2021 Olympics Thread

Home Forums Sports

geeblock

Fri, Jul 23, 2021 11:48 AM
posted by Heretic

If it's the Ross R. dude from Canada, he also was given his medal back less than 2 days after it was taken away, so all in all, that might be the single worst comparison that could possibly have been made.

Lol that’s what I was thinking. 

friendfromlowry

Fri, Jul 23, 2021 11:49 AM
posted by Laley23

I dont know "why"...but the 3x3 is half-court. Then again, I gave up trying to figure out Olympic sports. Like, there is multiple shooting ones, etc.

I assumed it was half court. Idk if it’s like a smaller country thing that didn’t have the talent/resources to put together a roster for full court 5x5. 

Laley23

GOAT

Fri, Jul 23, 2021 12:01 PM
posted by friendfromlowry

I assumed it was half court. Idk if it’s like a smaller country thing that didn’t have the talent/resources to put together a roster for full court 5x5. 

Thats probably a good reason. Like, USA didnt even qualify. Now, instead of needing at least 4-5 solid players and decent bench, probably can get by with 3 and then 1 guys on the bench? Does it even have a bench lol

geeblock

Fri, Jul 23, 2021 12:02 PM

It’s def half court, you would kill yourself playing 3x3 full court lol but it still seems like it is going to be very fast paced with a 12 second shot clock 

Laley23

GOAT

Fri, Jul 23, 2021 12:23 PM
posted by geeblock

It’s def half court, you would kill yourself playing 3x3 full court lol but it still seems like it is going to be very fast paced with a 12 second shot clock 

I think mostly if you went full court with 3x3 it would just be a lay-up drill. Virtually impossible to get back on defense. 

gut

Fri, Jul 23, 2021 1:22 PM

Would be interesting if we could have sent Lebron, KD and Curry...

Laley23

GOAT

Fri, Jul 23, 2021 1:36 PM
posted by gut
Would be interesting if we could have sent Lebron, KD and Curry...

Obviously USA would have the top talent if we took the best from each country for 3x3, but fun exercise on who might be second?

Canada? Slovenia? Lithuania? Hell, Congo could field a team that could possibly medal!

friendfromlowry

Fri, Jul 23, 2021 1:44 PM

Cameroon packs a nice 1-2 punch with Embiid and Siakam. My guess Canada or France would be toughest competition. It’s really too bad that the Olympics will never again feature all players healthy and willing to compete for their countries. 

Ironman92

Administrator

Sat, Jul 24, 2021 1:04 PM

Watched a preliminary round of ping pong…Kumar of USA won. I’m really good at ping pong and while I  would only score on a rare occasion…would love to play them in my garage, by my rules, with my meh lighting on my less than perfect table. Would have a blast losing 21-1 and 21-2.

superman

Sat, Jul 24, 2021 1:44 PM
posted by justincredible

The US not even making the games is embarrassing. This is garbage basketball. 

Ironman92

Administrator

Sat, Jul 24, 2021 1:58 PM

Watched some mixed archery….decent watch for 20 min. Biking on now

Ironman92

Administrator

Sat, Jul 24, 2021 2:17 PM

Dang….raced for over 6 hours and with 7 Km left McNulty led and he and 2nd were 20 seconds ahead of a pack of 6 and McNulty died going up a hill and fell all the way out of a medal….made a late charge and fell short.

Ironman92

Administrator

Sat, Jul 24, 2021 3:09 PM

Wow….world champion and gold medal favorite Seto of Japan doesn’t advance out of the preliminaries in the 400 freestyle swimming.

Ironman92

Administrator

Sat, Jul 24, 2021 5:00 PM

Man…gymnasts are crazy tough.

Russian gymnast tore his achilles in early April, then surgery and not to walk or run for 6 months and this dude 3 months later is out there vaulting and just did a floor exercise….fighting tears but holy crap man. The pressure of some of these sports that these athletes literally dedicate most of their life and time on.

friendfromlowry

Sat, Jul 24, 2021 6:52 PM

I’m surprised handball isn’t more popular in America.

jmog

Sat, Jul 24, 2021 6:53 PM
posted by justincredible

6 shots taken…0 made…good lord  

gut

Sat, Jul 24, 2021 6:59 PM
posted by jmog

6 shots taken…0 made…good lord  

WTF - are there no fouls?

jmog

Sat, Jul 24, 2021 7:21 PM

With all these “sports” I am seeing I can’t believe the IOC nearly got rid of the oldest Olympic sport in wrestling after 2016.

friendfromlowry

Sat, Jul 24, 2021 7:29 PM

I thought that no fans would really take away but I haven’t noticed much. Some of these events - like archery which I surprisingly enjoyed watching - probably weren’t getting a boost from fans anyways. 

Ironman92

Administrator

Sat, Jul 24, 2021 7:33 PM

I thought that no fans would really take away but I haven’t noticed much. Some of these events - like archery which I surprisingly enjoyed watching - probably weren’t getting a boost from fans anyways. 

Enjoyed archery too

Men’s volleyball looked very sharp

Zunardo

Sat, Jul 24, 2021 10:42 PM

I’m surprised handball isn’t more popular in America.

I learned to play team handball in 8th grade gym class 50 years ago,   The teacher had us watching films of teams playing so we could learn the positions and rules.  We formed up teams and a small league, but none of us were excited about it.  I remember thinking "yeah, yeah, it's soccer, but you can use your hands", lol.  

But yeah, those Olympic athletes are amazing to watch. 

friendfromlowry

Sat, Jul 24, 2021 11:18 PM
posted by Zunardo

I learned to play team handball in 8th grade gym class 50 years ago,   The teacher had us watching films of teams playing so we could learn the positions and rules.  We formed up teams and a small league, but none of us were excited about it.  I remember thinking "yeah, yeah, it's soccer, but you can use your hands", lol.  

But yeah, those Olympic athletes are amazing to watch. 

Fair enough. Seems like it could be a mix of everything. Hockey but not on ice. Basketball but goals instead of baskets. Soccer but with your hands. And with a lot of physical contact.

Laley23

GOAT

Sun, Jul 25, 2021 10:44 AM

France beats USA. Pop has his work cut out for him. Though, they should advance out of the group still. 

jmog

Sun, Jul 25, 2021 12:03 PM
posted by Laley23

France beats USA. Pop has his work cut out for him. Though, they should advance out of the group still. 

In what sport?