means it's not 100% effective, just like everything else in medicine and the world.

The point was how fast the narrative by the left wing media is to change the facts.  You actually believe they didnt know the vaccine was only going to be 43% effective?  Remember when they told us its 95%?

This wont be the first or the last huge swing in the "science" that will be pushed in a political way.

gut

Thu, Aug 12, 2021 2:26 PM
posted by Fletch

The point was how fast the narrative by the left wing media is to change the facts.  You actually believe they didnt know the vaccine was only going to be 43% effective?  Remember when they told us its 95%?

It WAS 95%.  Immunity is waning, as expected.  Seems maybe that can be fixed with a booster shot.  And a while back, there was talk that mixing vaccines could possibly provide better overall immunity.

Heretic

Son of the Sun

Thu, Aug 12, 2021 2:47 PM
posted by gut
It WAS 95%.  Immunity is waning, as expected.  Seems maybe that can be fixed with a booster shot.  And a while back, there was talk that mixing vaccines could possibly provide better overall immunity.

I think that explaining anything science-related to any of CC's accounts is about as fruitful as explaining quantum physics to a toddler birthed by an alcoholic chain-smoking crack-whore who was using regularly throughout the entire pregnancy.

Ironman92

Administrator

Thu, Aug 12, 2021 2:57 PM

3390 cases today, most since 2/2

Not exciting 

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Thu, Aug 12, 2021 3:11 PM
posted by Fletch

This wont be the first or the last huge swing in the "science" that will be pushed in a political way.

I don't think you even read the article you posted.  I explains that breakthrough cases are not a way to measure a vaccines effectiveness.  It explains the why and how.  

The people that make this entirely political are a thorn in our collective side.  And you're one of them.  I don't know if you're intelligent or not, but you are not well-informed.  You very clearly have an extreme political leaning and then you backfill things into it to support your stance.  

If you don't like then vaccine, then DON'T FUCKING TAKE IT!.  Go live your life and quit sifting through stupid "news" stories looking for "gotcha" stats.  

gut

Thu, Aug 12, 2021 3:14 PM
posted by Ironman92

3390 cases today, most since 2/2

Not exciting 

Given vaccinated + already had it is well over 50% most places, that's pretty shocking.  That's only about 2 weeks after vaccinations started rolling out in significant numbers.

Delta seems more likely to put people in the hospital, and possibly more deadly if not for all the treatment protocols learned over the past 18 months.

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Thu, Aug 12, 2021 3:26 PM

Isn't the natural path of most viruses to become more contagious (more cases) but less deadly?

friendfromlowry

Thu, Aug 12, 2021 7:32 PM
posted by gut

New research, subject to review, suggesting Phizer is only 43% effective against Delta.  That's NOT an effective vaccine.  Vaccines ARE supposed to prevent infections (to stop spread and mutations), which is different than saying it still has value being so good at preventing serious infection.

Moderna is supposedly still doing quite well against Delta.  The guess is Moderna protection was more robust because people received a higher dose, and 4 weeks instead of 3 apart.

In any event, getting even half the population to get boosters is going to be extremely challenging, I suspect.

My wife who also works on a Covid floor at a major hospital was saying something similar last night. The vaccinated ones who are getting sick all seem to have had the Pfizer doses. 

gut

Thu, Aug 12, 2021 7:41 PM
posted by justincredible

Isn't the natural path of most viruses to become more contagious (more cases) but less deadly?

I've heard that.  And it makes sense, but you don't have most of the medical community alarmed over it mutating to something more deadly because it never happens.

iclfan2

Reppin' the 330/216/843

Thu, Aug 12, 2021 8:11 PM
posted by friendfromlowry

My wife who also works on a Covid floor at a major hospital was saying something similar last night. The vaccinated ones who are getting sick all seem to have had the Pfizer doses. 

I had Pfizer and wife had Moderna, we both got it (probly from 2 year old). Other than getting tested, could have just ignored it, not many symptoms. 

