Browns Preseason 2019

Home Forums Sports

kizer permanente

Tue, Mar 5, 2019 6:22 PM
posted by like_that

I wouldn't take it that far.  There are PLENTY of players that Browns fans have completely overvalued.  I am not saying Duke is that guy, but I have seen "player x is so talented" for so many players for the Browns, who ended up not doing shit regardless of coaching.

Agreed, but Duke is extremely efficient even with his limited touches. It just doesn’t make sense to me. He consistently rates top 10 in his position and he gets next to nothing for touches. 

SportsAndLady

Tue, Mar 5, 2019 6:51 PM
posted by kizer permanente

Agreed, but Duke is extremely efficient even with his limited touches. It just doesn’t make sense to me. He consistently rates top 10 in his position and he gets next to nothing for touches. 

Link to top 10 at his position? What is that even based off of he gets like 3 touches 10 yards a game lol

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Tue, Mar 5, 2019 7:38 PM

Seeing some rumors that the Browns are poised to make a big move in free agency. I’ve seen OBJ and Brown’s names. 

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Tue, Mar 5, 2019 8:13 PM
posted by wildcats20

Seeing some rumors that the Browns are poised to make a big move in free agency. I’ve seen OBJ and Brown’s names. 

Of course, now I can’t find those 2 tweets I saw. 

iclfan2

Reppin' the 330/216/843

Tue, Mar 5, 2019 8:18 PM
posted by wildcats20

Of course, now I can’t find those 2 tweets I saw. 

Lotta smoke on Twitter by players and some media, but other than a couple mentioned obj I haven’t seen much else of the specific rumor 

BR1986FB

Tue, Mar 5, 2019 8:27 PM
posted by like_that

I wouldn't take it that far.  There are PLENTY of players that Browns fans have completely overvalued.  I am not saying Duke is that guy, but I have seen "player x is so talented" for so many players for the Browns, who ended up not doing shit regardless of coaching.

Agreed. Jerome Harrison & Peyton Hillis to name a few. Duke is solid but the world's not going to end if they move on from him.

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Wed, Mar 6, 2019 8:39 AM
posted by BR1986FB

Browns players losing their minds on Twitter...a lot of rumors (OBJ, Von Miller, Trey Flowers & CJ Mosley) flying around.

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Article/Baker-Mayfield-dinner-Von-Miller-Odell-Beckham-Jr-128416815/

Most of these would take a trade.  I pass on anything where we have to give up assets.  We finally have a GM with a good track record of drafting.  Let's not try and take shortcuts.  There is also a shit ton of cap room.  I don't see a reason to be trading away assets unless it is a pure trade rape. 

SportsAndLady

Wed, Mar 6, 2019 9:32 AM

They have so much cap room, I want Dorsey to go out and spend it but spend it smart. Like how the rams went and got some good FAs but not on long term crippling deals. 

We have 2-3 more years before we have to pay Myles/Baker, might as well spend some money to add talent around them. Of course, the main focus should be on the draft, but going into competing seasons with massive amounts of cap space? Idk about that

BR1986FB

Wed, Mar 6, 2019 9:38 AM
posted by SportsAndLady

They have so much cap room, I want Dorsey to go out and spend it but spend it smart. Like how the rams went and got some good FAs but not on long term crippling deals. 

We have 2-3 more years before we have to pay Myles/Baker, might as well spend some money to add talent around them. Of course, the main focus should be on the draft, but going into competing seasons with massive amounts of cap space? Idk about that

Agree with this. Add a few impact players, re-sign the guys you want to keep and use the draft for the rest. I can't say I'd cry (in a bad way) if I saw Von Miller lined up opposite of Myles.

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Wed, Mar 6, 2019 9:44 AM
posted by SportsAndLady

This is more/less what I am thinking.  If I am being picky though, the rams made trades that gave up assets.  They were going all in and were pretty close to winning it all.  I don't think the Browns are close to being able to go all in like the Rams did. Let Dorsey do his work in the Draft.  I am with you on cap space and signing guys though.  Dorsey has lot of wiggle room to sign guys with front loaded contracts, so those contracts don't get in the way of extending current talent on the roster.  He's a smart guy, so I think that would be his approach with these contracts.  Most NFL players prefer front loaded contracts. 

