2018 College Football Thread

Home Forums Sports

SportsAndLady

Wed, Nov 28, 2018 7:33 PM
posted by wildcats20

?? He turned Louisville down. 

He was trending on twitter, first few things I saw said he was telling his players he’s leaving. 

20 min later, it’s announced he’s staying at Purdue. Lol

derp on me 

Classyposter58

Thu, Nov 29, 2018 1:02 AM

This 8 team playoff stuff is annoying. Dan Patrick keeps discussing it, the Big 10 and Fox are not going to give up millions in ticket sales and ad sales so schools can host a playoff game

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Fri, Nov 30, 2018 9:18 AM
posted by Classyposter58

This 8 team playoff stuff is annoying. Dan Patrick keeps discussing it, the Big 10 and Fox are not going to give up millions in ticket sales and ad sales so schools can host a playoff game

THe problem is there is no "answer".  Pre-BCS, no one liked the fact that there wasn't a championship game.  BCS - championship game teams depended upon voting.  Four team playoff - 5th team is not happy.  8 team playoff - 9th team won't be happy.  16 team playoff - 17th team won't be happy, etc.  

vball10set

paying it forward

Fri, Nov 30, 2018 9:23 AM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

THe problem is there is no "answer".  Pre-BCS, no one liked the fact that there wasn't a championship game.  BCS - championship game teams depended upon voting.  Four team playoff - 5th team is not happy.  8 team playoff - 9th team won't be happy.  16 team playoff - 17th team won't be happy, etc.  

unfortunately this is true--how long before we go the FCS route?

BR1986FB

Fri, Nov 30, 2018 9:31 AM

To me, 8 is the perfect number. Put the conference winners of the Power 5 in and a couple of fringe teams. 16 is too many. Six might even be decent.

SportsAndLady

Fri, Nov 30, 2018 9:36 AM

Does anyone else listen to golic and wingo? Does anyone else think trey wingo is a huge tool?

BR1986FB

Fri, Nov 30, 2018 9:56 AM
posted by SportsAndLady

Does anyone else listen to golic and wingo? Does anyone else think trey wingo is a huge tool?

Most of those guys are. If TJ Houshmanzadeh were standing in front of me, right now, after what he said about Mayfield, I'd be tempted to try to knock him out.

vball10set

paying it forward

Fri, Nov 30, 2018 10:07 AM
posted by SportsAndLady

count me as another who thinks so too--he tries too damn hard to be 'hip', and he won't shut up when others are talking...the only reason I listen to G&W is because the only other sports related show on my drive to work in the a.m. is Clay Travis, and he's unbearable--I'd rather listen to nothing than listen to that clown.

Spock

Fri, Nov 30, 2018 10:16 AM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

they might complain but it would fall on def ears.  The 17th ranked team in any given year is a 3 loss dog.  The 8th team every year is a legit contender that deserves a shot at knocking off someone.  My guess is that we would see the 8 seed knock off the one seed within the first few years.  This isnt the 16 seed versus the 1 seed in bball

Laley23

GOAT

Fri, Nov 30, 2018 12:44 PM

To me, if it’s 6, I’ll never complain. Win your conference and you get in. STFU if you don’t. Don’t care if a 5-loss Northwestern makes it over 1-loss Georgia etc. Win your conference...everyone has that ability/chance.

vball10set

paying it forward

Fri, Nov 30, 2018 12:59 PM
posted by Laley23

Win your conference and you get in. STFU if you don’t. 

/thread

slingshot4ever

Fri, Nov 30, 2018 2:07 PM
posted by Laley23

To me, if it’s 6, I’ll never complain. Win your conference and you get in. STFU if you don’t. Don’t care if a 5-loss Northwestern makes it over 1-loss Georgia etc. Win your conference...everyone has that ability/chance.

I'm not a fan of that....not all conferences are created equal.  Outside of the Big 12, no other conference plays a true round robin format where each team gets a shot at all other teams in that conference.  Even if they expand, I want them to choose the best teams, regardless of conference affiliation.  

vball10set

paying it forward

Fri, Nov 30, 2018 2:16 PM
posted by slingshot4ever

I'm not a fan of that....not all conferences are created equal.  Outside of the Big 12, no other conference plays a true round robin format where each team gets a shot at all other teams in that conference.  Even if they expand, I want them to choose the best teams, regardless of conference affiliation.  

