Covid-19 discussion, continued...

Spock

Mon, Mar 8, 2021 6:56 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

They are coming out with guidelines which are basically suggestions.  That's much different than enacting a law and dictating what you can or can't do.  

STFU......Have you seen what restrictions have been dictated over the past year?  Non of those businesses that were shut down were done so on suggestions.  The curfews and mandatory mask wearing and the fines for lack of enforcement.  All of this shit wasnt "suggested"

friendfromlowry

Mon, Mar 8, 2021 8:03 PM

Another day another dumbass Spock/Fletch moment. 

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Tue, Mar 9, 2021 7:43 AM
posted by Spock

STFU......Have you seen what restrictions have been dictated over the past year?  Non of those businesses that were shut down were done so on suggestions.  The curfews and mandatory mask wearing and the fines for lack of enforcement.  All of this shit wasnt "suggested"

CDC didn't shut anything down. That's your governor at work. 

ptown_trojans_1

Tue, Mar 9, 2021 8:16 AM
posted by Spock

Agreed.  I studied European history between the wars in college (was going to teach history at one point).  Best class I ever had.

As someone you actually got a degree in modern U.S. history, this is hilarious. 

ptown_trojans_1

Tue, Mar 9, 2021 8:20 AM

Governors shutdown using the CDC guidelines as guidance. 

Still, his larger point is dumb. 

Fred Garvin

Tue, Mar 9, 2021 10:47 AM
posted by Ironman92

To be nosey....how old are you?

I am 60. 

But my optimism was misplaced. By noon yesterday I was going downhill. Chills, body aches, then sweating, ugh. Started feeling a little better by 8pm when I went to bed. I feel fine today.

Spock

Tue, Mar 9, 2021 10:55 AM

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/09/politics/joe-biden-vaccine-cdc/index.html

You dont think that when the CDC dictates new protocol on what we are allowed to do isnt them shutting down the travel capabilities?

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Tue, Mar 9, 2021 11:53 AM
posted by Spock

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/09/politics/joe-biden-vaccine-cdc/index.html

You dont think that when the CDC dictates new protocol on what we are allowed to do isnt them shutting down the travel capabilities?

All I can do is go by what I observe. The CDC has not enacted any laws I know of. If some governor or county commissioner uses their guidance to make rules, well then I guess you can extrapolate from that that the CDC is running our lives. I don't see it that way. 

Heretic

Son of the Sun

Tue, Mar 9, 2021 1:07 PM

All I can do is go by what I observe. The CDC has not enacted any laws I know of. If some governor or county commissioner uses their guidance to make rules, well then I guess you can extrapolate from that that the CDC is running our lives. I don't see it that way. 

Yeah, simple logic dictates that if the CDC is a national thing and the 50 states of the nation did not have the exact same rules, procedures, etc., then they're only making suggestions and it's up to the individual state to determine how closely they're going to adhere to those suggestions.

Now, if you want to take things a step farther and say that governors, like most politicians, are spineless cretins who are so inept at providing leadership that their main go-to is to do whatever is suggested by others in power -- leading to a situation where some states based their decisions solely off what Trump was saying and others based them solely off what the CDC was saying, allowing the governors to play the "just followin' orders!" card in response to any criticism -- well, I'd say that is a more-than-valid point.

But that's more a "politicians suck" thing than a criticism of the CDC or any other organization. Fuck, if I had the ear of some prominent politician who was depending on my brain to do his or her thinking you can damn well believe I'd be seeing just how far I could take things, because what's the point of having that kind of power if you can't flaunt it!

Ironman92

Administrator

Tue, Mar 9, 2021 5:22 PM
posted by Fred Garvin

I am 60. 

But my optimism was misplaced. By noon yesterday I was going downhill. Chills, body aches, then sweating, ugh. Started feeling a little better by 8pm when I went to bed. I feel fine today.

Hopefully all continues well.

I asked because only those around here in nursing homes and super high risk were getting Pfizer....everyone else Moderna

Fred Garvin

Wed, Mar 10, 2021 8:16 AM
posted by Ironman92

Hopefully all continues well.

