Home Forums Sports

Gardens35

Sun, Dec 2, 2018 9:56 PM

T. Bowden fired by Akron.

Laley23

GOAT

Mon, Dec 3, 2018 1:07 AM
posted by wildcats20

Aren't they locked in for like 10 years?

Maybe, but that wouldn’t matter if people raise enough voices. Plus, wouldn’t effect the bowls, as the first round would be home games.

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Mon, Dec 3, 2018 10:32 AM

I just looked at the slate of bowl games for the next 4-5 weeks.  Talk about a sad bunch of games.  Besides the playoffs and a few select bowls, who in the world has any interest in about 90% of those games.  College football's postseason is sad considering how beloved the sport is overally.  These minor bowl games are like high school games - only the players and their parents will likely have any interest. 

As for OSU not getting into the playoff.  I'm disappointed for sure. But Ohio State's loss to Purdue is impossible to look past.  Had Georgia or Oklahoma either lost a game like that to a team like that, Ohio State fans would be rightly angry about being passed over by either.  But there is just no way to overlook it.  Maybe it will be motivation to avoid a loss like that for a third straight year.  

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Mon, Dec 3, 2018 10:35 AM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

I just looked at the slate of bowl games for the next 4-5 weeks.  Talk about a sad bunch of games.  Besides the playoffs and a few select bowls, who in the world has any interest in about 90% of those games.  College football's postseason is sad considering how beloved the sport is overally.  These minor bowl games are like high school games - only the players and their parents will likely have any interest. 

As for OSU not getting into the playoff.  I'm disappointed for sure. But Ohio State's loss to Purdue is impossible to look past.  Had Georgia or Oklahoma either lost a game like that to a team like that, Ohio State fans would be rightly angry about being passed over by either.  But there is just no way to overlook it.  Maybe it will be motivation to avoid a loss like that for a third straight year.  

This is why I hate the "WeLl Wat AbOuT TeH BoWl GaMes?!?!" argument when you're debating playoff expansion.  

You're telling me you rather save a few meaningless bowl games instead of adding a couple more meaninfull college games?

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Tue, Dec 4, 2018 11:51 AM

Kilff on board at USC as the O Coordinator. 

Classyposter58

Tue, Dec 4, 2018 8:01 PM
posted by like_that

This is why I hate the "WeLl Wat AbOuT TeH BoWl GaMes?!?!" argument when you're debating playoff expansion.  

You're telling me you rather save a few meaningless bowl games instead of adding a couple more meaninfull college games?

What is sad are the amount of players skipping bowl games, expanding the playoffs would only continue to make the bowls lesser. The reason this is bad is because you're going to continue losing parity as essentially the only thing that matters is making the playoffs, so all of your top recruits are going to go to only a handful of schools. Just look at the landscape of college football since its inception, OSU-Alabama-Clemson-Oklahoma have dominated their conferences and are in the discussion on a regular basis. Everyone talks about how FCS has one, they also have North Dakota State and James Madison in the finals every single year

SportsAndLady

Tue, Dec 4, 2018 8:46 PM
posted by Classyposter58

What is sad are the amount of players skipping bowl games, expanding the playoffs would only continue to make the bowls lesser. The reason this is bad is because you're going to continue losing parity as essentially the only thing that matters is making the playoffs, so all of your top recruits are going to go to only a handful of schools. Just look at the landscape of college football since its inception, OSU-Alabama-Clemson-Oklahoma have dominated their conferences and are in the discussion on a regular basis. Everyone talks about how FCS has one, they also have North Dakota State and James Madison in the finals every single year

Why, in every post, do you try and compare apples to oranges?

MontyBrunswick

Tue, Dec 4, 2018 9:22 PM
posted by Classyposter58

Everyone talks about how FCS has one, they also have North Dakota State and James Madison in the finals every single year

there have been 518 total appearances in the fcs playoff.

james madison is responsible for 15 of those appearances

north dakota state is responsible for 9 of those appearances

those are simply appearances, not championship wins.

so no, you're wrong. like normal. shut up.

