Covid-19 discussion, continued...

Gardens35

Mon, Nov 15, 2021 3:52 PM

posted by like_that

That's a lovely accent you have. New Jersey?

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Mon, Nov 15, 2021 4:37 PM

Let's put another shrimp on the barby!

j_crazy

7 gram rocks. how i roll.

Mon, Nov 15, 2021 4:39 PM
posted by kizer permanente

I never heard about this  

No one outside of my industry seems to know about them. here's a list off the top of my head listed in order of my perception of their importance.

1. Mariner East 2

2. Dakota Access

3. Mountain Valley

4. Keystone XL (true, it's largely used to transport canadian oil to market, so it's not really a huge improvement for american producers. but that oil is still going to markets in galveston and the east coast by rail and truck, so huge carbon impact)

5. Atlantic Coast

6. Enbridge Line 3 (big news last week)

7. Enbridge Line 5

kizer permanente

Mon, Nov 15, 2021 5:40 PM
posted by jmog

Austria, not Australia, 2 different countries.

Dumb and dumber, man. 

gut

Mon, Nov 15, 2021 6:02 PM
posted by Fletch

Do you think we would have this price under Trump?

The market will price in future changes in supply, so Biden's actions definitely have an impact.  But there's also been a demand surge with people getting back to work, travel, etc...A lot of climate change headwinds, and dropping $500B on green initiatives isn't a positive development for gas prices.

So prices would be marginally lower under Trump, I think.  No idea how much, guessing maybe like 10% lower.  It's pretty much impossible for 1 country to long-term impact supply to drive price changes....so with Trump you're looking at a little more locally sourced drilling, which basically yields just a transportation savings.

Probably too complex to try to manipulate gas prices in order to prop up more expensive wind & solar, but it remains true that prices have to be similar in order for people to swallow the switch from fossil fuels.  Large tax increases for gas, and possibly carbon credits, are on the horizon.

Fletch

Mon, Nov 15, 2021 6:50 PM
posted by gut

The market will price in future changes in supply, so Biden's actions definitely have an impact.  But there's also been a demand surge with people getting back to work, travel, etc...A lot of climate change headwinds, and dropping $500B on green initiatives isn't a positive development for gas prices.

So prices would be marginally lower under Trump, I think.  No idea how much, guessing maybe like 10% lower.  It's pretty much impossible for 1 country to long-term impact supply to drive price changes....so with Trump you're looking at a little more locally sourced drilling, which basically yields just a transportation savings.

Probably too complex to try to manipulate gas prices in order to prop up more expensive wind & solar, but it remains true that prices have to be similar in order for people to swallow the switch from fossil fuels.  Large tax increases for gas, and possibly carbon credits, are on the horizon.

lolololoollloooll, 10%.  You do realize that gas went up over 100%?  To say it still would have went up90% under trump is laughable

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Mon, Nov 15, 2021 7:10 PM

My God, people.

gut

Mon, Nov 15, 2021 7:55 PM
posted by Fletch

lolololoollloooll, 10%.  You do realize that gas went up over 100%?  To say it still would have went up90% under trump is laughable

Of course you're using the pandemic bottom as your baseline.  Not exactly honest.

But $2.58 this time in 2019, vs. $3.42 now.  So my 10% lower would yield $3.08, which is less than 20% above 2019.

And 20% would still be overly generous.  There were already some flashing recession signals late in 2019, and gas had already come down from it's peak at about $2.90.

Still not as high as it was a decade ago - and you understand what the main driver of that was? 

gut

Mon, Nov 15, 2021 7:57 PM

And, of course, gas prices actually rose about 20% under Trump.  But that was some real 4D chess he played with his pandemic response to drive gas prices lower.

bigorangebuck22

Mon, Nov 15, 2021 8:39 PM
posted by justincredible

Let's put another shrimp on the barby!

Vegamite on wiener schnitzel.

bigorangebuck22

Mon, Nov 15, 2021 8:43 PM
posted by gut

Of course you're using the pandemic bottom as your baseline.  Not exactly honest.

But $2.58 this time in 2019, vs. $3.42 now.  So my 10% lower would yield $3.08, which is less than 20% above 2019.

And 20% would still be overly generous.  There were already some flashing recession signals late in 2019, and gas had already come down from it's peak at about $2.90.

Still not as high as it was a decade ago - and you understand what the main driver of that was? 

The biggest difference is the wing nut media sites and meme makers would be ignoring the rise.

jmog

Mon, Nov 15, 2021 11:01 PM
posted by kizer permanente

Dumb and dumber, man. 

Being honest and vulnerable here…

It took me many years growing up to be able to tell when people were being sarcastic in real life, I still can’t tell in a forum or text if they are unless it is BLATANTLY obvious like with an emoji or something.

If that was a joke my bad.

jmog

Mon, Nov 15, 2021 11:04 PM
posted by gut

You’re not wrong.

POTUS decisions can affect gas prices but maybe only 10%, 20% tops. 

And Fletch/CC is also being disingenuous at best using last years prices as the baseline when the market was FLOODED in supply due to the low demand with people not driving hardly at all.

Heretic

Son of the Sun

Tue, Nov 16, 2021 10:39 AM

posted by jmog

You’re not wrong.

POTUS decisions can affect gas prices but maybe only 10%, 20% tops. 

And Fletch/CC is also being disingenuous at best using last years prices as the baseline when the market was FLOODED in supply due to the low demand with people not driving hardly at all.

Or Fletch/CC is being what he usually is: A complete dumbass pretending his hypothetical "if this had happened, then do you think that would have happened" points are actually legit arguments despite him having a bit less than a small child's knowledge on how anything actually works.

jmog

Tue, Nov 16, 2021 4:21 PM
posted by Heretic
Or Fletch/CC is being what he usually is: A complete dumbass pretending his hypothetical "if this had happened, then do you think that would have happened" points are actually legit arguments despite him having a bit less than a small child's knowledge on how anything actually works.

But hey, he sure knows how to teach kids how to play dodgeball  

Fletch

Tue, Nov 16, 2021 8:32 PM

Funny thing is that I am rarely wrong

superman

Tue, Nov 16, 2021 8:52 PM
posted by Fletch

Funniest thing I've ever read

jmog

Tue, Nov 16, 2021 10:51 PM
posted by Fletch

Lol, yeah, Rarely…lol  

Heretic

Son of the Sun

Wed, Nov 17, 2021 10:42 AM
posted by Fletch

Yeah, you saying you're rarely wrong is funny. A lot funnier than anything you could say with the actual intent being to amuse.

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Wed, Nov 17, 2021 2:40 PM
posted by justincredible

My God, people.

I am sorry.