2020 Presidential Election thread

Home Forums Politics

kizer permanente

Thu, Sep 24, 2020 7:18 PM
posted by jmog

I don't see any of the reds that fall to Biden but Michigan and Arizona are blues that can go to Trump.

Arizona can and probably will go red  but PA and FL both can and PA probably will go blue  

iclfan2

Reppin' the 330/216/843

Sat, Sep 26, 2020 9:48 AM

Has there ever been an election where someone campaigned less than Biden? I’m not even saying it’s a bad thing, probably a good strategy, but still seems strange compared to what we’ve seen in the recent past. 

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Sat, Sep 26, 2020 10:06 AM
posted by iclfan2

Has there ever been an election where someone campaigned less than Biden? I’m not even saying it’s a bad thing, probably a good strategy, but still seems strange compared to what we’ve seen in the recent past. 

If you were his advisor, would you trot him out into open-ended commentary and discussion?  He's not up to that is nd of thing at all. This was the year to have someone like that too. 

gut

Sat, Sep 26, 2020 1:02 PM
posted by iclfan2

Kamala isn't out there, either (probably also a good thing).

I don't think it's a good strategy simply to bank on people voting for "not Trump".  Didn't work for Hillary, and I'm not sure it's enough to drive the turnout you need.

Presidential elections are so tightly contested that if even 2% of your base stays home, you lose.  And generally to get that 2% to turnout, you need to give them a better reason than just "not Trump".

gut

Sat, Sep 26, 2020 1:03 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

If you were his advisor, would you trot him out into open-ended commentary and discussion?  He's not up to that is nd of thing at all. This was the year to have someone like that too. 

We'll see.  One good debate performance will end all that talk.  And that may be all he needs.  But the polls are tightening every day, while Trump's approval/popularity continues to creep up [no pun intended] every day.  40 days out and things don't appear to be trending in a positive direction for Biden, at all.

superman

Sat, Sep 26, 2020 1:09 PM
posted by gut

We'll see.  One good debate performance will end all that talk.  And that may be all he needs.  But the polls are tightening every day, while Trump's approval/popularity continues to creep up [no pun intended] every day.  40 days out and things don't appear to be trending in a positive direction for Biden, at all.

I think the big mistake that the Republicans are making right now is painting Biden as a dementia riddled doddering old man.  They are setting the bar so low for him that if he doesn't just sit and drool during the debate, the media will paint it as a win.  

gut

Sat, Sep 26, 2020 1:23 PM
posted by superman

I think the big mistake that the Republicans are making right now is painting Biden as a dementia riddled doddering old man.  They are setting the bar so low for him that if he doesn't just sit and drool during the debate, the media will paint it as a win.  

He doesn't need to convince the media and never has - they have been in the tank for him and covering for him since he emerged as the nominee.

What he needs is to convince people on the fence because they question his mental fitness.  I think those people have their own "bar" for him.

Regardless of how he does, I'm sure the Trump campaign will release ads attacking his mental fitness.  Sort of a greatest hits of Biden brain farts.  Might save those until the last minute so the Biden campaign can't respond with their video highlighting Trump's intellectual prowess.

Spock

Sun, Sep 27, 2020 9:17 AM

The lack of election year activity by Biden is unreal.  The debate will surely end up hurting him because he will have at least 1 moment where he loses it, says something stupid or misspeaks really bad.  Trump wont do that.

Heretic

Son of the Sun

Sun, Sep 27, 2020 9:50 AM
posted by Spock

The lack of election year activity by Biden is unreal.  The debate will surely end up hurting him because he will have at least 1 moment where he loses it, says something stupid or misspeaks really bad.  Trump wont do that.

He does that nearly every time he tries to communicate.

fish82

Mon, Sep 28, 2020 10:21 AM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

Yeah, I agree the statement did not matter, but to dismiss it as fake is just so fucking cynical. 