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Tue, Dec 4, 2018 9:33 PM
posted by Classyposter58

Yes, I am sure expanding the playoffs is what would keep schools like Bowling Green down. 

slingshot4ever

Wed, Dec 5, 2018 2:21 AM
posted by MontyBrunswick

Where do you get 518 from...I'm curious

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Wed, Dec 5, 2018 3:42 AM

I think the number is 632 since 1978, which was the first year for the playoffs. 

Automatik

Wed, Dec 5, 2018 9:32 AM

Heisman thoughts?

I'm pulling for Murray.

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Wed, Dec 5, 2018 9:37 AM

Probably Tua. Although I think Haskins had the best overall season. 

MontyBrunswick

Wed, Dec 5, 2018 9:48 AM
posted by slingshot4ever

Where do you get 518 from...I'm curious

posted by wildcats20

I think the number is 632 since 1978, which was the first year for the playoffs. 

Totaled the appearances column on 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_playoff_appearances_by_team

they started with 4 teams in 78 and then expanded later on

Laley23

GOAT

Wed, Dec 5, 2018 2:22 PM
posted by Automatik

Heisman thoughts?

I'm pulling for Murray.

I hate Alabama, but I think it should be Tua. His season was ridiculous and he didn’t play the equivalent of like 2 games lol.

vball10set

paying it forward

Wed, Dec 5, 2018 2:47 PM
posted by Laley23

I hate Alabama, but I think it should be Tua. His season was ridiculous and he didn’t play the equivalent of like 2 games lol.

and this is why he shouldn't win it--that, and he not only had a mediocre game against Auburn, but got hurt yet again in the SEC CG and Hurts had to come in and bail the team out...heart says Haskins, head says Murray

Laley23

GOAT

Wed, Dec 5, 2018 5:10 PM
posted by vball10set

and this is why he shouldn't win it--that, and he not only had a mediocre game against Auburn, but got hurt yet again in the SEC CG and Hurts had to come in and bail the team out...heart says Haskins, head says Murray

Wait, because he didn’t play a 4th quarter until November he shouldn’t win? Should he have been worse the first 3 quarters so that he could’ve played longer?

He was bad in the title game. Not sure what Auburn game you watched lol...but if that was mediocre not sure Haskins had a good game all year.

Classyposter58

Wed, Dec 5, 2018 5:55 PM
posted by MontyBrunswick

I'm not sure why you're using those stats but currently North Dakota State absolutely dominates that division with a team that is probably a top 20 team in FBS.  It's just shocking to see college football like this today, where most of your major conferences are pretty much owned by one team

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Wed, Dec 5, 2018 7:11 PM

Anyone see the irony of classy jerking off to the warriors, but crying about college playoffs?

Spock

Wed, Dec 5, 2018 9:44 PM

Tau played the Citadel.....take those stats out.  

vball10set

paying it forward

Thu, Dec 6, 2018 7:51 AM
posted by Laley23

Wait, because he didn’t play a 4th quarter until November he shouldn’t win? Should he have been worse the first 3 quarters so that he could’ve played longer?

He was bad in the title game. Not sure what Auburn game you watched lol...but if that was mediocre not sure Haskins had a good game all year.

This makes no sense, but I have to consider the source...and you are right regarding the Auburn game, I was mistaken. That being said, Murray and Haskins are more deserving, but... SEC bias will yet again dictate the award.

SportsAndLady

Thu, Dec 6, 2018 8:08 AM
posted by vball10set

This makes no sense, but I have to consider the source...and you are right regarding the Auburn game, I was mistaken. That being said, Murray and Haskins are more deserving, but... SEC bias will yet again dictate the award.

No, he’s right. You don’t punish a player because he was so good for 3 quarters that he didn’t even need to play thr4th  because his team was destroying them

superman

Thu, Dec 6, 2018 8:18 AM

I think the SEC championship game prove that Tua is just a product of the system/talent around him.  

SportsAndLady

Thu, Dec 6, 2018 8:39 AM
posted by superman

I think the SEC championship game prove that Tua is just a product of the system/talent around him.  

I hate the SEC and Bama. But Tua is very good. He was clearly injured in that CG. 

Bama qbs always look better than they are because of what you said. But Tua is on another level.