You make a valid point, but IMO, there has to be a reward for winning your conference. That being said, when they expand I think it should be 8 teams--the conference champions from the Power 5 with three at-large bids.

Heretic

Son of the Sun

Fri, Nov 30, 2018 3:11 PM
posted by slingshot4ever

posted by vball10set

You make a valid point, but IMO, there has to be a reward for winning your conference. That being said, when they expand I think it should be 8 teams--the conference champions from the Power 5 with three at-large bids.

I think those points (want the best teams AND winning a conference should matter) both say that 8 teams is FAR better than 6. Well, that and the simple fact that there's no real logistic difference between 6 and 8. You'll still have 1 additional round of playoffs, the only difference is that the two teams arbitrarily picked to be 1 and 2 by the committee would not have byes). To me, saying that simply because a decent NW team or blah Pitt team took advantage of being in a weak division and then caught lightning in a bottle for one day, so they're more deserving over a team that was legit all year long but had one bad day or was the second-best team in a loaded division is flawed, but at least with an 8-team playoff with 5 champs and three wild cards, there'd be some leeway for those "legit except for one day" teams where the best of them would get in.

Laley23

GOAT

Fri, Nov 30, 2018 3:34 PM
posted by slingshot4ever

Sure they do. You play in everyone your division, so win it. Then win the title game. It’s the only absolute to make it work. Otherwise, whonis to say Wisconsin isn’t better than Georgia in a given year even if they have 2 more losses. I can argue the B1G is tougher. Just win the conference and get in. Everyone has that chance.

slingshot4ever

Fri, Nov 30, 2018 7:03 PM

Sorry, but I can't buy a format where there is the potential for Pitt, Utah, NW, and Texas (all with st least 3 losses) to make up half of the playoff field.  No thank you.

slingshot4ever

Fri, Nov 30, 2018 7:04 PM

Also, if all that matters are conference championships then you might as well cancel all non conference games and any thoughts at marquee nonconference matchups are gone.

SportsAndLady

Fri, Nov 30, 2018 7:36 PM
posted by slingshot4ever

Sorry, but I can't buy a format where there is the potential for Pitt, Utah, NW, and Texas (all with st least 3 losses) to make up half of the playoff field.  No thank you.

The odds of those 4 teams winning thier conf. championships this year is about .01%. Don't be an idiot.

slingshot4ever

Fri, Nov 30, 2018 8:57 PM

Ok....I can't buy a format where even a SINGLE 3 loss team could be in the playoff.  That is absurd.

Spock

Sat, Dec 1, 2018 7:45 AM
posted by slingshot4ever

Ok....I can't buy a format where even a SINGLE 3 loss team could be in the playoff.  That is absurd.

Simple, just put a cap on the amount of losses you can have unless you win a major conference with 3 losses.

8 teams-  you have to win the conference, at large bids cannot have 3 losses.  Pretty simple.  If you play a full schedule of DI schools and go undefeated you are automatically in.

queencitybuckeye

Sat, Dec 1, 2018 8:07 AM
posted by Spock

Simple, just put a cap on the amount of losses you can have unless you win a major conference with 3 losses.

8 teams-  you have to win the conference, at large bids cannot have 3 losses.  Pretty simple.  If you play a full schedule of DI schools and go undefeated you are automatically in.

IOW, schedule nothing out of conference but garbage.

superman

Sat, Dec 1, 2018 8:45 AM

Do away with the traditional conferences. 

Have 4 16 team super conferences.

Each conference has 2 divisions.

8 division winners in the tournament.  

At least 2 non-conference games have to be against teams in the other three conferences.  

If you play against an FCS school, you are not eligible for the tournament.  

slingshot4ever

Sat, Dec 1, 2018 1:09 PM

Texas has not allowed a TD yet....14-6....lets go horns!

BR1986FB

Sat, Dec 1, 2018 1:09 PM

Oklahoma not impressive, so far.

SportsAndLady

Sat, Dec 1, 2018 2:16 PM

Lot of PI’s so far. Some of them I’m just not seeing..

makes you wonder if the conference wants OU to win to get a team in the playoffs.