Commander of Awesome

Senior Pwner

Wed, Mar 6, 2019 1:18 PM
posted by like_that

This is more/less what I am thinking.  If I am being picky though, the rams made trades that gave up assets.  They were going all in and were pretty close to winning it all.  I don't think the Browns are close to being able to go all in like the Rams did. Let Dorsey do his work in the Draft.  I am with you on cap space and signing guys though.  Dorsey has lot of wiggle room to sign guys with front loaded contracts, so those contracts don't get in the way of extending current talent on the roster.  He's a smart guy, so I think that would be his approach with these contracts.  Most NFL players prefer front loaded contracts. 

I think we're closer bc Baker is better. Maybe our def isn't where we need it.

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Wed, Mar 6, 2019 1:29 PM
posted by Commander of Awesome

This is premature imo.  Even if it's true, I don't think it's a reason to trade away assets (especially major assets for someone like OBJ).  When you look at the SB champs and perennial contenders from the last 20 years, not many of them were trading away their pieces. 

slingshot4ever

Wed, Mar 6, 2019 2:42 PM

Jamie Collins has officially been cut.

BR1986FB

Wed, Mar 6, 2019 2:46 PM

And the defense does need to be a lock down defense. Although that would be nice, a middle of the pack defense, that's not giving up 30 points a game would be sufficient. With this offense, if they can hold their opponents to about 21 ppg they're going to go 11-5

iclfan2

Reppin' the 330/216/843

Wed, Mar 6, 2019 2:50 PM
posted by slingshot4ever

Jamie Collins has officially been cut.

More Cap space. That's why they need to front load some guys now. Tampering period starts Monday!

4PM Wednesday is the real beginning of the signing period.

Aditi reporting that Zeitler might be the next one out, as Corbett can replace. Dunno how good of an idea that is, as Zeitler was well rated in 2018.(He would need to be traded, not released)

SportsAndLady

Wed, Mar 6, 2019 3:16 PM

Will they try and re-sign him on a cheaper contract? I hope they do

Commander of Awesome

Senior Pwner

Wed, Mar 6, 2019 4:02 PM
posted by like_that

This is premature imo.  Even if it's true, I don't think it's a reason to trade away assets (especially major assets for someone like OBJ).  When you look at the SB champs and perennial contenders from the last 20 years, not many of them were trading away their pieces. 

I wasn't advocating for giving up the farm, esp for a guy like OBJ. Just pointing out that I think the Browns are better than the Rams at the QB position. Rams offseason was a risky one, but I applaud their boldness. Gotta pay to play.

I just hope we don't trade/spend significant cap money for guys in their 29-32 yr old range.

SportsAndLady

Wed, Mar 6, 2019 4:21 PM

I wasn't advocating for giving up the farm, esp for a guy like OBJ. Just pointing out that I think the Browns are better than the Rams at the QB position. Rams offseason was a risky one, but I applaud their boldness. Gotta pay to play.

I just hope we don't trade/spend significant cap money for guys in their 29-32 yr old range.

If they can help the team and not cripple future cap space, I don’t see why you’d be against that. 

SportsAndLady

Wed, Mar 6, 2019 4:21 PM

Kevin Zeitler’s name being thrown around in trade talks. Don’t really understand that one. Are they trying to get Austin Corbett time to play? If so, god help baker. 

iclfan2

Reppin' the 330/216/843

Wed, Mar 6, 2019 4:22 PM
posted by SportsAndLady

Kevin Zeitler’s name being thrown around in trade talks. Don’t really understand that one. Are they trying to get Austin Corbett time to play? If so, god help baker. 

They all seem to be teasing that he would be part of a Giants trade for OBJ, from what I've gathered. I don't think they move him for anything not great in return. 

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Wed, Mar 6, 2019 4:35 PM

Yeah I get that, I just think that take is a bit premature.  Let Baker play a full season with film on him.  

posted by SportsAndLady

If they can help the team and not cripple future cap space, I don’t see why you’d be against that. 

I don't think anyone is against this. 

BR1986FB

Wed, Mar 6, 2019 5:35 PM
posted by iclfan2

They all seem to be teasing that he would be part of a Giants trade for OBJ, from what I've gathered. I don't think they move him for anything not great in return. 

Right. Rumor is supposedly Zeitler, another player and draft picks for OBJ. 

iclfan2

Reppin' the 330/216/843

Wed, Mar 6, 2019 5:37 PM
posted by BR1986FB

Right. Rumor is supposedly Zeitler, another player and draft picks for OBJ. 

Dustin Fox said Ogbah could be the other player. Dorsey is usually pretty good on keeping things quiet though, so I’m skeptical.