OSU Football 2018

Home Forums Sports

slingshot4ever

Mon, Jan 7, 2019 2:22 PM

Looks like Day already hired Mattison from UM to replace Schiano.

FatHobbit

Mon, Jan 7, 2019 2:26 PM
posted by slingshot4ever

Is this good or bad after how they finished the season? 

slingshot4ever

Mon, Jan 7, 2019 2:27 PM

Mattison was the D line coach and I would say that was a strong part of the UM D....time will tell.....

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Mon, Jan 7, 2019 2:42 PM

Al Washington is probably coming south too. 

vball10set

paying it forward

Mon, Jan 7, 2019 2:46 PM
posted by slingshot4ever

I saw that he hired him, but not sure if it's as his DC?

Heretic

Son of the Sun

Mon, Jan 7, 2019 2:56 PM
posted by FatHobbit

Is this good or bad after how they finished the season? 

Overall, I'd say good. Their D was strong most of last year and to be completely fair to them, it seemed our guys were putting a physical pounding on their players in that game, to where I remember it feeling like someone was needing helped off the field for them pretty often. And against Florida, a couple of their best players were out for draft prep and a few of the others got hurt during that game. At least against us, it'd have been a pretty ugly look for their D no matter what, but I think injury/draft decimation made things somewhat worse for them down the stretch.

Either way, it'll be hard for the D to look worse than it did at times this year, with linebackers taking horrible routes and defensive backs being PI magnets. Get someone in to simply coach up our talent with the fundamentals so they can rely on more than their 4/5-star talent to make plays and I think you'd see an improvement just based off that.

vball10set

paying it forward

Mon, Jan 7, 2019 3:00 PM
posted by slingshot4ever

Mattison was the D line coach and I would say that was a strong part of the UM D....time will tell.....

one thing's for sure--as long as LJ is in Cbus, ain't nobody coaching the Dline except him...now linebackers? oh hell yes!

vball10set

paying it forward

Mon, Jan 7, 2019 3:02 PM
posted by wildcats20

Al Washington is probably coming south too. 

I certainly hope so--the guy's a helluva coach, and he's young too

slingshot4ever

Mon, Jan 7, 2019 3:15 PM
posted by vball10set

I saw that he hired him, but not sure if it's as his DC?

My sources say D coordinator.

slingshot4ever

Mon, Jan 7, 2019 3:16 PM

Haskins officially declares for the draft.  Interested to see if Fields gets hardship waiver.....

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Mon, Jan 7, 2019 3:23 PM

Jeff Hafley has been hired as well. He will be co-DC with Mattison. 

@Dan_Hope 

FatHobbit

Mon, Jan 7, 2019 3:44 PM

I'm hoping they keep Larry Johnson as defensive line coach...

FatHobbit

Mon, Jan 7, 2019 3:47 PM
posted by FatHobbit

I'm hoping they keep Larry Johnson as defensive line coach...

And I just read they have promoted him to associate head coach. That's great as far as i'm concerned. 

vball10set

paying it forward

Mon, Jan 7, 2019 3:51 PM
posted by slingshot4ever

Haskins officially declares for the draft.  Interested to see if Fields gets hardship waiver.....

I think it's a done deal...could you imagine the outcry if Patterson was allowed to play, but Fields wasn't--especially since he's playing the race card? He'll get the waiver...book it.

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Tue, Jan 8, 2019 11:50 AM

Absolutely LOVE that hire. 

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Tue, Jan 8, 2019 2:17 PM
posted by vball10set

...and the Buckeye Train keeps a rollin'....this is fricking crazy!

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2019/01/101474/michigan-linebackers-coach-al-washington-to-join-ohio-states-coaching-staff

As if it were enough that the Buckeyes have wood shedded Michigan on the field for the better part of the last 20 years, now they are moving into the football offices with the offensive.  

Basically Ohio State just pulled  Michigan's gym shorts down on the playground with the entire student body witnessing - and Michigan is wearing Incredible Hulk underpants.  

ernest_t_bass

12th Son of the Lama

Tue, Jan 8, 2019 2:55 PM

Makes you wonder if Harbaugh is sticking around for very much longer? 

vball10set

paying it forward

Tue, Jan 8, 2019 3:15 PM
posted by ernest_t_bass

Makes you wonder if Harbaugh is sticking around for very much longer? 

you read my mind, ETB, I was just coming on here to post that same sentiment...I posted on 11W that something's going on up there, and this Washington hire just confirmed it--I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Harbaugh announces he's bolting for the NFL...again

vball10set

paying it forward

Tue, Jan 8, 2019 4:23 PM

The hirings of Mattison and Washington are a massive perception and psychological blow to Michigan, which has lost seven consecutive games to Ohio State. Both coaches were extended offers for increased salary, sources told The Blade, and still chose to leave for Ohio State.

“For Michigan, losing Greg Mattison isn’t detrimental on paper given his age [69]. However, losing him — or anyone — to Ohio State is more icing on the Buckeyes’ cake,” Brandon Justice of TheWolverineLounge.com said. “Al Washington’s departure is far more impactful, both on paper and from the rivalry perspective. Washington was the best young recruiter on staff. He was making huge strides in Ohio, as Michigan added six from the state in its 2019 class.

“When your archrival embarrasses you on a national stage again, then steals two of your coaches, the embarrassment on the program’s image and its brand is significant. Jim Harbaugh is going to have to respond with two big-time hires.”

https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/ohio-state/2019/01/08/ohio-state-buckeyes-al-washington-michigan-assistant-leaves/stories/20190108129

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Tue, Jan 8, 2019 4:28 PM

KJ Hill coming back. Did not see that coming. 

SportsAndLady

Tue, Jan 8, 2019 4:35 PM
posted by wildcats20

KJ Hill coming back. Did not see that coming. 

That’s great news. 

What a day for buckeye football

Spock

Tue, Jan 8, 2019 5:01 PM

now all they need to do is not lose to Purdue