Covid-19 discussion, continued...

jmog

Wed, Sep 2, 2020 12:14 PM
posted by QuakerOats

I know full well what is going on, and I appreciate your concern.

Your posts prove otherwise.

jmog

Wed, Sep 2, 2020 12:14 PM
posted by sportchampps

I think the thing people should be focusing on from that report is the median age of death. 

That is a key statistic.

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Wed, Sep 2, 2020 12:46 PM

COVID is very serious and can be horrible for certain people.  I personally have never felt otherwise about it.  This business about it being a "cold" or whatever else is nonsense.  My entire problem  with the last six months is that people need to be allowed to make the decision themselves about how they need to go about their lives in light of the risk.  If someone is in a high risk category, our society should do everything possible to allow them to attend school, work, shop, etc in a way that limits their chances of exposure.  I  have zero problem with whatever needs to be done to make this possible.  In many/most cases, these accomodations have been made.   This goes for people who have the potential to expose someone who is high risk as well.

The problem is then restricting basic things for everyone else who either 1) is very low risk or 2) has decided that they are willing to live with their higher risk category.  This is complete crap.   Keeping kids away from school, closing offices for 6-18 months, restricting small businesses from operating, restricting travel over state lines are all terrible options because they are (and will continue to) cost our society exponetially more than the risk of COVID (i.e. lost income, other health issues not being addressed, horrible mental health developments, huge increases in drug and alcohol abuse).  It also promotes this sort of "tuck tail and run" mentality that is a terrible example for our children.  This last point is what makes me mad about the Big Ten's stupid decision.  Sure I'll miss the football, but I can live with that.  What's worse is the complete going to pieces mentality it showed.  

My rant is over.  Sorry.

Spock

Wed, Sep 2, 2020 1:30 PM

Obesity related deaths top 600,000 a year.  We arent keeping people out of the grocery stores.

This has entered overreach many weeks ago

Fab4Runner

Tits McGee

Wed, Sep 2, 2020 1:31 PM
posted by Spock

Obesity related deaths top 600,000 a year.  We arent keeping people out of the grocery stores.

This has entered overreach many weeks ago

Is that contagious?

friendfromlowry

Wed, Sep 2, 2020 2:40 PM
posted by Fab4Runner

Is that contagious?

Don’t waste your time. People still trying to compare this to something else that isn’t contagious might be the most helpless bunch out there. 

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Wed, Sep 2, 2020 3:13 PM
posted by friendfromlowry

Don’t waste your time. People still trying to compare this to something else that isn’t contagious might be the most helpless bunch out there. 

I hate to side with Spock, but he has a fair point.  Pointing out that other risks are tolerated does not mean someone denies that COVID is contagious or serious.   But the people that are at a legitimate risk from it are able to take measures to greatly reduce their exposure.  Why restrict everyone (the vast majority) else?  The same logic could apply to what Spock said.  

friendfromlowry

Wed, Sep 2, 2020 5:08 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

I hate to side with Spock, but he has a fair point.  Pointing out that other risks are tolerated does not mean someone denies that COVID is contagious or serious.   But the people that are at a legitimate risk from it are able to take measures to greatly reduce their exposure.  Why restrict everyone (the vast majority) else?  The same logic could apply to what Spock said.  

Except Spock has denied the seriousness of it numerous times, but that's another topic. And I don't think the same logic could be applied to what Spock said because he's talking about something that is contagious vs something that isn't. Last year before all this, I didn't care if the 350lb guy accidentally bumped into me at the store grabbing the Doritos. But I probably care if he bumped into me and was unknowingly positive, right? For the record, I'm not completely for the restrictions, either. Iowa State - one of the hardest hit areas of the country was planning to let 25K for their home opener football game soon (they reversed that today.) But I wouldn't have cared if they had fans. I probably wouldn't have gone given the chance. But we also don't know what the legitimate risk categories are, either. And that's probably the most important point. I think obesity and age are the biggest ones. But there's been correlation with blood types (type A more at risk), low vitamin D levels, etc. By this point, we all know or have heard of someone who got sick or died and we were a bit surprised. So I don't think it's as simple as saying "Hey you're 75 years old, probably shouldn't go to the store." Or "You're diabetic, no football games for you this year."

