Covid-19 discussion, continued...

Automatik

Mon, Nov 23, 2020 9:52 AM

Fuck it, give me all 3.

jmog

Mon, Nov 23, 2020 10:54 AM
posted by kizer permanente

https://www.wkbn.com/news/coronavirus/its-the-moment-to-act-nearly-1000-cleveland-clinic-caregivers-out-due-to-coronavirus/?fbclid=IwAR149YfISay0oyEsMnVep2LeH4K0EyPPamKTTcINOkfdP9rhk8iX6jLOBcc

Cue QQ telling us everything is cool. 

Would be pertinent information to know how many of those 1000 were due to being positive vs how many are due to having to quarantine for 10-14 days due to contact tracing (coming in contact with someone who was positive or thought to be positive).

Not good news either way but would have been good relevant information.

QuakerOats

Mon, Nov 23, 2020 12:07 PM
posted by jmog

Would be pertinent information to know how many of those 1000 were due to being positive vs how many are due to having to quarantine for 10-14 days due to contact tracing (coming in contact with someone who was positive or thought to be positive).

Not good news either way but would have been good relevant information.

Yes ...context matters, GREATLY. 

They have 51,000 employees , so 1.9% being affected in an urban area is not really anything special.

kizer permanente

Mon, Nov 23, 2020 1:00 PM
posted by QuakerOats

They have 51,000 employees , so 1.9% being affected in an urban area is not really anything special.

Then take your own advice and apply context. Like how many of their 51,000 employees can work on covid floors and how many that can are part of the 1000 off sick right now.
Obviously to make a public address it's worse than "1.9% bEiNg AfFeCtEd Is NoT rEaLlY aNyThInG sPeCiAl".

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Mon, Nov 23, 2020 1:28 PM
posted by QuakerOats

Yes it is because they're hospital workers and probably got it from the same source. 

QuakerOats

Mon, Nov 23, 2020 1:45 PM

Then take your own advice and apply context. Like how many of their 51,000 employees can work on covid floors and how many that can are part of the 1000 off sick right now.
Obviously to make a public address it's worse than "1.9% bEiNg AfFeCtEd Is NoT rEaLlY aNyThInG sPeCiAl".

Their own spokesperson said it is not a real issue yet. 

That does not mean it couldn't be at some point, but when the panic promoters simply say that over 1,000 Cleveland Clinic employees are out due to covid it makes it sound like the end of the world, without the context.

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Mon, Nov 23, 2020 1:57 PM
posted by QuakerOats

Their own spokesperson said it is not a real issue yet. 

That does not mean it couldn't be at some point, but when the panic promoters simply say that over 1,000 Cleveland Clinic employees are out due to covid it makes it sound like the end of the world, without the context.

If you had a loved one at the Clinic, you'd be concerned. 

sportchampps

Mon, Nov 23, 2020 4:19 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

If you had a loved one at the Clinic, you'd be concerned. 

I’m going to say most work places have Atleast 2% of their workforce out because of covid. 

sportchampps

Mon, Nov 23, 2020 4:21 PM

My vaccine trial date was pushed back until the second week of December. Reading that the AZ one is only 70% effective I may just opt out and wait for the other vaccines. If it’s only 70% effective and I only have a 66% chance of getting it I’m not sure it’s worth the risk. 

kizer permanente

Mon, Nov 23, 2020 4:40 PM
posted by sportchampps

My vaccine trial date was pushed back until the second week of December. Reading that the AZ one is only 70% effective I may just opt out and wait for the other vaccines. If it’s only 70% effective and I only have a 66% chance of getting it I’m not sure it’s worth the risk. 

Nah....It depends how its dosed. 

When given a half dose then a full dose a month later it was 90% effective. When given 2 full doses it was only 62% effective,

sportchampps

Mon, Nov 23, 2020 4:42 PM

Hmm I wonder if they can tell me which of those 2 dose schedules I would get if it’s not thenplacebo

Ironman92

Administrator

Mon, Nov 23, 2020 5:25 PM

Ross County Health Dept trying to shut down all sports for the 8 local school districts but continuing school? Backlash is strong right now.

iclfan2

Reppin' the 330/216/843

Tue, Nov 24, 2020 9:49 AM

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Tue, Nov 24, 2020 10:15 AM

So, what does this number need to get up to, before people start to admit that masks are not going to do what they think it will do?   Again, masks help, but a lot of people act like it's the magic bullet until the vaccine.  BTW, as I mentioned before, Italy and France are surging in cases just like the US.

kizer permanente

Tue, Nov 24, 2020 11:32 AM

Is that 83% of people just saying they wear masks?  Bc a quick stroll thru public places appear no where close to 83%. I saw one idiot yesterday chewing on his mask like a baby and it’s pacifier. 

Ironman92

Administrator

Tue, Nov 24, 2020 11:43 AM

I think the 83% is real close

kizer permanente

Tue, Nov 24, 2020 11:59 AM
posted by Ironman92

I think the 83% is real close

I’d guess close to 50-60%. And out of those only another 50-60% wears it over their nose and mouth, not as a chin strap.  

Ironman92

Administrator

Tue, Nov 24, 2020 12:38 PM

I’d guess close to 50-60%. And out of those only another 50-60% wears it over their nose and mouth, not as a chin strap.  

Like in places or just outside about the town?

kizer permanente

Tue, Nov 24, 2020 12:43 PM
posted by Ironman92

Grocery stores mostly. Outside and around town I bet that number goes down to 20-25% tops. 

kizer permanente

Tue, Nov 24, 2020 12:45 PM
posted by Ironman92

I don’t go to Walmart anymore but when I did the few times people put their mask on when they went in then took it off soon as the got back into the aisles.  I mostly just goto Giant Eagle now.  I’d say more people have masks on than not, but also more people wear them wrong (under nose) than not too. 

Devils Advocate

Brudda o da bomber

Tue, Nov 24, 2020 1:00 PM

I guess I don’t know what people’s aversion is to wearing masks. I think most people will agree that that they offer “some” protection from airborn bacteria or virus.

Look at it like this: let’s say there is a  skanky hoe that you know sooner or later that u gonna bang. STD”s are going to range from crabs to herpes, to VD to full blown AIDS.  Or she might not give ya nothing. You have the option of hitting it rawdog or wearing a rubber. I guess it’s a matter of personal preference cause ‘Mercia

OSH

Kosh B'Gosh

Tue, Nov 24, 2020 1:56 PM

I live in Northern Kentucky, and as backwards as some are, I do not see tons of people without masks in any stores I have went to over the last several months. It may have been slow to begin the pandemic, but it's pretty common anymore.

Random times I do see someone without one, but it's not loads of people.

You do have places like this though:

https://www.facebook.com/BeansCafeAndBakery/posts/4556057861130971

gut

Tue, Nov 24, 2020 2:13 PM

Is that 83% of people just saying they wear masks? 

My guess is that's true when they go to the store and other places that require a mask.  Not so true at private gatherings.  A lot of businesses and gyms reported little to no events linked to them....so again there's a lot of anecdotal evidence that guidelines on time, distance and masks can be very effective when followed.

And masks don't give you 100% protection, either.  You still need to distance and then limit your time to a few hours.