Impressed by the Trump administration part II

Home Forums Politics

Heretic

Son of the Sun

Thu, May 14, 2020 12:01 PM
posted by QuakerOats

You’re right; there are no communist Chinese apologists and propagandists in any media outlets.

You really need to cut your losses and just admit you were wrong instead of trying to move the goalposts because you are looking like a total idiot right now.

posted by Spock

The fake news part of it is that CBS likely made sure they sent an asian looking reporter in there on purposely and ask a loaded question to get him triggered.   

Like this guy is. Once again. Every damn day. Because that's all he is capable of doing.

QuakerOats

Thu, May 14, 2020 1:01 PM
posted by Spock

The fake news part of it is that CBS likely made sure they sent an asian looking reporter in there on purposely and ask a loaded question to get him triggered.   

It wasn’t her first pony ride there …but who cares about context.

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Thu, May 14, 2020 1:14 PM
posted by QuakerOats

It wasn’t her first pony ride there …but who cares about context.

Her original question was not that big of a deal.  It was VERY typical of the kinds of questions any president would receive.  Rather than constantly playing to the hardcores in his base, be a man and answer a fairly easy question.  

According to the hard core right wing, every question a teacher ever asked me was a "gottcha".  Maybe I should have stormed out of all those classrooms rather than taken a chance in answering.

TEACHER: What is the atomic number of iron?
ME: That's a very vicious question.  You should be ashamed of yourself.  

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Mon, May 18, 2020 12:50 PM

Looks like the Swampy entitlement of Mike Pompeo and his wife are not going to get "drained".  The boss conducted a quiet firing of his inspector general at Pomp's request.  Yep, draining the swamp alright.

QuakerOats

Tue, May 19, 2020 3:12 PM

Survey: 64% of Manufacturers Say Reshoring is Likely

According to a new survey by Thomas, 64% of companies across the manufacturing and industrial sectors "are likely to bring manufacturing production and sourcing back to North America," to avoid similar difficulties in the future. Supply Chain Dive reports that the survey was conducted in April and included responses from 878 North American manufacturing and industrial sector professionals. 5/14/2020

O-Trap

Chief Shenanigans Officer

Tue, May 19, 2020 4:08 PM
posted by QuakerOats

Survey: 64% of Manufacturers Say Reshoring is Likely

According to a new survey by Thomas, 64% of companies across the manufacturing and industrial sectors "are likely to bring manufacturing production and sourcing back to North America," to avoid similar difficulties in the future. Supply Chain Dive reports that the survey was conducted in April and included responses from 878 North American manufacturing and industrial sector professionals. 5/14/2020

Huh.  Well what do you know?  A big government manipulation of free markets like hiked tariffs didn't do the job, but this did.

gut

Tue, May 19, 2020 4:17 PM
posted by O-Trap

Huh.  Well what do you know?  A big government manipulation of free markets like hiked tariffs didn't do the job, but this did.

I'll believe it when I see it.  There will certainly be SOME re-shoring to avoid supply chain disruptions, and many reason to divest from China.  But without some form of protectionism, these products aren't going to be price competitive.

And by "re-shoring", I think we should take that to mean North America.  Won't surprise me if companies don't also look more to Central and South America as an alternative to Asia.

O-Trap

Tue, May 19, 2020 4:21 PM
posted by gut

I'll believe it when I see it.  There will certainly be SOME re-shoring to avoid supply chain disruptions, and many reason to divest from China.  But without some form of protectionism, these products aren't going to be price competitive.

And by "re-shoring", I think we should take that to mean North America.  Won't surprise me if companies don't also look more to Central and South America as an alternative to Asia.

I was mostly just jabbing at the tariffs, but I actually agree with you here.  Labor alone is crazy cheap in Mexico.  I'd imagine sourcing plenty of mats is as well.

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Wed, May 20, 2020 4:26 AM
posted by gut

Like you said, I think it's more likely they just find other cheap countries to do their business.  Central American would be win-win for everyone.  It would help with immigration. 

