2020 College football thread

Home Forums Sports

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Mon, Jan 11, 2021 10:08 PM

OSU got the stop at the end of the half. Must get another one to start the 3rd quarter. 

Ironman92

Administrator

Mon, Jan 11, 2021 10:24 PM

Smith and Barmore look like NFL all-pros playing college

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Mon, Jan 11, 2021 10:44 PM

3 plays, 75 yards. That’s good. 

gut

Mon, Jan 11, 2021 11:00 PM
posted by Ironman92

Smith and Barmore look like NFL all-pros playing college

Smith is just so smooth. I think he's a top-5 receiver in the NFL.  As a rookie.

Ironman92

Administrator

Mon, Jan 11, 2021 11:05 PM
posted by gut

Smith is just so smooth. I think he's a top-5 receiver in the NFL.  As a rookie.

Barmore is incredible

Al Bundy

Mon, Jan 11, 2021 11:14 PM
posted by gut

A lot will depend upon who his teammates and coaches are.

gut

Mon, Jan 11, 2021 11:28 PM
posted by Al Bundy

A lot will depend upon who his teammates and coaches are.

Well, JAX and NYJ will almost certainly go QB.

MIA could be interesting, but I think drafting top-5 needs to be QB or defensive monster in most cases.

Then you have ATL, and Ryan probably has a few years left so they probably don't take a QB.  That team needs defensive help more than anything.

My bet is CIN.  AJ Green is still a stud, but he'll be 33.  You gotta go get DeVonta for Burrow.  Those two might be something really special together.

Laley23

GOAT

Mon, Jan 11, 2021 11:37 PM

I’m not sure Green is anything more than a serviceable 2 at this point. Miami has the Tua connection. 

friendfromlowry

Mon, Jan 11, 2021 11:37 PM

I thought Miami would be a good spot for him. They need an offensive playmaker. But there’s also the possibility they package the pick to Houston to go after Watson. 

gut

Tue, Jan 12, 2021 12:09 AM

I'm not sure MIA is sold on Tua.  That was a dumb pick, in the opinion of a lot of people.  Even without the debilitating injury issues.

I think MIA will most likely be looking to trade down, or go defense.

TBH, receivers get a lot of headlines but in many respects, they're a commodity just like RB.  If you've got the OL and QB, you don't need great receivers.

As a Steeler fan, I probably see this more clearly than most.  They've been good at drafting, but it's more about the QB.  And from a cap perspective, it's really hard to pay a top receiver $20M per year, which is where DeVonta is going to be in 5 years....especially if you're paying a franchise QB.  You're talking about 25% of your cap on 2 players, on offense.

For CIN it will be too hard to pass-up.  But you don't draft RB in R1, and you don't draft WR in the top-15.  For a team that might be 1 playmaker away from a SB, I'd probably mortgage the farm to trade up for Smith.

Spock

Tue, Jan 12, 2021 11:07 AM

OSU got nothing from the D line last night.  

Our play makers are just as good as theirs.  

Surely got outcoached.  Bama and all their little trick plays and shovel passes fooled us.

queencitybuckeye

Tue, Jan 12, 2021 12:21 PM
posted by Spock

Surely got outcoached.  Bama and all their little trick plays and shovel passes fooled us.

Bama's offensive talent is head and tails better than the talent on our defense this year. Unless they make lots of big mistakes, they score a lot on this defense. Period.

There are no coaching tricks in the world that makes last night a game.

Al Bundy

Tue, Jan 12, 2021 12:27 PM
posted by Spock

Bama has much better skill players this year than OSU, especially in the defensive backfield. OSU was clearly the second best team in the country this season, but it is just one of those years where the gap between #1 and #2 was extremely large.

ernest_t_bass

12th Son of the Lama

Tue, Jan 12, 2021 12:39 PM

Spock, you are dum

friendfromlowry

Tue, Jan 12, 2021 12:57 PM
posted by Spock

Which OSU WR won the heisman and will likely be drafted in the top few picks? 

queencitybuckeye

Tue, Jan 12, 2021 4:07 PM
posted by friendfromlowry

Which OSU WR won the heisman and will likely be drafted in the top few picks? 

To give CC accidental credit, the tOSU receiver room has more depth than Bama. However, your point is by far the larger one.

Laley23

GOAT

Tue, Jan 12, 2021 4:29 PM

Maybe if you go past players who actually see the field.

Bama is gonna have 2 guys taken before Olave. And Metchie will be taken pretty high when he comes out as well. 

If you want to not include Waddle cause he didn’t play, ok. But I can’t get on board with someone saying they have more depth when the top 2 alone are better than Olave.

queencitybuckeye

Tue, Jan 12, 2021 5:28 PM
posted by Laley23

Maybe if you go past players who actually see the field.

Bama is gonna have 2 guys taken before Olave. And Metchie will be taken pretty high when he comes out as well. 

If you want to not include Waddle cause he didn’t play, ok. But I can’t get on board with someone saying they have more depth when the top 2 alone are better than Olave.

See the field this year, perhaps. Some of the AYOs will be 1st round picks in a couple of years, and Smith-Njigba is better today than either guy you mentioned. Right now.

friendfromlowry

Tue, Jan 12, 2021 6:23 PM

Per ESPN, last nights game drew 18.7 million viewers. The previous low was 21.4 million. 

BRF

Wed, Jun 9, 2021 9:49 PM

OMG!

And WTF?

Verbal Kint

Fri, Jun 11, 2021 1:25 PM

Another statute coming down?

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Fri, Jun 11, 2021 1:53 PM
posted by Verbal Kint

Another statute coming down?

I guess so.  Contrasting this with Penn State, the key players were around to answer the accusations - even Paterno before he died.  The problem here is that Bo's long gone.  If there was abuse, it is bad.  But the problem with automatically believing the accusers without the accused even being present to give a defense is that it's a very slippery slope to "anyone can say anything they want".  I'm not saying that's the case here, but who the hell knows the facts here.  Bo's son hated his guts.  Maybe that's becuase he was abused and not protected by his father.  But maybe it's due to something else and that's at work here.  Same for the former players.  Maybe they were abused and protested to Bo.  But maybe they hated him for reasons we'll never know.  Unless someone can corroborate these stories, there will never be a resolution.  If that's true, than anyone dead is fair game to a similar fate.