It would be a better look for her if it was fake, TBH. Assuming she actually said it, it's a pretty dumb take for someone with such a keen and admired legal mind. 

Spock

Tue, Sep 29, 2020 10:52 AM

the only reason why Biden is debating tonight is because there is no crowd.  His handlers wouldnt let him if there were 1,000 people there

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Tue, Sep 29, 2020 10:59 AM

posted by Spock

the only reason why Biden is debating tonight is because there is no crowd.  His handlers wouldnt let him if there were 1,000 people there

gut

Tue, Sep 29, 2020 11:39 AM
posted by Spock

You gotta make more of an effort.  Say something like "if there was a crowd, he wouldn't be able to hear the answers fed thru his ear piece".

geeblock

Tue, Sep 29, 2020 1:11 PM

Before I read any of the articles, did Trump pay 750$ in taxes or no ? I’ve seen 500 memes but haven’t had time to look it up 

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Tue, Sep 29, 2020 2:46 PM
posted by geeblock

Before I read any of the articles, did Trump pay 750$ in taxes or no ? I’ve seen 500 memes but haven’t had time to look it up 

Why don't you just read the actual article? 

geeblock

Tue, Sep 29, 2020 2:48 PM
posted by like_that

Why don't you just read the actual article? 

Isn’t someone going to just say it’s fake. Usually takes more than one article and source which I will eventually. Just looking for the cliff notes if someone had looked into it. No biggie 

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Tue, Sep 29, 2020 2:57 PM

I'm not sure if it's true or not. But if it is, it doesn't make me like him less.

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Tue, Sep 29, 2020 3:05 PM
posted by geeblock

I have no idea if it's true.  I'm suspicious of anything like this that comes out during the election season.  But even if it is true, so what.  As long as he's done nothing illegal, who cares.  You don't get into these high income brackets without someone counseling you on how to avoid taxes as much as possible.  Just ask Warren Buffet or Bezos.  People already have their minds made up about him.  If they have, or will be voting for him, they're doing it knowing full well that he's a performer first and foremost.  I can't imagine anyone reading this and thinking, "Oh well, that does it.  I'm not voting for him any longer."  I think the NYT is simply pandering to its audience like Fox News does.  

Al Bundy

Tue, Sep 29, 2020 3:06 PM
posted by geeblock

NYT is saying that he paid $750 in income tax in 2016 and no income tax for 10-15 years before that. As far as I know, no other source has backed this up.

Trump claims that it is "fake news" but refuses to release his taxes.

I don't know if it is true or not, but there is definitely something on his tax returns that Trump doesn't want the public to see.

geeblock

Tue, Sep 29, 2020 3:06 PM

I didn’t figure on an objective board  like This it would be a big deal but I’d rather ask than feel the wrath of jmog

iclfan2

Reppin' the 330/216/843

Tue, Sep 29, 2020 3:16 PM

I don’t know what is entirely true either. The same article says he paid $1m in 2016 and $4.2m in 2017, but after he filed his liability was only $750. I’m a CPA, and skeptical a reporter can understand all that is going on based solely on tax returns. I also don’t care how much he pays in personal income taxes. If you aren’t trying to minimize your tax liability you’d be a dummy. 

Al Bundy

Tue, Sep 29, 2020 3:22 PM

Whoever charged him $70,000 for doing his hair should be arrested for robbery.

CenterBHSFan

333 - I'm only half evil

Tue, Sep 29, 2020 3:37 PM
posted by iclfan2

I don’t know what is entirely true either. The same article says he paid $1m in 2016 and $4.2m in 2017, but after he filed his liability was only $750. I’m a CPA, and skeptical a reporter can understand all that is going on based solely on tax returns. I also don’t care how much he pays in personal income taxes. If you aren’t trying to minimize your tax liability you’d be a dummy. 

It's why I have somebody else do my taxes, so that I pay as little as possible.

I sometimes long for the days when I was a teenager, filling out the old 1040EZ