Covid-19 discussion, continued...

gut

Tue, Aug 3, 2021 6:05 PM
posted by justincredible

Looks like the program being used for the vaccine pass in NYC requires an ID to sign up. Interesting. 

Hahaha...this is going to be so much fun to watch develop.

Colleague was telling me about ClearPass or something like that, for airports, but that they were going to be expanding and partnering with event tickets, restaurants, etc...I believe they're also looking at including a vaccine passport in their service.

jmog

Tue, Aug 3, 2021 8:00 PM

My company, which has about 18,000 employees in the US (more worldwide, but just giving US numbers) just sent this out the other day…

Unfortunately, the number of positive cases per day among Our associates has soared from 2 per day in mid-July to 7 positive cases per day at the end of last week.”

So, if you do the math, given that the typical COVID infection lasts about 10 days, we went from 0.1% of the company being positive at any given time (about 20 people out of 18,000) to 0.3%…(about 70 people out of 18,000)

And we are going back to masks in the office for everyone starting tomorrow.

The email also blamed it on “non-vaccinated employees that are not adhering to wearing masks in the offices” which there is NO WAY for them to know that since with HIPAA laws they even admitted in an email at the beginning of June that they do not know and can not ask anyone’s Vaccine status.

friendfromlowry

Tue, Aug 3, 2021 8:13 PM

^^^ Bold move to assign blame like that. 

Fletch

Tue, Aug 3, 2021 8:47 PM
posted by friendfromlowry

You couldn’t be more incorrect and should just stop talking. The hospitals in the area are filling back up, having to reopen and expand Covid units that were previously closed. 

Last week whio reported 68 hospitalized “across the area”,  how many hospital beds are their in the Miami valley?  500 or more?  

gut

Tue, Aug 3, 2021 8:57 PM
posted by jmog

...since with HIPAA laws they even admitted in an email at the beginning of June that they do not know and can not ask anyone’s Vaccine status.

I've seen that mentioned a few places, and I feel like it MIGHT just be an excuse for not doing more.

If schools can deny admission if you don't provide proof of vaccination, I can't imagine the courts are going to say employers can't do the same.

But, goodness, the vaccines are 99.997% effective at preventing serious illness.  It's time to stop giving a shit about who is and who isn't vaccinated.  It's so much fear-based irrationality.  I swear, the more people dig-in about not being forced to do something, the more some people get fired up to make them do it.

friendfromlowry

Tue, Aug 3, 2021 9:31 PM
posted by Fletch

Last week whio reported 68 hospitalized “across the area”,  how many hospital beds are their in the Miami valley?  500 or more?  

You can’t look at it as simply as “well there’s 93 cases as of 8/3 but Miami Valley has 500+ beds so what’s the problem?” They take up a lot of staff and resources. There’s a lot to think about when treating patients like this. 

The other problem is the number continues to rise. There were < 10 in the area a month ago and now there’s almost 100. And that number will continue to rise. 

I’m not trying to play fear mongering media here. I don’t wear a mask or give a shit who’s vaccinated. I’m just telling you the hospital numbers are starting to rise again and that’s the worst thing for wanting to move on with our lives. 

sportchampps

Tue, Aug 3, 2021 10:00 PM

The number of people in hospital beds increases during flu season too but we don’t change require a vaccine 

friendfromlowry

Tue, Aug 3, 2021 10:10 PM
posted by sportchampps

The number of people in hospital beds increases during flu season to but we don’t change require a vacc

Flu patients don’t require a lot of maintenance. A lot of times it was just monitoring the already sick and elderly to make sure they didn’t get worse. Flu patients weren’t being proned (which takes 5-6 people to do), using ventilators for sometimes weeks at a time, and suffering from multi-organ failure. 

Also, I couldn’t tell from your poorly worded post, but did you forget about the flu vaccine there for a moment? A vaccine that a lot of employers do require.

sportchampps

Tue, Aug 3, 2021 11:33 PM

Flu patients don’t require a lot of maintenance. A lot of times it was just monitoring the already sick and elderly to make sure they didn’t get worse. Flu patients weren’t being proned (which takes 5-6 people to do), using ventilators for sometimes weeks at a time, and suffering from multi-organ failure. 

Also, I couldn’t tell from your poorly worded post, but did you forget about the flu vaccine there for a moment? A vaccine that a lot of employers do require.

And yet some nurses are still laid off. Don’t tell me they couldn’t be employed to help prone patients if that was such a worry.

friendfromlowry

Wed, Aug 4, 2021 12:00 AM
posted by sportchampps

And yet some nurses are still laid off. Don’t tell me they couldn’t be employed to help prone patients if that was such a worry.

No one is fucking laid off anymore and haven’t been in months. When they shut down surgeries and outpatient services last year those nurses were relocated or could take time off but they’ve been brought back a long time ago. 

They’re offering $15K sign on bonuses where I work for nurses. Gtfo with the laid off stuff. That hasn’t happened in over a year.

sportchampps

Wed, Aug 4, 2021 12:53 AM

My niece works for MT Carmel and they still have 15% of their nursing staff laid off. She’s switching to her dream position at Children’s next week and said she was told they are understaffed as well.

friendfromlowry

Wed, Aug 4, 2021 1:13 AM
posted by sportchampps

My niece works for MT Carmel and they still have 15% of their nursing staff laid off. She’s switching to her dream position at Children’s next week and said she was told they are understaffed as well.