I asked because only those around here in nursing homes and super high risk were getting Pfizer....everyone else Moderna

I got a call from my pharmacy on 4:30 Sunday, asking if I could be there by 5 (apparently they had extra doses??). I said yes, then asked which one they had out of curiosity. They had both Pfizer and Moderna, so I had the choice. It surprised me as well.

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Wed, Mar 10, 2021 8:53 AM
posted by Fred Garvin

I got a call from my pharmacy on 4:30 Sunday, asking if I could be there by 5 (apparently they had extra doses??). I said yes, then asked which one they had out of curiosity. They had both Pfizer and Moderna, so I had the choice. It surprised me as well.

Which did you select and why?

Fred Garvin

Wed, Mar 10, 2021 9:27 AM

Which did you select and why?

I chose Pfizer. Based on the family members and friends who have had the shots, (granted, it is a small sample size) fewer people were getting sick on Pfizer. 

In the end, I guess it did not matter. I had about 12 hours of feeling bad the next day.

Ironman92

Administrator

Wed, Mar 10, 2021 9:44 AM
posted by Fred Garvin

I chose Pfizer. Based on the family members and friends who have had the shots, (granted, it is a small sample size) fewer people were getting sick on Pfizer. 

In the end, I guess it did not matter. I had about 12 hours of feeling bad the next day.

Several people I know have been very sick for 12-18 hours after the 2nd Moderna. Haven’t heard anything like that with Pfizer.

People that had the virus and got the Moderna shot have been hit extra hard it seems.

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Wed, Mar 10, 2021 10:18 AM

Maryland to lift all restrictions on Friday.

ptown_trojans_1

Wed, Mar 10, 2021 10:40 AM
posted by justincredible

Not all. Masks are still required. But, restaurants and bars can open at full capacity for seated areas only. Religious places can be full as well. Indoor concert venues and theaters are 50%. 

The big caveat is the individual counties can still offer restrictions, meaning the most populous counties like Montgomery, Prince George's and Baltimore will still likely have restrictions. 

But, Hogan's announcement and rational make sense. Also, the former head of the CDC, Robert Redfield, is advising the state.  

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Wed, Mar 10, 2021 11:09 AM
posted by Fred Garvin

So you're through it, it sounds like.  I was just curious about which you picked because I hear things about both, but like you my sample size is tiny and comprised of people I know.  I usually only give credence to those who've had their vaccines as opposed to the "well my friend's dad got his and...".  I've talked to people that had everything from feeling kind of sick the next day to feeling virtually nothing.  

Anyway, thanks for your story.

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Wed, Mar 10, 2021 11:14 AM
posted by justincredible

People are going to give Texas credit for opening the floodgates, but the credit should go to Florida.

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Wed, Mar 10, 2021 12:03 PM

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Wed, Mar 10, 2021 12:26 PM
posted by justincredible

I still remember some of us saying "watch, they will drag this out until there is a vaccine," and dumbasses like SnL were like "LOL guISe iT'S ReALLy NoT DaT HaRD 2 StAY HoME."

Verbal Kint

Wed, Mar 10, 2021 12:46 PM
posted by like_that

I still remember some of us saying "watch, they will drag this out until there is a vaccine," and dumbasses like SnL were like "LOL guISe iT'S ReALLy NoT DaT HaRD 2 StAY HoME."

Was he banned or is he out trying to pay someone not to tow his vehicle?

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Wed, Mar 10, 2021 12:58 PM
posted by Verbal Kint

Was he banned or is he out trying to pay someone not to tow his vehicle?

Yes

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Wed, Mar 10, 2021 1:36 PM
posted by justincredible

Yes

I thought he was back under a different name.

jmog

Wed, Mar 10, 2021 2:12 PM

I thought he was back under a different name.

If he is, then he hasn't quite disclosed himself yet as no new names have gone full douchebag quite yet.

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Wed, Mar 10, 2021 2:18 PM

He came back for like a day under a new name because I made it essentially impossible for him to post under his old name. Please, let's not summon another return by mentioning him.