2021 Olympics Thread

Home Forums Sports

Ironman92

Administrator

Tue, Aug 3, 2021 10:24 PM

Gabby takes bronze but is gold in all of our eyes.

gut

Tue, Aug 3, 2021 10:30 PM

So I'm in the minority here that thinks Sydney McLaughlin is hotter than Gabby?

Ironman92

Administrator

Tue, Aug 3, 2021 10:37 PM
posted by gut

So I'm in the minority here that thinks Sydney McLaughlin is hotter than Gabby?

Personal preference….one more fit but sheer beauty has to go to Gabby.

McLaughlin and Muhammad was a great race for both đź‘Źđź‘Źđź‘Ź

Gardens35

Tue, Aug 3, 2021 11:03 PM

All 3 of them are attractive. 

sportchampps

Tue, Aug 3, 2021 11:49 PM

I would take Mclaughin  by a smidge. gabby has a Lisa turtle look to her

gut

Wed, Aug 4, 2021 12:53 AM

Speaking of good genetics....Karch Kiraly is fucking 60

Ironman92

Administrator

Wed, Aug 4, 2021 9:37 PM

Felix to the finals of the 400….medaling might be out of reach but you never know. I’ll guess 49.76 and 5th place 

Ironman92

Administrator

Wed, Aug 4, 2021 9:39 PM

Go fucking go Clayton Murphy! He has family near my school.

Ironman92

Administrator

Wed, Aug 4, 2021 10:42 PM

Murphy got clipped, pushed and trapped and never had a chance.

Gardens35

Wed, Aug 4, 2021 10:43 PM

And the USA Men's 4Ă—100 relay finishes 6th in its heat race.

Ironman92

Administrator

Wed, Aug 4, 2021 10:44 PM

Men’s 4x1 doesn’t advance to finals

What a fucking choke again. Ronnie Baker took off a bit late and only a .18 difference from 1st to 6th

How about spending some more damn time on this event. Haven’t won since 2000

Ironman92

Administrator

Wed, Aug 4, 2021 10:48 PM

And Brommell a sore loser

Ironman92

Administrator

Wed, Aug 4, 2021 11:00 PM

Damnit Holloway couldn’t finish…was worried about him after watching Jamaican in semis….he got him and Holloway a photo finish for 2nd.

Good for him for being a great sport about it.

Ironman92

Administrator

Wed, Aug 4, 2021 11:01 PM

Just said the Kovacks dude can bench almost 800 lbs? 

We’re going 1-2 in the shot put

gut

Wed, Aug 4, 2021 11:17 PM

Yeah, I gotta weigh 300+ and bench over 700 to medal in shotput?  GFY

Ironman92

Administrator

Wed, Aug 4, 2021 11:20 PM
posted by gut

Prolly not going to be 5’9 either

gut

Wed, Aug 4, 2021 11:23 PM
posted by Ironman92
Prolly not going to be 5’9 either

Gotta put the work in on the squats, too.

I almost think, for sheer power/explosion, those guys might be stronger than the weightlifters.

Ironman92

Administrator

Wed, Aug 4, 2021 11:23 PM
posted by gut

Like to see you tell them that to their face lol

gut

Wed, Aug 4, 2021 11:29 PM
posted by Ironman92

Like to see you tell them that to their face lol

Yeah, they might throw it far but don't seem all that accurate  :)

gut

Wed, Aug 4, 2021 11:43 PM

Might be just getting older and starting to feel my age at times, but I can't remember being so impressed from watching Olympics in many different events.

Watching the men on the parallel bars the other day, and they can all do such easy and perfect handstands - on the parallel bars.  We did the walk on your hands every day in wrestling for 4 years, and on my best day I might have gone 30 feet without falling.  And I had no hope of holding a handstand, much less with good form.  I was probably more athletic than 95% of the population, and in comparison to Olympians I'd be like Trump debating Einstein.