Understaffed as in not enough staff right? Regardless, they’re about to get fucked in a couple months when RSV season starts.

As for the 15%, send them my way. They’ll get a 15K sign on bonus and I’ll get a referral bonus lol. 

gut

Wed, Aug 4, 2021 1:26 AM

Understaffed as in not enough staff right? Regardless, they’re about to get fucked in a couple months when RSV season starts.

As for the 15%, send them my way. They’ll get a 15K sign on bonus and I’ll get a referral bonus lol.

LOL, I always get a kick out of people who insist reality is different from what people actually living it claim. 

Normally it's Marxists who never came within 1 mile of a Board room but think they know how business works.  But Covid has not been stingy to bro science...

And I've never known you to push an agenda...just call it as you see it.

brutus161

The Navy Guy

Wed, Aug 4, 2021 8:20 AM
posted by jmog

The email also blamed it on “non-vaccinated employees that are not adhering to wearing masks in the offices” which there is NO WAY for them to know that since with HIPAA laws they even admitted in an email at the beginning of June that they do not know and can not ask anyone’s Vaccine status.

This is not a fucking HIPAA violation. Holy shit, how many times does this have to be explained?

queencitybuckeye

Wed, Aug 4, 2021 8:37 AM
posted by brutus161
This is not a fucking HIPAA violation. Holy shit, how many times does this have to be explained?

Didn't seem to make sense. A company can require vaccines but can't know someone's vaccine status?

jmog

Wed, Aug 4, 2021 8:56 AM
posted by brutus161

Read my post again, I didn’t say it was, the company did in June.

Are you saying it is not a HIPAA violation for a company to ask an employee about their health choices?

queencitybuckeye

Wed, Aug 4, 2021 9:30 AM
posted by jmog

Are you saying it is not a HIPAA violation for a company to ask an employee about their health choices?

Hipaa does not apply to most employers, just to healthcare providers, health plans, and healthcare clearinghouses. Your employer's health insurance provider would be violating HIPAA by telling the employer your vaccination status without your permission, but your company can require you to do so.

QuakerOats

Wed, Aug 4, 2021 9:33 AM

Many hospitals are short-staffed as are literally every business in the nation (because we continue to pay people NOT to work even though there are 9 million jobs available, but I digress).  The point is, hospitals are not full (and never really were), but they are short on staff and have used the excuse they are full instead of telling the truth about having a staffing problem (like every other employer has).  Then the media runs with it to promote panic and many people fall for it. 

queencitybuckeye

Wed, Aug 4, 2021 9:34 AM
posted by brutus161

iclfan2

Reppin' the 330/216/843

Wed, Aug 4, 2021 9:38 AM
posted by jmog

Employers asking about health choices would be covered by ADA, not HIPAA. Employers are allowed to ask about vaccination status. 

Fletch

Wed, Aug 4, 2021 10:42 AM

You can’t look at it as simply as “well there’s 93 cases as of 8/3 but Miami Valley has 500+ beds so what’s the problem?” They take up a lot of staff and resources. There’s a lot to think about when treating patients like this. 

The other problem is the number continues to rise. There were < 10 in the area a month ago and now there’s almost 100. And that number will continue to rise. 

I’m not trying to play fear mongering media here. I don’t wear a mask or give a shit who’s vaccinated. I’m just telling you the hospital numbers are starting to rise again and that’s the worst thing for wanting to move on with our lives. 

The curve is flat.  

brutus161

The Navy Guy

Wed, Aug 4, 2021 10:48 AM
posted by jmog

Yes, that's exactly what I am saying. It is not a HIPAA violation for any person (or corporation) to ask any other persona any question...ever. Revealing privileged information could possibly be a HIPAA violation (if said organization fell under HIPAA laws), but simply asking is not.  

friendfromlowry

Wed, Aug 4, 2021 10:51 AM
posted by Fletch

The curve is flat.  

When the conversation goes above your head, go back to this. 

I need to attend a meet this fall and talk to you in person. I don’t really think you’re as dumb as you act on here but it’s been a while so who knows. Maybe dlazz will come, too. 

Fletch

Wed, Aug 4, 2021 11:34 AM

When the conversation goes above your head, go back to this. 

I need to attend a meet this fall and talk to you in person. I don’t really think you’re as dumb as you act on here but it’s been a while so who knows. Maybe dlazz will come, too. 

Not sure who you are talking about or what a "meet" is but surely talking in person is always better then on this shithole.

As for the conversation going over my head.....no not really.  I can list 10 different narratives that have been pushed on us to keep us in the grips of the government that has long since been either debunked or have ran its course......when they do, the powers that be just move the goalpost.

You do remember "flatten the curve" dont you?  It was the first justification to tear us down to their power.

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Wed, Aug 4, 2021 11:38 AM

An interesting statistic I read this morning.  According to the AMA, >96% of physicians (MDs) are vaccinated while <50% of nurses are.