2019 NFL Regular Season Thread

Home Forums Sports

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Mon, Oct 7, 2019 10:55 AM
posted by ernest_t_bass

That Bengals pic is a growing trend in a majority of professional, and even college live sporting events.  There are definitely exceptions to this rule, but attendance is declining.  I've had friends that have said OSU games are even declining drastically.  The way ticket prices are, I have zero sympathy, either.  

True, but bengals fans have always been shitty and fickle.

vball10set

paying it forward

Mon, Oct 7, 2019 11:59 AM
posted by ernest_t_bass

I've had friends that have said OSU games are even declining drastically.  

your friends are wrong, as this simply isn't true

ernest_t_bass

12th Son of the Lama

Mon, Oct 7, 2019 12:47 PM
posted by vball10set

your friends are wrong, as this simply isn't true

Friend is an alumnus.  Said this is the first time that they'd ever offered the full slate of Big Ten games to him b/c of season ticket sales declines.  Maybe I misspoke in "overall attendance" in reference to OSU games, rather he meant alumni season tickets.  I have not been, so I cannot offer anecdote. 

Laley23

GOAT

Mon, Oct 7, 2019 1:14 PM

Events are simply better on TV.

This is slowly starting to change as leagues started finally allowing in house production a few years ago. Now they are demanding even better production and graphics/replays. Stadium directors are in fights in a lot of places because they want the eyes on the field, not the Jumbotron, but leagues want eyes in the stadium period. 

gut

Mon, Oct 7, 2019 1:26 PM
posted by Laley23

The beer and the food is cheaper.  The view is [usually] better.  And in the case of football, the living room chair beats 4 hours of sub-freezing temps all day.

I still love going to a live game, occasionally, for the ambience and excitement.  But for that, it's hard to beat going to a team bar.

vball10set

paying it forward

Mon, Oct 7, 2019 1:27 PM
posted by Laley23

Only if you DVR them, because the amount of commercials is nauseating--and I hate DVR'ing live sporting events unless I'm unable to watch them live. I love going to live sporting events, especially football games--but I do agree that it's becoming more and more cost prohibitive.

ernest_t_bass

12th Son of the Lama

Mon, Oct 7, 2019 2:47 PM

I'm going to start another thread.

Laley23

GOAT

Mon, Oct 7, 2019 2:52 PM
posted by vball10set

Only if you DVR them, because the amount of commercials is nauseating--and I hate DVR'ing live sporting events unless I'm unable to watch them live. I love going to live sporting events, especially football games--but I do agree that it's becoming more and more cost prohibitive.

So you enjoy watching nothing on the field instead? Most people turn the channel during commercials. Its not like they keep playing through them if youre at the game.

vball10set

paying it forward

Mon, Oct 7, 2019 3:21 PM
posted by Laley23

So you enjoy watching nothing on the field instead? Most people turn the channel during commercials. Its not like they keep playing through them if youre at the game.

I'm not sure what games you go to, but there's always something going on on the field. Yes, you make a valid point regarding switching the channel, and there are a lot of pros for watching the game on TV--but for me these are valid points only when you're watching at home...jmo, buddy, jmo.

friendfromlowry

Mon, Oct 7, 2019 5:13 PM
posted by vball10set

I'm not sure what games you go to, but there's always something going on on the field. Yes, you make a valid point regarding switching the channel, and there are a lot of pros for watching the game on TV--but for me these are valid points only when you're watching at home...jmo, buddy, jmo.

I haven't been to a pro football game in a couple years but I don't remember any type of side entertainment. Sure with baseball there's usually something inbetween innings, but not with football. 

Laley23

GOAT

Mon, Oct 7, 2019 8:28 PM
posted by vball10set

I’m at football games every weekend. There isn’t anything going on.

Ironman92

Administrator

Mon, Oct 7, 2019 11:19 PM

I know Pittsburgh is 1-4, without Ben the rest of the way, maybe no Rudolph for a week or two and really not very good...but this division is open. Ravens very fortunate to beat Pittsburgh. Could easily be 3 2-3 teams atop the division.

Should've beaten Seahawks and had 49ers beat but couldn’t hold them off. PI’s overturned in both games hurt.

Steelers are going to go 4-12 and I’m going to feel like they blew it lol. Oh well, at least the Patriots are having some success for once.

friendfromlowry

Tue, Oct 8, 2019 12:16 AM
posted by Ironman92

I know Pittsburgh is 1-4, without Ben the rest of the way, maybe no Rudolph for a week or two and really not very good...but this division is open. Ravens very fortunate to beat Pittsburgh. Could easily be 3 2-3 teams atop the division.