Heretic

Son of the Sun

Wed, Sep 2, 2020 6:46 PM

posted by friendfromlowry

Except Spock has denied the seriousness of it numerous times, but that's another topic. And I don't think the same logic could be applied to what Spock said because he's talking about something that is contagious vs something that isn't. Last year before all this, I didn't care if the 350lb guy accidentally bumped into me at the store grabbing the Doritos. But I probably care if he bumped into me and was unknowingly positive, right? For the record, I'm not completely for the restrictions, either. Iowa State - one of the hardest hit areas of the country was planning to let 25K for their home opener football game soon (they reversed that today.) But I wouldn't have cared if they had fans. I probably wouldn't have gone given the chance. But we also don't know what the legitimate risk categories are, either. And that's probably the most important point. I think obesity and age are the biggest ones. But there's been correlation with blood types (type A more at risk), low vitamin D levels, etc. By this point, we all know or have heard of someone who got sick or died and we were a bit surprised. So I don't think it's as simple as saying "Hey you're 75 years old, probably shouldn't go to the store." Or "You're diabetic, no football games for you this year."

Agree on this, from the "CC's an idiot making apples-to-oranges comparisons because that's all his tiny, malformed brain can think to write" to the rest of it, as well.

To me, the main problem is that it really doesn't seem like people are all that good at walking the it-really-shouldn't-be-a-fine line between being completely over-the-top one way or the other about this...or most things that can be tied into politics and whatnot.

On one hand, you have the "BUT MUH RITES!!!!!" crowd acting like wearing a mask in public settings is the single most oppressive thing anyone has ever made anyone do throughout the history of humanity, idiots like CC comparing a contagious disease to obesity and tools like Quaker trumpeting SIX PERCENT without bothering to do anything resembling conscious thought on things like how one disease might effect another health condition.

On the other hand, you have people who constantly are looking to move the goalposts on how things need to be shut down and no one should do anything fun that involves being around any number of people until no one is catching anything at all from anyone. To the degree that all I'm catching is a total lack of self-awareness as to how stupid they sound when acting like some new incident totally validates their feelings.

For example, today, I saw that the Sturgis bike rally was a top Twitter headline and clicked on it because I know a few people who went there. It was trending because one person who was there died of the 'Rona. The article added that a few hundred people who'd been there (260 in 11 states) wound up getting diagnosed/sick from it. Which would make a "big gatherings = bad" point if not for the teeny-tiny bit of information concerning how hundreds of thousands of people converge on this small town and the general vibe seems to be that masks and anything resembling caution are for pussies. That many people in one location with only a few hundred cases of a disease recorded and one death? That, uh, doesn't sound like some big cause for concern. But if you search Sturgis Motorcycle Rally on Twitter and scroll down the feed, you'll get "super-spreader events", "covidiots" and all the other fun buzz words to the degree that you get the idea that all these people learned fractions and proportions from CC.

friendfromlowry

Wed, Sep 2, 2020 10:12 PM

SHIT IT GOT THE ROCK

Spock

Thu, Sep 3, 2020 12:49 PM
posted by Heretic

Agree on this, from the "CC's an idiot making apples-to-oranges comparisons because that's all his tiny, malformed brain can think to write" to the rest of it, as well.

To me, the main problem is that it really doesn't seem like people are all that good at walking the it-really-shouldn't-be-a-fine line between being completely over-the-top one way or the other about this...or most things that can be tied into politics and whatnot.

On one hand, you have the "BUT MUH RITES!!!!!" crowd acting like wearing a mask in public settings is the single most oppressive thing anyone has ever made anyone do throughout the history of humanity, idiots like CC comparing a contagious disease to obesity and tools like Quaker trumpeting SIX PERCENT without bothering to do anything resembling conscious thought on things like how one disease might effect another health condition.

On the other hand, you have people who constantly are looking to move the goalposts on how things need to be shut down and no one should do anything fun that involves being around any number of people until no one is catching anything at all from anyone. To the degree that all I'm catching is a total lack of self-awareness as to how stupid they sound when acting like some new incident totally validates their feelings.

For example, today, I saw that the Sturgis bike rally was a top Twitter headline and clicked on it because I know a few people who went there. It was trending because one person who was there died of the 'Rona. The article added that a few hundred people who'd been there (260 in 11 states) wound up getting diagnosed/sick from it. Which would make a "big gatherings = bad" point if not for the teeny-tiny bit of information concerning how hundreds of thousands of people converge on this small town and the general vibe seems to be that masks and anything resembling caution are for pussies. That many people in one location with only a few hundred cases of a disease recorded and one death? That, uh, doesn't sound like some big cause for concern. But if you search Sturgis Motorcycle Rally on Twitter and scroll down the feed, you'll get "super-spreader events", "covidiots" and all the other fun buzz words to the degree that you get the idea that all these people learned fractions and proportions from CC.

