2020 Presidential Election thread

Home Forums Politics

Heretic

Son of the Sun

Fri, Oct 9, 2020 5:41 PM
posted by QuakerOats

Complete lack of manners, sportsmanship, and respect.  Among the worst we have to offer.

Lol, definitely sounding like a mindless bot when, as an R, you can actually say this with President Twitter's regular rampages showing that "complete lack of manners, sportsmanship and respect" is a fundamental cornerstone of his day-to-day routine.

friendfromlowry

Fri, Oct 9, 2020 5:58 PM

Holy fuck just agree on a stimulus package already 

sportchampps

Fri, Oct 9, 2020 6:02 PM
posted by friendfromlowry

Not until after the elect

kizer permanente

Fri, Oct 9, 2020 8:32 PM

Why are we scared democrats will pack the court and couldn’t give a fuck less about Republicans blocking the court until it’s their turn and walking back on their reasoning to do so? 

jmog

Fri, Oct 9, 2020 9:21 PM
posted by kizer permanente

Why are we scared democrats will pack the court and couldn’t give a fuck less about Republicans blocking the court until it’s their turn and walking back on their reasoning to do so? 

1. Not voting on a nomination to SCOTUS is perfectly legal. We may not like it but it’s legal.

2. It is the law of the land that there are 9 SCOTUS justices. So by definition “packing the court” is against the law. Of course they just have to make a “new” law and hope it passes constitutionality checks in the courts.

So one is legal the other is not. Hope this  helps.

kizer permanente

Fri, Oct 9, 2020 9:38 PM
posted by jmog

1. Not voting on a nomination to SCOTUS is perfectly legal. We may not like it but it’s legal.

2. It is the law of the land that there are 9 SCOTUS justices. So by definition “packing the court” is against the law. Of course they just have to make a “new” law and hope it passes constitutionality checks in the courts.

Lol it was rhetorical bud  obviously this site leans righter than the rain. It’s not a mystery why democrats are bad and Republicans are good here.

CenterBHSFan

333 - I'm only half evil

Sat, Oct 10, 2020 5:32 AM

Lol it was rhetorical bud  obviously this site leans righter than the rain. It’s not a mystery why democrats are bad and Republicans are good here.

"What's worse, they are setting precedent to have the republicans follow suit. Bloody hell."

You just wanted to snark. It's ok, we all do it.

CenterBHSFan

333 - I'm only half evil

Sat, Oct 10, 2020 5:43 AM

As far as supreme court justices go, the dems were salty over Garland and paid it back in spades to Kavannaugh. Loosely speaking, that made things even. But that wasn't good enough by a long shot, was it?

You don't have to be right wing to be able to acknowledge what they have done since. Not any of it is good. 

Further, I just saw Tulsi Gabbard, yesterday, saying that out of the democrat majority House, only 4 people have signed the bipartisan bill that addresses ballot harvesting. 

The dems are a bigger problem right now than the republicans. But go off.

CenterBHSFan

333 - I'm only half evil

Sat, Oct 10, 2020 6:23 AM

So I just saw an article about a big Trump sign next to a highway in California. There were complaints about it being a possible fire hazard and the highway state patrol deemed it a traffic hazard because people were slowing down to take pictures and so the state went onto the property and took it down.

I actually think that the traffic hazard reason has more validity to it. I guess I see the situations as having to prioritize what is the most immediate danger, and that makes me lean towards somebody causing a wreck because they wanted a good photo.
On the other hand, I can also see some dipshit burning it (or trying to) and sparking off a brush fire. 

ptown_trojans_1

Sat, Oct 10, 2020 4:17 PM
posted by jmog

Cite me the passage in the Constitution where it sets the number of justices? It is simply set by Congress. Congress can thus pass a new law and expand it if they want and the courts would have zero reason to strike it down. 

Congress could also get creative and start to reform or set new standards on how justices are appointed and confirmed if they wanted to. Mayor Pete had a few interesting ideas, but I've also seen where they can say each President can nominate 1 or 2 every four years.

I think all options are on the table and we could use this time to actually reform our broken nominating process. 

ptown_trojans_1

Sat, Oct 10, 2020 4:27 PM
posted by friendfromlowry

The Senate does not want to budge nor do they think they can get it in before the election. 

I find that hilarious because now they really care about price tag and budget deficit when for four years only Rand Paul has cared. 

I am going to equally find it hilarious when in 2021 Republicans will find their fiscal spines against any D agenda. 

I mean it kind of does look like they care more about the Supreme Court seat than the relief efforts. You wonder why the Rs are probably going to lose the Senate....

jmog

Sat, Oct 10, 2020 5:10 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

Cite me the passage in the Constitution where it sets the number of justices? It is simply set by Congress. Congress can thus pass a new law and expand it if they want and the courts would have zero reason to strike it down. 