QuakerOats

Wed, May 20, 2020 1:36 PM

$1.3 billion awarded for another 42 miles of border wall in AZ.  Looks like 400 miles to be completed this year.

O-Trap

Wed, May 20, 2020 2:21 PM
posted by QuakerOats

$1.3 billion awarded for another 42 miles of border wall in AZ.  Looks like 400 miles to be completed this year.

Hooray for big government spending!

Spock

Wed, May 20, 2020 2:50 PM
posted by O-Trap

money well spent....or at least money spent to prevent more spending later

QuakerOats

Wed, May 20, 2020 3:17 PM
posted by O-Trap

National defense; the nation’s one and only true priority.

Best.

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Wed, May 20, 2020 4:19 PM
posted by QuakerOats

Best.

Who does Mexico make the check out to?

QuakerOats

Thu, May 21, 2020 9:35 AM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

Who does Mexico make the check out to?

Well, since they will have to handle the welfare of several million people instead of us, you can do the math as to who is paying for the wall. 

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Thu, May 21, 2020 10:52 AM
posted by QuakerOats

Well, since they will have to handle the welfare of several million people instead of us, you can do the math as to who is paying for the wall. 

That's BS politi-speak. It's not what he talked of in his position papers either. 

Most illegal immigrants are not allowed to access government benefits. Also, we receive billions in taxes from the majority who come here and work.  We're paying billions from the US Treasury for a wall that may not have it's promised affect. The US taxpayer will never be reimbursed directly or indirectly for that cost.  

BIG government spending at its finest. 

Spock

Thu, May 21, 2020 11:14 AM

That's BS politi-speak. It's not what he talked of in his position papers either. 

Most illegal immigrants are not allowed to access government benefits. Also, we receive billions in taxes from the majority who come here and work.  We're paying billions from the US Treasury for a wall that may not have it's promised affect. The US taxpayer will never be reimbursed directly or indirectly for that cost.  

BIG government spending at its finest. 

THat is BS also, we pay in many ways.....they work for cash and send the money back to Mexico (not paying taxes), they take school funding, they use our medical system, welfare......

Billions, if not hundreds of Billions

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Thu, May 21, 2020 12:07 PM
posted by Spock

THat is BS also, we pay in many ways.....they work for cash and send the money back to Mexico (not paying taxes), they take school funding, they use our medical system, welfare......

Billions, if not hundreds of Billions

Just saying "hundreds of billions" doesn't make is so.  The majority of these people are not eligible or able to access any government benefits.  Most of them work and of those, most have payroll taxes deducted.  Under the table work not the majority of their jobs.  Plus they spend money here for themselves and their families before sending back whatever they send back.  If this sounds familiar, its because it is how almost all European immigrants behaved when they came to to the country.  Of course they came here "legally" when the requirement for legal entry was showing up on the dock. 

But the point is we're now footing the bill for a wall that may not even d what it's intended to do.  The US taxpayer won't be made whole on that unless you argue that they benefit "indirectly".  But you can make that argument about practically everything.  The fact is, Trump made a huge deal about Mexico paying for the wall.  In fact he even suggested that we'd leverage them to make them pay a lump sum up front.  The implication is that the US taxpayer would not pay.  That's what got the crowd's cheering.  Now here we are less than a term later paying for it entirely out of the US treasury.  

O-Trap

Thu, May 21, 2020 12:15 PM
posted by Spock

money well spent....or at least money spent to prevent more spending later

Spoken like a Democrat.  They say the same thing with regard to UBI and single-payer system healthcare.

posted by QuakerOats

Best.

There's no significant threat to national security.  Good luck fitting that square peg in the round hole you're trying.

gut

Thu, May 21, 2020 12:22 PM

Am I the only one who feels like this "battle" to re-open the country is kind of imaginary?  I believe every state has loosened restrictions, some are being excessively cautious perhaps but does 2 more weeks really matter?

It's not confined to the US, either.  Globally people are basically telling BIG GUBMT they're done with the lockdown.  The data is coming in, and if you're not in a nursing home you're risk is not that different from the flu (which also kills mostly the elderly).