No, my comparison was about the fact that we have free will to just let our societal health be total shit.  Eat what you want, smoke, take drugs etc......and do nothing about it (or very little).  Social acceptability and factors to enable someone to be so obese they cant walk but we will give you a scooter to drive around the store to by your fat food is all ok.  But to regulate, control and mitigate free will when it comes to this on  large parts of our society that arent at that big of a risk is BS.

Sure its contagious.  Let the healthy people go about their day, educate and not regulate to keep special parts of the population healthy.  

QuakerOats

Fri, Sep 4, 2020 3:01 PM

Big news from Pfizer, according to CNBC, as CEO Albert Bourla says that the company could have results from its phase three trial as soon as October. Here’s a quick recap of the company’s efforts:

• The company has already been enrolling thousands of participants in its late-stage trial, and the results will determine whether Pfizer submits the drug for regulatory approval by the FDA. Ultimately, the company hopes to include about 30,000 people around the world in the trials.
  • The Trump administration has agreed to pay Pfizer and its partner, BioNTech, nearly $2 billion to develop and deliver 100 million doses of their vaccine if it is successful.

Even if the drug is found to be safe and effective, we’ll need to clear some major hurdles like access and distribution. But for now, this good news should start your Friday off right.

gut

Fri, Sep 4, 2020 3:10 PM

There's already supposed to be a plan for distribution.  Thought I saw something about using the national guard or military to administer the roll out.

It would be inexcusable if they didn't have a well thought out plan to distribute a vaccine when they've had 6 months to prepare for it.  Obviously, however, that's a real possibility.

gut

Fri, Sep 4, 2020 3:16 PM
posted by like_that

Some good news https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-steroids-idUSKBN25T20D?taid=5f4fd7ce46b85b0001f9bc46&utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

Is that quote blacked out for anyone else?

I think I mentioned a few weeks ago - Remdesivir reduces mortality like 50%, steroids are like 20%....and obviously you can use both.  Convalescent plasma is now being questioned, I assume because Trump endorsed it and pushed for EUA.

So if you started out with something a little over 0.5% mortality, we're now getting closer to flu levels even before a vaccine.  Also, all these college kids getting diagnosed and very few are ending up in the hospital.

Spock

Fri, Sep 4, 2020 8:45 PM
posted by gut

Is that quote blacked out for anyone else?

I think I mentioned a few weeks ago - Remdesivir reduces mortality like 50%, steroids are like 20%....and obviously you can use both.  Convalescent plasma is now being questioned, I assume because Trump endorsed it and pushed for EUA.

So if you started out with something a little over 0.5% mortality, we're now getting closer to flu levels even before a vaccine.  Also, all these college kids getting diagnosed and very few are ending up in the hospital.

Yep...being held hostage because fat diabetics and old people might die.

QuakerOats

Wed, Sep 16, 2020 3:53 PM

office sign should first test covid vaccine government officials safe its good if die country is safe

gut

Sun, Sep 20, 2020 4:49 PM
posted by Spock

...Bill Gates...he is funding a German company on a virus vaccine.  Really....German????

What a terrible fucking human being.  I hope he rots in hell - 'Murica first fuck saving the planet!!!

Spock

Sun, Sep 20, 2020 6:57 PM
posted by gut
What a terrible fucking human being.  I hope he rots in hell - 'Murica first fuck saving the planet!!!

He doesnt get it both ways....you cant bitch about how well things arent going then not spend a billion of your 500 billion to help....and yes he should be funding American innovation.  The reason why he isnt is because he knows the US red tape is going to slow this down and Germany probably doesnt regulate as much.

Its the same as us spending a dollar if we have $500

ptown_trojans_1

Sun, Sep 20, 2020 7:26 PM
posted by Spock

He doesnt get it both ways....you cant bitch about how well things arent going then not spend a billion of your 500 billion to help....and yes he should be funding American innovation.  The reason why he isnt is because he knows the US red tape is going to slow this down and Germany probably doesnt regulate as much.

LoL if you think Germany does not regulate as much as the US. 

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Sun, Sep 20, 2020 9:34 PM
posted by Spock

Telling people how they should be giving their money away sounds pretty left wing to me. You pulling a Sleeper?