Congress could also get creative and start to reform or set new standards on how justices are appointed and confirmed if they wanted to. Mayor Pete had a few interesting ideas, but I've also seen where they can say each President can nominate 1 or 2 every four years.

I think all options are on the table and we could use this time to actually reform our broken nominating process. 

Quote the part of my post that said the number was in the Constitution? I said it was the law of the land and hasn’t been altered in 150 years.

So, once again you messed up, I didn’t say it was in the constitution.

They also can’t change how the nomination is done or alter the number a President can nominate without a Constitutional Amendment (good luck getting that  passed by 38 states.

The fact that you are somewhat defending packing the court is rather telling on your supposed “middle of the road” political beliefs.

queencitybuckeye

Sat, Oct 10, 2020 8:36 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

What's broken about it other than your side losing?

kizer permanente

Sat, Oct 10, 2020 9:19 PM
posted by queencitybuckeye

What's broken about it other than your side losing?

I mean... I’m not really sure it’s “his side”. The US is not a conservative country. Why should they have conservative Judges? The only reason we have Republicans in office is gerrymandered districts and the electoral college. And poor states who vote against their self interest bc muh fetus.  

iclfan2

Reppin' the 330/216/843

Sat, Oct 10, 2020 9:30 PM

I mean... I’m not really sure it’s “his side”. The US is not a conservative country. Why should they have conservative Judges? The only reason we have Republicans in office is gerrymandered districts and the electoral college. And poor states who vote against their self interest bc muh fetus.  

kizer permanente

Sat, Oct 10, 2020 9:39 PM
posted by iclfan2

Yes?

It’s not. In almost any way. And it’s a shame we need the Supreme Court to defend normal people from religious ideologies tbh  

iclfan2

Reppin' the 330/216/843

Sat, Oct 10, 2020 9:58 PM

Yes?

It’s not. In almost any way. And it’s a shame we need the Supreme Court to defend normal people from religious ideologies tbh  

Gerrymandering does not effect the presidency or the Senate. Half your paragraph was wrong. Killing babies is such a small part of everything, it’s still crazy the left pushes it. Even if Barrett agrees against it, it just ends up with states right, which is what conservatives care about anyway. Also, you don’t have to be religious to not accept killing babies. (And I barely care about that subject)

kizer permanente

Sat, Oct 10, 2020 10:00 PM

On policy Americans poll left of center. They believe in social blankets. They believe gay people are in fact people. They believe women should have control of their body. There’s been 1 *conservative in the last 28 years to actually win popular vote vs 6 left of center candidates. Which would reflect why Americans poll left of center. To think a majority of Americans are conservative or right of center is intellectually dishonest. 

kizer permanente

Sat, Oct 10, 2020 10:03 PM
posted by iclfan2

Gerrymandering does not effect the presidency or the Senate. Half your paragraph was wrong. Killing babies is such a small part of everything, it’s still crazy the left pushes it. Even if Barrett agrees against it, it just ends up with states right, which is what conservatives care about anyway. Also, you don’t have to be religious to not accept killing babies. (And I barely care about that subject)

Nah it’s literally the south’s reason for voting conservative. You’re lying to yourself if it’s not a key component to why people vote how they do. 

kizer permanente

Sat, Oct 10, 2020 10:05 PM
posted by iclfan2

Nope... the electoral college effects the presidency and gerrymandering affects the House. 

jmog

Sat, Oct 10, 2020 10:07 PM

So much horseshit in one post. It’s amazing you could fit that much in such a short post, congratulations on that.

jmog

Sat, Oct 10, 2020 10:08 PM

Yes?

This post and the one above it kind of shows you failed your HS government/civics class.

jmog

Sat, Oct 10, 2020 10:10 PM

On policy Americans poll left of center. They believe in social blankets. They believe gay people are in fact people. They believe women should have control of their body. There’s been 1 *conservative in the last 28 years to actually win popular vote vs 6 left of center candidates. Which would reflect why Americans poll left of center. To think a majority of Americans are conservative or right of center is intellectually dishonest. 

Congratulations on becoming the antithesis of QO on this board, someone who spews non-sense, just in your case from the left.

kizer permanente

Sat, Oct 10, 2020 10:12 PM
posted by jmog

This post and the one above it kind of shows you failed your HS government/civics class.

Lol ok. See this is you.. I don’t agree with you so you’re dumb. I have no reason to show I’m  right. Just you’re dumb. Why are you so dumb.

You’re like a 7 year old. 

kizer permanente

Sat, Oct 10, 2020 10:13 PM
posted by jmog

Congratulations on becoming the antithesis of QO on this board, someone who spews non-sense, just in your case from the left.

So refute me.  Oh that’s right. All you do is say everyone is dumb and you’re right.