Covid-19 discussion, continued...

BRF

Fri, Jan 1, 2021 4:46 PM
posted by Heretic

Going "mad" as in how? Medicine side effects, the disease having some sort of strange effect on peoples' brains or something else?

Mad as in insane from effects caused by the disease on the brain.

Heretic

Son of the Sun

Fri, Jan 1, 2021 4:58 PM
posted by BRF

Mad as in insane from effects caused by the disease on the brain.

Damn, that's something I wouldn't have even considered. When I think the mental effects of the disease, I've mainly thought about things like going stir-crazy or having a relative in a nursing home or hospital whom you can't visit due to rules or the other personal stress factors.

Fletch

Fri, Jan 1, 2021 5:00 PM

China really made a whopper out of this virus.

As for the mental part, the fear around this thing is worse then the actual infection.  

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Fri, Jan 1, 2021 5:01 PM
posted by kizer permanente

Neighbor of mine growing up and guy I used to go to the gym with  killed himself in his car last night. I only put this here bc people have mentioned the mental health toll the pandemic takes. He was always a little off but nice person nonetheless. Super into working out and body building. Not sure I expected him to kill himself as much effort as he put into himself but I know mental health doesn’t care about your hobbies. 

This is terrible.

sportchampps

Fri, Jan 1, 2021 7:27 PM

Yeah suicide seems to be on the rise again. A good friends sister in law killed her self last week. She had attempted in a couple times before but this time it worked. She literally did everything she could before her death. She transferred everything to the people she wanted then left instructions for everything else. The sad part is she told her parents in the note she didn’t want any funeral or ceremony and no obituary or Facebook announcements. She basically wants her parents to hold it in internally. 

Also had another friend who sister in law went to Vegas and killed herself i. A room at the flamingo. Same deal left notes for everybody with instructions and even a note to the maid who found her saying she was sorry. 

With Covid and Holidays keeping people apart we all need to do our best to check in on friends and family. 

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Sat, Jan 2, 2021 4:44 AM

Depression and suicide were a big issue in the US prior to COVID, so I am not shocked COVID is making it worse.  

I place a lot of the blame on media and social media.  

friendfromlowry

Sun, Jan 3, 2021 2:07 AM

Wanted to share an experience from work since it relates to what a couple other people here were saying recently.

Elderly man comes in tonight with stomach bleed. Initially he’s okay, talking with us. He said his Christmas was quiet and low-key, just stayed home with wife because of everything going on. Didn’t even have his kids over.

Couple hours later he suffers a heart attack and dies.

It sucks. I remember people on here saying they were going to have family over despite the warnings because you just never know how much time you have left. 

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Sun, Jan 3, 2021 5:50 AM
posted by friendfromlowry

Wanted to share an experience from work since it relates to what a couple other people here were saying recently.

Elderly man comes in tonight with stomach bleed. Initially he’s okay, talking with us. He said his Christmas was quiet and low-key, just stayed home with wife because of everything going on. Didn’t even have his kids over.

Couple hours later he suffers a heart attack and dies.

It sucks. I remember people on here saying they were going to have family over despite the warnings because you just never know how much time you have left. 

Is stomach bleed a COVID symptom, or this is just a story in general to spend time for your family?

friendfromlowry

Sun, Jan 3, 2021 6:42 AM
posted by like_that

Is stomach bleed a COVID symptom, or this is just a story in general to spend time for your family?

My anecdote wasn’t very well worded. The point was that I don’t think you can be blamed for wanting to spend time with family and disregard the guidelines, or get together while still trying to be safe. You never know what tomorrow brings. Others on here had said something  similar when it came to spending time with family during the holidays.

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Sun, Jan 3, 2021 8:23 AM
posted by friendfromlowry

My anecdote wasn’t very well worded. The point was that I don’t think you can be blamed for wanting to spend time with family and disregard the guidelines, or get together while still trying to be safe. You never know what tomorrow brings. Others on here had said something  similar when it came to spending time with family during the holidays.

I figured that was your point, I was just seeking clarification.  

QuakerOats

Mon, Jan 4, 2021 5:08 PM
posted by Fletch

China really made a whopper out of this virus.

As for the mental part, the fear around this thing is worse then the actual infection.  

Agree ..........on both counts

gut

Mon, Jan 4, 2021 7:25 PM

So the UK decided to halve the doses for people under 50 (there's apparently some research supporting that).  And then pushing out the second dose to 3 months instead of 3 weeks, which wasn't trialed.

That seems like big choices that really should have been, you know, studied in a controlled trial to determine efficacy.