Hospitals are made to run at capacity to make money, so spare me the hysterics.  Unvaccinated may be growing, but if vaccinated you’ll basically be fine. 

friendfromlowry

Thu, Aug 12, 2021 10:09 PM
posted by iclfan2

I had Pfizer and wife had Moderna, we both got it (probly from 2 year old). Other than getting tested, could have just ignored it, not many symptoms. 

Hospitals are made to run at capacity to make money, so spare me the hysterics.  Unvaccinated may be growing, but if vaccinated you’ll basically be fine. 

What hysterics? Just saying that of the vaccinated who have gotten sick, it seems to lean more towards the Pfizer having issues. You don’t need to tell me that the vaccinated are doing much better than the non. 

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Thu, Aug 12, 2021 10:25 PM
posted by friendfromlowry

What hysterics? Just saying that of the vaccinated who have gotten sick, it seems to lean more towards the Pfizer having issues. You don’t need to tell me that the vaccinated are doing much better than the non. 

Could that be in part because of the area you are in - i.e. there were more Pfizer given than Moderna?  

iclfan2

Reppin' the 330/216/843

Fri, Aug 13, 2021 9:47 AM

j_crazy

7 gram rocks. how i roll.

Fri, Aug 13, 2021 10:04 AM
posted by justincredible

personally i have serious doubt that this virus in natural. i think it's origin maybe a natural virus, but i think it was engineered prior to the outbreak. my guess is it will follow that same path, but if we know anything about this at this point its that we don't know shit.

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Fri, Aug 13, 2021 10:06 AM
posted by iclfan2

For the moment, eh?

jmog

Fri, Aug 13, 2021 12:09 PM
posted by j_crazy

personally i have serious doubt that this virus in natural. i think it's origin maybe a natural virus, but i think it was engineered prior to the outbreak. my guess is it will follow that same path, but if we know anything about this at this point its that we don't know shit.

I don't think its really "controversial" anymore, its pretty well believed/known that the virus was altered by man and escaped a lab. 

Even though this was considered "conspiracy/QAnon" just a few months ago. FB/Twitter/etc were even deleting any posts/references to this not that long ago.

gut

Fri, Aug 13, 2021 12:42 PM
posted by jmog

I don't think its really "controversial" anymore, its pretty well believed/known that the virus was altered by man and escaped a lab.

The latest out of China is it started in Florida...

I also haven't seen much about it being altered.  Only 1 guy in an email to Fauci claiming he found markers no one else has appeared to confirm.

jmog

Fri, Aug 13, 2021 4:23 PM
posted by gut

The latest out of China is it started in Florida...

I also haven't seen much about it being altered.  Only 1 guy in an email to Fauci claiming he found markers no one else has appeared to confirm.

Wuhan was specifically working on this virus and specifically altered it to jump from a bat to human in order to see how it would affect humans IF it ever mutated into infecting humans.

That isn't disputed, what is disputed is that if that adaptation/whatever is what escaped the lab and started infecting people in Wuhan, if it was some other "natural" virus out of Wuhan lab, or if it really was the "live bat in a open air meat market".

jmog

Sat, Aug 14, 2021 9:23 AM

geeblock

Sat, Aug 14, 2021 1:45 PM

kizer permanente

Sat, Aug 14, 2021 2:18 PM
posted by geeblock

And that’s how you get on the FBI watch list 

iclfan2

Reppin' the 330/216/843

Sat, Aug 14, 2021 3:20 PM

FYI that video is a year old and at a time when the California government was bankrupting businesses with dumbass lockdown orders. Yes it’s a bit much…

majorspark

Sat, Aug 14, 2021 4:23 PM

So geeblock is worked up over a year old video of some dude threatening violence that never happened and Kizer wants to sic the feds on him.  Interesting.

Gardens35

Sat, Aug 14, 2021 9:07 PM

10 days ago DeSantis encouraged Floridians to "Live your life!". Evidently 1500 or so weren't listening.