2020 Presidential Election thread

Home Forums Politics

gut

Tue, Sep 29, 2020 3:52 PM
posted by iclfan2

I don’t know what is entirely true either. The same article says he paid $1m in 2016 and $4.2m in 2017, but after he filed his liability was only $750. I’m a CPA, and skeptical a reporter can understand all that is going on based solely on tax returns.

Yeah, I wasn't surprised a real estate mogul doesn't pay taxes most years.  That business is usually characterized by income accruing to trapped/illiquid building equity.  And then when you sell the asset after 20-30 years, you have a massive capital gain plus a recapture of the depreciation you took that deferred all that taxable income.

And then Trump has been collecting golf courses for the huge NOL's, which is something else he is able to use to offset income.

geeblock

Tue, Sep 29, 2020 4:40 PM

I certainly would itemize if 70k for haircuts is legit. I don’t think everyone does it makes that ok. That’s basically stealing. I think any candidate from any party should have to disclose their taxes 

gut

Tue, Sep 29, 2020 4:54 PM
posted by geeblock

I certainly would itemize if 70k for haircuts is legit. I don’t think everyone does it makes that ok. That’s basically stealing. I think any candidate from any party should have to disclose their taxes 

I thought that was from The Apprentice.  He was in 186 episodes over 12 years.  Factoring in there might be multiple shoots, probably somewhere around $200 for a hairstylist for each shoot.  Guessing that's not out of the ordinary for stars of a show.

Yeah, if it's for hair/make-up for the Apprentice then the expense is completely legit.  Or it might be for the hundreds of interviews/cable news programs he's done over the years.  Again, probably a legit expense.  Public figures get to deduct clothing and all kinds of other personal care stuff because unlike you or me, their income & employment is directly related to their appearance.

geeblock

Tue, Sep 29, 2020 4:57 PM
posted by gut

I thought that was from The Apprentice.  He was in 186 episodes over 12 years.  Factoring in there might be multiple shoots, probably somewhere around $200 for a hairstylist for each shoot.  Guessing that's not out of the ordinary for stars of a show.

Yeah, if it's for hair/make-up for the Apprentice then the expense is completely legit.  Or it might be for the hundreds of interviews/cable news programs he's done over the years.  Again, probably a legit expense.  Public figures get to deduct clothing and all kinds of other personal care stuff because unlike you or me, their income & employment is directly related to their appearance.

If that is over 12 years then sure. I’m sure the show pays for that tho 

gut

Tue, Sep 29, 2020 5:06 PM

posted by geeblock

If that is over 12 years then sure. I’m sure the show pays for that tho

Depends.  They might not pay for his personal stylist, or you don't know what the contract calls for as he had a share in the profits and was also producer.  It might also be the hundred of interviews he's done over the years.

I'd be absolutely shocked if $70k was for one year.  $1400 per week is $200 per day.  Doesn't seem likely.  But I suppose I could see him having his hair done each morning while he watches Fox & Friends.

geeblock

Tue, Sep 29, 2020 5:32 PM
posted by gut

Depends.  They might not pay for his personal stylist, or you don't know what the contract calls for as he had a share in the profits and was also producer.  It might also be the hundred of interviews he's done over the years.

I'd be absolutely shocked if $70k was for one year.  $1400 per week is $200 per day.  Doesn't seem likely.  But I suppose I could see him having his hair done each morning while he watches Fox & Friends.

Have you seen his hair?

geeblock

Tue, Sep 29, 2020 5:37 PM

He may have done nothing wrong and maybe all rich people do the same thing but it’s ironic that he runs a campaign based on fear and scaring people that immigrants don’t pay tax, and poor people don’t pay tax and joe Biden is going to raise your tax.. but he likely hasn’t paid taxes in years. But convinces poor people that it’s other poor people keeping them poor 

iclfan2

Reppin' the 330/216/843

Tue, Sep 29, 2020 6:01 PM
posted by geeblock

He may have done nothing wrong and maybe all rich people do the same thing but it’s ironic that he runs a campaign based on fear and scaring people that immigrants don’t pay tax, and poor people don’t pay tax and joe Biden is going to raise your tax.. but he likely hasn’t paid taxes in years. But convinces poor people that it’s other poor people keeping them poor 

I mean he pays a shit ton in other taxes for his businesses.  And Biden literally said he would raise taxes, no thanks, I’m only concerned about my own money (even if the raise in taxes is taking away the tax cuts). 

It’s funny you say there is a tweet for everything, one of the people I follow posts every contradiction and there literally is one for almost everything.

jmog

Tue, Sep 29, 2020 6:01 PM
posted by geeblock

Before I read any of the articles, did Trump pay 750$ in taxes or no ? I’ve seen 500 memes but haven’t had time to look it up 

No, NYT lied. He paid $5.2 million those two years and the “$750” was what he had to pay on top of what he had already paid.

Like after doing your taxes if your final line said you still owed $750, you didn’t only pay $750 in taxes, you paid the total out of your pay check for the year PLUS $750  

iclfan2

Reppin' the 330/216/843

Tue, Sep 29, 2020 9:11 PM

Biden’s first answer made no sense.

gut

Tue, Sep 29, 2020 9:13 PM

Took Trump less than 5 minutes to start interrupting and going on the attack.

Biden just laughing at him is pretty effective so far.

CenterBHSFan

333 - I'm only half evil

Tue, Sep 29, 2020 9:15 PM

I just turned that channel on and it's a hot mess lol

gut

Tue, Sep 29, 2020 9:17 PM

Trump getting really annoyed Biden won't take the bait.

gut

Tue, Sep 29, 2020 9:19 PM

Chris Wallace wondering why in hell he agreed to moderate this.

gut

Tue, Sep 29, 2020 11:00 PM

Chris Wallace going to go hook himself into an IV alcohol drip

kizer permanente

Tue, Sep 29, 2020 11:16 PM

They need to just cancel the other 2. That was a waste of everyone’s time. 

Devils Advocate

Brudda o da bomber

Tue, Sep 29, 2020 11:32 PM

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Wed, Sep 30, 2020 6:21 AM

Did anyone expect last night to be anything but a shit show?

CenterBHSFan

333 - I'm only half evil

Wed, Sep 30, 2020 6:46 AM
posted by like_that

I kinda hoped it would have been better. My own fault, I guess.

geeblock

Wed, Sep 30, 2020 7:36 AM

The whole world has to be laughing at us 

gut

Wed, Sep 30, 2020 7:54 AM
posted by geeblock

The whole world has to be laughing at us 

I mean, Biden was the only person Dems thought could beat Trump?!?  I thought Biden was fine, when he was actually able to speak.

On a related note, though Biden was not nearly as aggressive about it, what Trump did was basically an identical approach to how Biden bullied Paul Ryan in the 2012 VP debate.  And CNN gushed about how strong and commanding he was!

The clown act aside, IMO Trump debated himself to a draw.  You can't just bait, you gotta set the hook!

gut

Wed, Sep 30, 2020 8:03 AM

Drudge nails it: "Strategy to tweet out loud for 90 minutes"  LOL

iclfan2

Reppin' the 330/216/843

Wed, Sep 30, 2020 8:08 AM
posted by like_that

It somehow seemed worse. All 3 of them were idiots. 

jmog

Wed, Sep 30, 2020 8:34 AM

Who won the debate tonight?

Those that didn’t watch it. 

Who lost the debate tonight?

America, good Lord is this really our two “best” options?