Saw where the first dose of Pfizer's is 91% protection, which if true makes the choice to set aside the second doses even dumber.  Not that it matters because our state govts are apparently too incompetent to roll out a mass vaccination program.

Fletch

Mon, Jan 4, 2021 7:28 PM
posted by gut

So the UK decided to halve the doses for people under 50 (there's apparently some research supporting that).  And then pushing out the second dose to 3 months instead of 3 weeks, which wasn't trialed.

That seems like big choices that really should have been, you know, studied in a controlled trial to determine efficacy.

Saw where the first dose of Pfizer's is 91% protection, which if true makes the choice to set aside the second doses even dumber.  Not that it matters because our state govts are apparently too incompetent to roll out a mass vaccination program.

Hadn’t seen any of those stats about single dose.  

Could just offer free antibody testing after first dose to possibly save doses for others.

Verbal Kint

Tue, Jan 5, 2021 12:09 PM

Leo Murder |  WHEN YOU'RE IN COURT FOR MURDER BUT THE VICTIM HAD COVID IN THE LAST 28 DAYS | image tagged in memes,laughing leo,funny memes,too funny,covid19,covid | made w/ Imgflip meme maker

iclfan2

Reppin' the 330/216/843

Thu, Jan 7, 2021 12:46 PM

Cuomo continues to go a bang up job.

gut

Thu, Jan 7, 2021 1:02 PM
posted by iclfan2

Cuomo continues to go a bang up job.

As usual, it's hard to tell because both have been pointing fingers and the media doesn't know which side to take.

Here's a vaccination tracker.  It appears to me that many states, including NY/OH/FL are all pretty close in per capita vaccination rates.  Several states doing "well" are surprising, but only Colorado and TN are larger states population wise.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccinations

But given only 1/3 of what's been distributed has been put in arms is pretty poor.  I don't really accept blaming the federal govt for this - governors had 9 months to formulate a plan.  And while deliveries are also behind (THAT is the feds fault), the vaccinations are way behind.  People blame Trump for waiting like 4 days to sign the stimulus bill, but Pelosi could have gotten this done two months ago but didn't want to give that to Trump ahead of the election.

Spock

Fri, Jan 8, 2021 12:05 PM

https://www.whio.com/news/trending/coronavirus-pfizer-vaccine-effective-against-16-mutations-found-variants-preliminary-study-says/WZ6EJDHSZFBIBPZUUSEYGE4LD4/

If its on the up and up then good.  

Eyebrows raised on the speed in which they find this out and also are they positioning their media saturation to get more people to take their vaccine over the other ones?

This vaccine is a money maker for a few years.  The more market share they have the better.

gut

Fri, Jan 8, 2021 12:23 PM
posted by Spock

If its on the up and up then good.  

Eyebrows raised on the speed

They don't need to do a trial in humans to know it's potentially effective.  They can test the effectiveness of the protein or whatever in a lab petri dish.  Since they know the delivery mechanism and antibodies work in people, they can be highly confident their vaccine will work on the new mutations.  Not 100%, obviously, but probably fairly close.

Moderna should be no different.  It's basically the same mechanism with a slightly different delivery concoction.

No idea with Astrazeneca, but my guess is it and all the other vaccines will still work.  As I understand these new variants, it's basically a sharper and/or longer sword the virus uses but nothing as far as "defenses" the vaccines target.

sportchampps

Fri, Jan 8, 2021 2:20 PM

If I had a choice I would probably choose one of the two vaccines available now but once Johnson and Johnson hits the market it will probably be the one most people get. They have 100 million doses ready to go for the US and its only one shot and doesn’t need special storage. 

It should get approval and ready to go by early/mid February and should significantly speed up the number of vaccines given each day.

iclfan2

Reppin' the 330/216/843

Sat, Jan 9, 2021 7:24 AM

Has anyone been following the Barstool fund? Regardless of what you think of them, they’ve raised almost $21M dollars and are giving it to businesses to keep them afloat until Covid is over. Some of the videos hit you right in the feels. 

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Sat, Jan 9, 2021 7:27 AM
posted by iclfan2

Has anyone been following the Barstool fund? Regardless of what you think of them, they’ve raised almost $21M dollars and are giving it to businesses to keep them afloat until Covid is over. Some of the videos hit you right in the feels. 

Yup, I donated to them.

sportchampps

Sat, Jan 9, 2021 7:49 AM
posted by like_that

Yup, I donated to them.

Same Love ot

Automatik

Sat, Jan 9, 2021 2:29 PM

You ever gonna remove Trump's dong from your mouth?

OF COURSE China was bullshitting. If it was up to me I would have banned travel from Europe, hell maybe even closed the borders completely.