Should've beaten Seahawks and had 49ers beat but couldn’t hold them off. PI’s overturned in both games hurt.

Steelers are going to go 4-12 and I’m going to feel like they blew it lol. Oh well, at least the Patriots are having some success for once.

Even for the Bengals??!!

Ironman92

Administrator

Tue, Oct 8, 2019 11:14 AM
posted by friendfromlowry

Even for the Bengals??!!

Only 3 games out...if Pittsburgh could finish a game Bengals only 2 out. All the team have a lot of work to do.

BR1986FB

Tue, Oct 8, 2019 11:36 AM
posted by Ironman92

Only 3 games out...if Pittsburgh could finish a game Bengals only 2 out. All the team have a lot of work to do.

Yeah, I'm skeptical on the Bengals. They have shown no signs of life and looks like they are close to a fire sale.

Ironman92

Administrator

Tue, Oct 8, 2019 11:55 AM
posted by BR1986FB

Yeah, I'm skeptical on the Bengals. They have shown no signs of life and looks like they are close to a fire sale.

Agree, just saying they could still be in striking distance 

BR1986FB

Tue, Oct 8, 2019 12:09 PM
posted by Ironman92

Agree, just saying they could still be in striking distance 

Yeah, anything's possible.

Heretic

Son of the Sun

Tue, Oct 8, 2019 1:33 PM

4 teams in the division. 0 good teams in the division. As a Steelers fan, I'll be pissed off at not being able to close out the Ravens (or Seattle...or San Fran...) because that could be the potential final straw (no Rudolph for at least one more game, 1-4 currently and the offense is pretty non-existent, forcing the D to be more than super-human because, as the SF game showed, not even forcing 5 TOs is enough to keep them above water). Browns fans have those "didn't even show up" games against Tennessee and SF to hate on. The Ravens have getting dominated by Cleveland to be pissed at. And Cincinnati has the simple fact that Mike Brown hasn't had a fatal heart attack to be disgusted by. Or that the front office decided Dalton was an actual franchise QB. Or that a legit great WR in Green is only healthy about 3 games a year.

The main positive: None of our teams are owned by Dan Snyder -- an owner who puts money into things and legit is trying to win, but is SO incompetent and dysfunctional that it ain't ever gonna happen. And, as a side positive, 7-8 wins might be enough to take the division, so it isn't like the season's over, no matter how bad it is looking at the time.

BR1986FB

Tue, Oct 8, 2019 7:52 PM
posted by Heretic

The main positive: None of our teams are owned by Dan Snyder -- an owner who puts money into things and legit is trying to win, but is SO incompetent and dysfunctional that it ain't ever gonna happen. And, as a side positive, 7-8 wins might be enough to take the division, so it isn't like the season's over, no matter how bad it is looking at the time.

Speaking of which, Jason LaCanfora has the odds on favorite for the Skins' next head coach to be Mike Tomlin. MT has 2-3 years left on his deal and it's rumored he (Snyder) may be willing to part with draft picks to get Tomlin.

Ironman92

Administrator

Tue, Oct 8, 2019 8:33 PM
posted by BR1986FB

Speaking of which, Jason LaCanfora has the odds on favorite for the Skins' next head coach to be Mike Tomlin. MT has 2-3 years left on his deal and it's rumored he (Snyder) may be willing to part with draft picks to get Tomlin.

Would be dumb to go to that train wreck but I’m sure his contract would be high end.

This year maybe a wash, but Pittsburgh far more stable situation.

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Wed, Oct 9, 2019 9:11 AM

I would not want to work for Dan Snyder. No friggin' way. 

friendfromlowry

Wed, Oct 9, 2019 12:49 PM

Anytime you can work for someone who asked your predecessor to show up at 5am to get fired, you gotta do it. 

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Thu, Oct 10, 2019 9:12 PM

Brady is starting to remind me of Manning at the end. Not a whole lot of zip and missing easy throws. 

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Thu, Oct 10, 2019 11:13 PM

Full disclosure...when I posted that he looked like shit. 

Laley23

GOAT

Fri, Oct 11, 2019 8:21 AM
posted by wildcats20

Full disclosure...when I posted that he looked like shit. 

I honestly am not sure who can beat them, because their schedule is one of the easiest I have ever seen in this league. But they are not a good offense, at all. And we will see about the historic defense, because they’ve played probably the 5 worst teams in the NFL thus far. I’m not nearly as sold as some seem to be.