2020 College football thread

Home Forums Sports

gut

Tue, Dec 8, 2020 7:23 PM

Money will win out.  Everyone realizes if OSU can't play in the championship then the Big Ten won't have a playoff team.  Last year, the four contenders each brought home $6M to their conference.

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Tue, Dec 8, 2020 7:29 PM

OSU will still be in the playoff without the B1G championship. Florida ain’t beating Alabama. No one else has a shot. It’s the current 4 and Florida that are vying for the top 4. Texas A&M is just a placeholder in the 5th spot. 

Verbal Kint

Tue, Dec 8, 2020 7:43 PM

If OSU is not eligible for playing in the championship, they play the Iowa/Wisc winner on 12/19, correct?

Al Bundy

Tue, Dec 8, 2020 7:53 PM
posted by Verbal Kint

If OSU is not eligible for playing in the championship, they play the Iowa/Wisc winner on 12/19, correct?

That is correct. I don't think that playoff committee will care among Northwestern/Iowa/Wisconsin. The Buckeyes would just miss out on a chance for Big Ten Championship.

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Tue, Dec 8, 2020 7:59 PM
posted by Al Bundy

That is correct. I don't think that playoff committee will care among Northwestern/Iowa/Wisconsin. The Buckeyes would just miss out on a chance for Big Ten Championship.

No, they wouldn’t. 6-0 OSU is in unless Florida beats Bama. 

gut

Tue, Dec 8, 2020 8:08 PM
posted by wildcats20

No, they wouldn’t. 6-0 OSU is in unless Florida beats Bama. 

I'm sure some will disagree, but the ACC title game should eliminate ND or Clemson.  IMO, ND barely beat the back-up QB at home, in double OT.  So even if ND loses a close game, they should be eliminated.

I'd like to see CIN squeak in there. I don't care if others are more deserving, if they are 1 of 3 undefeated teams they earned a ticket.

Al Bundy

Tue, Dec 8, 2020 8:18 PM
posted by gut

I'm sure some will disagree, but the ACC title game should eliminate ND or Clemson.  IMO, ND barely beat the back-up QB at home, in double OT.  So even if ND loses a close game, they should be eliminated.

I'd like to see CIN squeak in there. I don't care if others are more deserving, if they are 1 of 3 undefeated teams they earned a ticket.

With Cincy falling to 8th in the new rankings and having future games cancelled, I don't see a path for them.

Verbal Kint

Tue, Dec 8, 2020 8:22 PM
posted by gut

OSU would be in trouble if both:

Florida beats Alabama close &... 

Clemson beats ND in a well played game by less than a score, then...

gut

Tue, Dec 8, 2020 8:27 PM
posted by Verbal Kint

OSU would be in trouble if both:

Florida beats Alabama close &... 

Clemson beats ND in a well played game by less than a score, then...

It might be hard if OSU is sitting there at only 5-0....but you really can't justify a scenario where both FL and Bama are in - they have what basically amounts to a play-in game.

If ND loses a close one, then I can see that argument.  But, like I said, the winner of that game really should eliminate the loser.

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Tue, Dec 8, 2020 8:28 PM

Bama is lock unless Florida curb stomps them. 

Also, OSU will be 6-0. They will get a game next weekend no matter what. 

gut

Tue, Dec 8, 2020 8:32 PM
posted by wildcats20

Bama is lock unless Florida curb stomps them.

I understand that.  I don't agree with it.

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Tue, Dec 8, 2020 8:37 PM
posted by gut

I understand that.  I don't agree with it.

Why? You think because they lose the SEC title to a good Florida team, they aren’t one of the best 4 teams? 

gut

Tue, Dec 8, 2020 8:52 PM
posted by wildcats20

Why? You think because they lose the SEC title to a good Florida team, they aren’t one of the best 4 teams?

No, I'm saying the SEC title game is, or should be, a play-in game.  I'd apply that logic to all CC games.

And, actually, I don't know if Bama is a top-4 team if they lose to FL.  I might think that, but I WOULD know Bama wasn't the best team in their conference.

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Wed, Dec 9, 2020 12:26 PM

The “rule” is going to be changed, allowing OSU(rightfully) into the B1G championship game. Announcement coming sometime today. 

Would have been less dramatic to just schedule a game for them, but that’s the Kevin Warren for ya. 

Devils Advocate

Brudda o da bomber

Wed, Dec 9, 2020 12:43 PM

It seems pointless to scramble and get Ohio State a game because win or lose the would play in the championship game. The B1G will change the rules.

Laley23

GOAT

Wed, Dec 9, 2020 12:47 PM

OSU deserves to be in it, by beating the 2nd best team. I just don’t understand why you instituted the rule to begin the year if you’re going to bend over backwards when this situation arises. It looks horrible for everyone involved.

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Wed, Dec 9, 2020 2:08 PM

IU/Purdue officially cancelled. 

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Wed, Dec 9, 2020 3:00 PM

What's the big deal about changing the "rule".  After all, there was once a "rule" that the Big Ten wouldn't play any games this year.  That was changed.  So what.  Ohio State is the best team in its division, it beat Indiana head-to-head.  This is absolutely the right move.  

Laley23

GOAT

Wed, Dec 9, 2020 3:15 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

What's the big deal about changing the "rule".  After all, there was once a "rule" that the Big Ten wouldn't play any games this year.  That was changed.  So what.  Ohio State is the best team in its division, it beat Indiana head-to-head.  This is absolutely the right move.  

Because there are now plenty of people saying it’s fine to bend the rules for OSU. But they wouldn’t bend the rules unless it was OSU. Why did they put in a minimum game requirement at all?

Automatik

Wed, Dec 9, 2020 3:35 PM

I'd probably bitch too, but more-so if the 6th game L would keep them out of the title game, which it wouldn't. 

The B10 brought this on themselves for dragging their feet. But now....ohh OSU and $$$$! Let's change it.

Verbal Kint

Wed, Dec 9, 2020 3:50 PM

$6m/14 = $420K

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Wed, Dec 9, 2020 4:35 PM
posted by Laley23

Because there are now plenty of people saying it’s fine to bend the rules for OSU. But they wouldn’t bend the rules unless it was OSU. Why did they put in a minimum game requirement at all?

To those people I'd say - it's not like he six game rule is some decades-old tradition the Big Ten has observed.  It was an arbitrary number they set when they were scrambling to undo another brand new rule (that there'd be no Big Ten season).

I think this change would be made for any team in OSU's position because it's only fair.  The playoff has nothing to do with it because OSU would still be getting into that without the Big Ten championship game (likely).

The bitching I've heard primarily comes from Michigan fans.  And who the hell cares what they think.  Their program is irrelevant so they have nothing better to do than try to drag others into their hell.

queencitybuckeye

Wed, Dec 9, 2020 5:07 PM
posted by Laley23

It is fine. Why pretend the various members are equal?

sportchampps

Wed, Dec 9, 2020 6:02 PM
posted by Laley23

OSU deserves to be in it, by beating the 2nd best team. I just don’t understand why you instituted the rule to begin the year if you’re going to bend over backwards when this situation arises. It looks horrible for everyone involved.

I agree partly. I think the fact that OSU was in this week win or lose as long as the game was played is enough that people should understand why the rule was amended. Kevin Warren has proven to be a joke as a commish and should be gone at this point.

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Wed, Dec 9, 2020 6:06 PM

OSU could have forfeited the game with Michigan and technically reached the six game mark.  That's a screwed up way to look at it.