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Thu, May 21, 2020 12:39 PM
posted by gut

Am I the only one who feels like this "battle" to re-open the country is kind of imaginary?  I believe every state has loosened restrictions, some are being excessively cautious perhaps but does 2 more weeks really matter?

It's not confined to the US, either.  Globally people are basically telling BIG GUBMT they're done with the lockdown.  The data is coming in, and if you're not in a nursing home you're risk is not that different from the flu (which also kills mostly the elderly).

I think you're right.  The only thing I hear about in Alabama is "why did that go on as long as it did?" and "why the hell did school get cancelled like that?"  Both relevant questions.  This state didn't have the militancy Ohio did and our numbers are no worse.  That tells me the lockdown, while an understandable initial reaction to a huge unknown, was way overused and has had no beneficial effects.  

O-Trap

Thu, May 21, 2020 12:56 PM
posted by gut

Eh, even if we restrict it to the US, where the numbers are better than the global average (about double), you're still looking at 301K confirmed recoveries and about 94K confirmed deaths.  You can complain about the numbers (ex. "Well, they were overweight/diabetic/old/etc."), but most of the cases weren't considered terminal for any of the accompanying conditions they had prior to contracting it.

And even if you could explain away a decent percentage of the deaths as improperly labeled, I doubt it would be to the degree that it would be rendered as inconsequential as the flu, which is even less serious if you use the same litmus test (other health factors).

Obviously, the numbers aren't actually 94/301 in terms of mortality rate.  There are untold numbers of those who haven't been recorded and have recovered.  Of course, there are almost certainly some who have died from it without it being tracked as well, but probably not at the same rate.  Still, I doubt it's going to turn out to be as trivial as the flu.  Though they're in the minority, it has indeed killed perfectly healthy people with no other life-threatening conditions.

As for the lockdown, it was an unwarranted use of force, and some of it was absolutely overkill, or at the very least, counterproductive overall.

gut

Thu, May 21, 2020 1:01 PM
posted by O-Trap

And even if you could explain away a decent percentage of the deaths as improperly labeled, I doubt it would be to the degree that it would be rendered as inconsequential as the flu, which is even less serious if you use the same litmus test (other health factors).

In some states half the deaths are nursing homes.  Most of the rest of the deaths the average age is around 80 with multiple comorbities.  For the rest of the population, the risk is indeed on par with the flu.

I think the worst you could say is this is like the flu with no vaccine (which often is only about 50% effective, but still helps if you get infected).

Spock

Thu, May 21, 2020 1:03 PM

Just saying "hundreds of billions" doesn't make is so.  The majority of these people are not eligible or able to access any government benefits.  Most of them work and of those, most have payroll taxes deducted.  Under the table work not the majority of their jobs.  Plus they spend money here for themselves and their families before sending back whatever they send back.  If this sounds familiar, its because it is how almost all European immigrants behaved when they came to to the country.  Of course they came here "legally" when the requirement for legal entry was showing up on the dock. 

But the point is we're now footing the bill for a wall that may not even d what it's intended to do.  The US taxpayer won't be made whole on that unless you argue that they benefit "indirectly".  But you can make that argument about practically everything.  The fact is, Trump made a huge deal about Mexico paying for the wall.  In fact he even suggested that we'd leverage them to make them pay a lump sum up front.  The implication is that the US taxpayer would not pay.  That's what got the crowd's cheering.  Now here we are less than a term later paying for it entirely out of the US treasury.  

You keep using the word majority.....what does that mean?  Where is your statistic?  is it 51-49?  I dont care if its 90-10, that still means millions of them are gaming our system. 

As for access of benefits......you ever been to California?  Chicago?  Charlotte?  They get instant access to healthcare, free education, WIC etc...... not to mention the amount of $ we spend on law enforcement and incarcerations.

gut

Thu, May 21, 2020 1:03 PM

That tells me the lockdown, while an understandable initial reaction to a huge unknown, was way overused and has had no beneficial effects.  

The biggest argument against the lockdown is we couldn't even protect our nursing homes.