Back to that 95% number....That's still a few hundred thousand people my age who are better athletes.  Call it a 12-yr Olympic window, and that's about 3M people who are better athletes than me.  And only a few hundred of them go to the Olympics.  More or less all the athletic equivalent of Einstein. 

If Olympic athletes were 6-std deviations from the mean (i.e. six sigma), that would be 3-4 people per million, or about 1200 people in the US.  I think the Olympic team might be less than 1/4 of that.

Ironman92

Administrator

Thu, Aug 5, 2021 12:00 AM
posted by gut

Might be just getting older and starting to feel my age at times, but I can't remember being so impressed from watching Olympics in many different events.

Watching the men on the parallel bars the other day, and they can all do such easy and perfect handstands - on the parallel bars.  We did the walk on your hands every day in wrestling for 4 years, and on my best day I might have gone 30 feet without falling.  And I had no hope of holding a handstand, much less with good form.  I was probably more athletic than 95% of the population, and in comparison to Olympians I'd be like Trump debating Einstein.

Back to that 95% number....That's still a few hundred thousand people my age who are better athletes.  Call it a 12-yr Olympic window, and that's about 3M people who are better athletes than me.  And only a few hundred of them go to the Olympics.  More or less all the athletic equivalent of Einstein. 

If Olympic athletes were 6-std deviations from the mean (i.e. six sigma), that would be 3-4 people per million, or about 1200 people in the US.  I think the Olympic team might be less than 1/4 of that.

Yeah it’s the elitist of the elitist if the elite.

As I said earlier I had 2 gymnastic classes and we attempted every event and trained and practiced and we are just doing every skill under the bar and could do a simple flip on the vault. The strength of the gymnast teaching the class didn’t seem real. The dedication and discipline just really not fathomable.

These Olympian’s lives have been spent mostly in training.

Watching the triple jump….also had to have a track & field class and it’s was our basketball, baseball and soccer stars and we had an all-American soccer kid get to 38 feet….those guys are hitting 57. The vast majority of us were 29-34 feet. The javelin? I had a rocket arm compared to most others but getting that javelin to fly right….I could never quite get it. High jumping? Jumping your height is very impressive…those guys going 14-16 inches above theirs.

Easiest event to make it to Olympics? I guess maybe one with the smallest talent pool competing.

Ironman92

Administrator

Thu, Aug 5, 2021 12:01 AM
posted by gut

Yeah it’s the elitist of the elitist of the elite.

As I said earlier I had 2 gymnastic classes and we attempted every event and trained and practiced and we are just doing every skill under the bar and could do a simple flip on the vault. The strength of the gymnast teaching the class didn’t seem real. The dedication and discipline just really not fathomable.

These Olympian’s lives have been spent mostly in training.

Watching the triple jump….also had to have a track & field class and it’s was our basketball, baseball and soccer stars and we had an all-American soccer kid get to 38 feet….those guys are hitting 57. The vast majority of us were 29-34 feet. The javelin? I had a rocket arm compared to most others but getting that javelin to fly right….I could never quite get it. High jumping? Jumping your height is very impressive…those guys going 14-16 inches above theirs.

Easiest event to make it to Olympics? I guess maybe one with the smallest talent pool competing.

gut

Thu, Aug 5, 2021 12:45 AM
posted by Ironman92

That's a hell of a question.  A sexagenarian won a medal in Equestrian.   Small talent pool, right?  I've ridden a horse, literally, a handful of times - I was scared to death on a slow gallop.

But, hey, shooting a bow & arrow is easy - except you need to be more steady than a brain surgeon.

And the deal with Simone Biles wasn't a choke, but more like an illness/injury where you lost sense of where you are in the air.  I can't even comprehend what that must be like.  In 7th grade I barely did a front handspring off the vault.

gut

Fri, Aug 6, 2021 1:51 AM

"The US women's [bball] team is the toughest team to make in the world"

Agree to disagree

sportchampps

Fri, Aug 6, 2021 1:57 AM

Water Polo is impressive as hell. They are out there drowning each other and swimming forever.