Covid-19 discussion, continued...

friendfromlowry

Tue, Nov 24, 2020 3:01 PM

DeWine says aiming for December 15th for first vaccinations.

Spock

Tue, Nov 24, 2020 3:20 PM

Mask wearing is 80% + in the Dayton areas and north.  Maybe even 90%.  

ernest_t_bass

12th Son of the Lama

Tue, Nov 24, 2020 3:25 PM
posted by Spock

Mask wearing is 80% + in the Dayton areas and north.  Maybe even 90%.  

you don't do maths

gut

Tue, Nov 24, 2020 3:30 PM
posted by friendfromlowry

DeWine says aiming for December 15th for first vaccinations.

I wonder if who gets the vaccine is a federal or state decision?  I'd assume the feds can ration among the states, but it would be the state that decides who gets it first.  I know the military is distributing.  Healthcare workers and assisted living are fairly easy, but trying to prioritize all the at-risk elderly people that aren't in a nursing home seems like a complicated and ginormous task.  Could be kind of dumb luck, depending on your PCP, that you might be able to get it 6-8 weeks before someone else in your risk group.

And if teachers demand special treatment and top priority for blanket immunization, that's going to make a lot of at-risk elderly people wait almost an extra month.

Ironman92

Administrator

Tue, Nov 24, 2020 4:01 PM
posted by kizer permanente

Grocery stores mostly. Outside and around town I bet that number goes down to 20-25% tops. 

Not here in my redneck town. Kroger and Walmart grocery are a solid 80+%

Ironman92

Administrator

Tue, Nov 24, 2020 4:02 PM

DeWine recommended no fans at sporting events just days after OHSAA said winter sports are a go.

Superintendents and AD’s are pretty ticked at the decision

gut

Tue, Nov 24, 2020 4:18 PM
posted by Ironman92

DeWine recommended no fans at sporting events just days after OHSAA said winter sports are a go.

Superintendents and AD’s are pretty ticked at the decision

I'm kind of shocked they're allowing winter sports to go ahead at all.  I don't see a reason not to, just surprised they didn't come up with one!

Ironman92

Administrator

Tue, Nov 24, 2020 4:22 PM

And OHSAA just followed DeWine and said parents only will be permitted at games 

DeWine sucks

Al Bundy

Tue, Nov 24, 2020 4:32 PM
posted by Ironman92

DeWine sucks

Wasn't that the rule for fall sports too?

jmog

Tue, Nov 24, 2020 5:42 PM
posted by iclfan2

I said this many pages ago and on yappi. Anyone, and I do mean anyone, who says online learning is just as effective is either ignorant of reality or lying to you on purpose  to push some agenda.

jmog

Tue, Nov 24, 2020 5:43 PM
posted by Ironman92

DeWine sucks

To be fair, no one but parents have been allowed at any HS sports all season long. Each athlete literally was only allowed to buy 2 tickets for each game and that was all that was allowed it.

ernest_t_bass

12th Son of the Lama

Tue, Nov 24, 2020 10:21 PM
posted by Ironman92

DeWine sucks

I'm beyond sick of Dewine

ernest_t_bass

12th Son of the Lama

Tue, Nov 24, 2020 10:22 PM
posted by jmog

To be fair, no one but parents have been allowed at any HS sports all season long. Each athlete literally was only allowed to buy 2 tickets for each game and that was all that was allowed it.

This isn't correct.  Each school was different.  It was 15% capacity of fixed seating.  

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Wed, Nov 25, 2020 12:24 AM
posted by jmog

I said this many pages ago and on yappi. Anyone, and I do mean anyone, who says online learning is just as effective is either ignorant of reality or lying to you on purpose  to push some agenda.

Incoming anecdotal experiences to counter the data. 

Spock

Wed, Nov 25, 2020 8:36 AM
posted by ernest_t_bass

This isn't correct.  Each school was different.  It was 15% capacity of fixed seating.  

yes and in most cases that is hardly anyone.  The point is that winter sports can easily have fans.  DeWine is only making it about politics.  Not about the science.

ernest_t_bass

12th Son of the Lama

Wed, Nov 25, 2020 9:17 AM

As a winter sports coach, though, if they say no fans and we can play... fans GTFO

kizer permanente

Wed, Nov 25, 2020 10:47 AM

Former golf league partner of mine died today after 2 weeks on a vent in the hospital. He was 51. 1 kid in high school  and other 2 in college. 

jmog

Wed, Nov 25, 2020 10:59 AM
posted by ernest_t_bass

As a winter sports coach, though, if they say no fans and we can play... fans GTFO

Agreed, my son is a wrestler, if that's how they will get to have a season, then my parents will just have to have a season they can't see him wrestle.

FB live works great.

jmog

Wed, Nov 25, 2020 11:00 AM

Former golf league partner of mine died today after 2 weeks on a vent in the hospital. He was 51. 1 kid in high school  and other 2 in college. 

That truly sucks, my heart goes out to his family.

Spock

Wed, Nov 25, 2020 11:13 AM

Not hard to run a live feed video of basketball and wrestling matches.  People can watch from home.

Ironman92

Administrator

Wed, Nov 25, 2020 2:04 PM
posted by jmog

No...DeWine said no one at games and OHSAA explained better what was to be.

Our fall sports athletes got tickets per athlete.

QuakerOats

Mon, Nov 30, 2020 3:07 PM

Sorry to hear; that is tragic. 

The first loads of vaccine arrive today; hopefully the most vulnerable and front-line folks can receive them all in December.

Verbal Kint

Wed, Dec 2, 2020 1:05 PM
posted by QuakerOats

Sorry to hear; that is tragic. 

The first loads of vaccine arrive today; hopefully the most vulnerable and front-line folks can receive them all in December.

ELI5: I don't take a flu shot and rarely get the flu for any extended period of time, is the COVID vaccine going to need to be taken annually like the other virus shot?

Spock

Wed, Dec 2, 2020 1:24 PM
posted by Verbal Kint

ELI5: I don't take a flu shot and rarely get the flu for any extended period of time, is the COVID vaccine going to need to be taken annually like the other virus shot?

they dont know that yet.  Antibodies have been found 6 months out and that is as far as anyone has gotten yet.

My guess is that vaccine everyone and within 6 months this thing is gone for good.

friendfromlowry

Wed, Dec 2, 2020 4:28 PM

Couple of the breweries around me are ramping their delivery system back up and just closed their taprooms Monday through Thursday. Wonder how much longer they can go on.