2018 College Football Thread

Home Forums Sports

SportsAndLady

Sat, Dec 1, 2018 5:39 PM
posted by sportswizuhrd

I would think Bama still gets in. All Conferences and Divisions aren’t created equally (duh). Can’t exactly punish them because the #4 team in the nation is the other division winner and not a 3 loss Texas (including a loss to 5-7 Maryland), a 4 loss Northwestern (lost to Akron at home) or 5 loss Pittsburgh (lost to 2-9 UNC). 

That’s what we were all saying 

friendfromlowry

Sat, Dec 1, 2018 5:48 PM

UCF :-(

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Sat, Dec 1, 2018 5:56 PM

I won’t be surprised is Georgia still gets in with a close loss. 

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Sat, Dec 1, 2018 6:17 PM

Georgia looks like the overwhelming #1 team and Bama looks like top 15 at best. 

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Sat, Dec 1, 2018 6:22 PM

What type of score would knock Bama out? I’m thinking Georgia by 4 TDs. 

BR1986FB

Sat, Dec 1, 2018 6:25 PM
posted by wildcats20

Georgia looks like the overwhelming #1 team and Bama looks like top 15 at best. 

Had heard one of these analysts this week say he thought Georgia was the best team in the country. Looking like it right now.

SportsAndLady

Sat, Dec 1, 2018 6:28 PM

God it would be so sweet if Bama got left out. They have one good win at LSU (which isn’t looking great now), and that’s it. But because of the media creaming all over their blowouts of shit teams, they’ll prob still get in. 

Mulva

Sat, Dec 1, 2018 6:29 PM
posted by wildcats20

What type of score would knock Bama out? I’m thinking Georgia by 4 TDs. 

Bama won every game before today by at least 22 points. They’re in.

iclfan2

Reppin' the 330/216/843

Sat, Dec 1, 2018 6:30 PM

2 sec schools in playoff again, oh boy. Big 10 needs to lobby hard and blow it up to 8

SportsAndLady

Sat, Dec 1, 2018 6:31 PM
posted by iclfan2

2 sec schools in playoff again, oh boy. Big 10 needs to lobby hard and blow it up to 8

So fucking dumb. 

BR1986FB

Sat, Dec 1, 2018 6:32 PM

It should be 8. Too many teams that have an argument get left out.

gut

Sat, Dec 1, 2018 6:36 PM
posted by Mulva

Bama won every game before today by at least 22 points. They’re in.

Not that you're wrong, however only if this was a close competitive game would I say Bama should be in.  

But if you get dominated by another team already in the playoff in a conference championship, I don't think you should get in.  I think to have two teams from the same conference it needs to be a really high bar, like a classic game that people want to see a re-match.

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Sat, Dec 1, 2018 6:38 PM
posted by gut

Not that you're wrong, however only if this was a close competitive game would I say Bama should be in.  

But if you get dominated by another team already in the playoff in a conference championship, I don't think you should get in.  I think to have two teams from the same conference it needs to be a really high bar, like a classic game that people want to see a re-match.

Or just miss the conference championship all together, like last year. 

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Sat, Dec 1, 2018 6:39 PM

Saban might need to bench Tua. 

gut

Sat, Dec 1, 2018 6:39 PM
posted by BR1986FB

It should be 8. Too many teams that have an argument get left out.

IMO, you lose your conference championship on a neutral field and you have no right to play in the BCS.

BR1986FB

Sat, Dec 1, 2018 6:41 PM
posted by wildcats20

Saban might need to bench Tua. 

He's looking pretty pedestrian.

Classyposter58

Sat, Dec 1, 2018 6:44 PM

If UGA wins by double digits then Bama is probably out. No way do three conference champs and ND not make it

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Sat, Dec 1, 2018 6:44 PM

Waddle is fast. Damn. 

Mulva

Sat, Dec 1, 2018 6:48 PM
posted by gut

I don’t see any valid argument that they won’t have one of the 4 best resumes.

gut

Sat, Dec 1, 2018 6:58 PM
posted by Mulva

I don’t see any valid argument that they won’t have one of the 4 best resumes.

I don't think anyone is saying that.

But there is a strong case to be made that losing your conference championship eliminates you.  Losing later in the season obviously weighs more than losing earlier.  I don't view it as a playoff of the best 4 teams, but a playoff to determine the best team...and you already lost head-to-head against one of the others in the last week.

There has to be a pretty exceptional/extraordinary reason or circumstance to put two in from the same conference and deny one of the other conference champions with a legit reason to be in the playoff.

SportsAndLady

Sat, Dec 1, 2018 6:59 PM
posted by gut

IMO, you lose your conference championship on a neutral field and you have no right to play in the BCS.

BCS?

friendfromlowry

Sat, Dec 1, 2018 7:11 PM

Okay Tua is dead. Let's get on with it.

Iliketurtles

Sat, Dec 1, 2018 7:18 PM
posted by friendfromlowry

UCF :-(

UCF :-)

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Sat, Dec 1, 2018 7:23 PM

Playoff is set with a Clemson win. 

Only thing this game will have an impact on is seeding.

Mulva

Sat, Dec 1, 2018 7:25 PM

Pretty cool for Jalen Hurts.