Covid-19 discussion, continued...

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Thu, Oct 22, 2020 2:04 PM
posted by kizer permanente

We spend more on everything every year. That’s literally how inflation works. Why would education be immune to it? 

I think his point is that the results recede even as costs go up - including inflation.  BTW, inflation-adjusted costs of public education has increased exponentially over the past fifty years.  The myth that we defund schools regularly just doesn't add up.  And still, academic performance gets worse.  QO has a fair point there.

https://reason.org/commentary/inflation-adjusted-k-12-education-spending-per-student-has-increased-by-280-percent-since-1960/

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Thu, Oct 22, 2020 2:11 PM
posted by geeblock

my sis law works at a district in delaware county and they average 2 cases a day per school currently for the last few weeks

">

gut

Thu, Oct 22, 2020 2:15 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

I think his point is that the results recede even as costs go up - including inflation.  BTW, inflation-adjusted costs of public education has increased exponentially over the past fifty years.  The myth that we defund schools regularly just doesn't add up.  And still, academic performance gets worse.  QO has a fair point there.

I think we spend more per capita for K-12 than any country in the world.  It's a similar story with healthcare.  There are structural reasons for both, plus in the wealthiest country in the world pretty much everything costs more.

The problem really isn't spending in this country.  And if our spending were under control, taxes wouldn't be an issue, either.  But anyone who has worked in a company knows the more money you just throw at a problem, the more inefficiencies you create.  "More money" is rarely the best solution.  It's the path of least resistance, and doesn't promote the necessary deep-dive reviews of how things are actually being done.

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Thu, Oct 22, 2020 2:29 PM
posted by friendfromlowry

Hamilton county in danger of going from red to purple next week, which means severe spread and exposure. Only go out if necessary, and DeWine said he was unsure about further stay at home mandates. 

You wouldn't know it living in the county. What are the criteria for this system anyway?

friendfromlowry

Thu, Oct 22, 2020 2:35 PM
posted by justincredible

You wouldn't know it living in the county. What are the criteria for this system anyway?

I have no fucking idea anymore. There’s gotta be a better way to encourage wearing a mask than his color map. 

sportchampps

Thu, Oct 22, 2020 5:25 PM

I hope there’s no shut down. I can make 40% of my yearly income in November and December so I would like for the state to be open. 

Verbal Kint

Thu, Oct 22, 2020 9:32 PM

Is this true?  The rise for cost for K-12 school is for admin, not for the educators, seems counterproductive 

QuakerOats

Fri, Oct 23, 2020 2:54 PM
posted by kizer permanente

We spend more on everything every year. That’s literally how inflation works. Why would education be immune to it? 

Spending on education has far outpaced inflation .....same for health care/insurance ------ because BIG government is involved.

geeblock

Fri, Oct 23, 2020 4:32 PM

We have been teaching virtually, but we have been physically at the school while doing it. Of course I leave today at 235, and at 245 I get an email saying we are to work from home going forward and all my stuff is in my classroom. Such poor  timing on that decision 

iclfan2

Reppin' the 330/216/843

Sat, Oct 24, 2020 8:39 PM

Don’t know where to put this, but Cuomo against the Jews in NY is something. Police questioning how many people in a house? Fucked up (protests still ok tho)

Verbal Kint

Sat, Oct 24, 2020 10:00 PM

Saw that, sickening, but is this Cuomo or De Blasio?

iclfan2

Reppin' the 330/216/843

Sat, Oct 24, 2020 10:13 PM
posted by Verbal Kint

Saw that, sickening, but is this Cuomo or De Blasio?

One in the same? Lol but one wrote a book about Covid (which he lost) and dumbasses bought it. Still blows my mind. 

Verbal Kint

Sat, Oct 24, 2020 10:17 PM
posted by iclfan2

One in the same? Lol but one wrote a book about Covid (which he lost) and dumbasses bought it. Still blows my mind. 

Cuomo is the guy who sent the elders to die in nursing homes

DeBlasio is the guy who said NYC was open for business after the virus was spreading in his city?

Spock

Sun, Oct 25, 2020 7:51 AM

Cuomo is a POS, I dont understand how people like him are elected

queencitybuckeye

Sun, Oct 25, 2020 11:43 AM
posted by Spock

Cuomo is a POS, I dont understand how people like him are elected

Because anyone worth a shit as a human wants no part of these jobs.

Spock

Sun, Oct 25, 2020 3:45 PM
posted by queencitybuckeye

Because anyone worth a shit as a human wants no part of these jobs.

quite true

QuakerOats

Mon, Oct 26, 2020 12:08 PM

dr birx if we do everything perfectly 200k deaths thanks biden for endorsement

ptown_trojans_1

Mon, Oct 26, 2020 1:53 PM
posted by QuakerOats

dr birx if we do everything perfectly 200k deaths thanks biden for endorsement

LOL. We are over 200k and climbing...but great meme. 

ptown_trojans_1

Mon, Oct 26, 2020 1:53 PM

Can you guys get the virus under control in Ohio? I'm trying to move there in 2 months. 

I see cases and hospitizations are way up now. 

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Mon, Oct 26, 2020 2:03 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

Can you guys get the virus under control in Ohio? I'm trying to move there in 2 months. 

Contrary to popular opinion, no one has, is or will control a virus.  It'll go where it's going to go.  Measures to help slow its spread may have a short-term effect, but they will do nothing to prevent it from going as wide and deep into the population as it will ultimately go.  

friendfromlowry

Mon, Oct 26, 2020 3:10 PM

What a stupid meme. “Up to” is kind of important there. As in, when it’s all said and done, 200K was worst case scenario. Now we’re well past 200K and only getting worse. 

QuakerOats

Mon, Oct 26, 2020 3:15 PM
posted by friendfromlowry

What a stupid meme. “Up to” is kind of important there. As in, when it’s all said and done, 200K was worst case scenario. Now we’re well past 200K and only getting worse. 

2.2 million was worst case ..........thus we have saved nearly 2 million lives.  NO ONE could have done a better job, without permanently destroying the economy.

BRF

Mon, Oct 26, 2020 7:21 PM

It won't get under control until people take this new wave seriously.  It appears to me that most are, but still many are not.

Cleveland yesterday: Browns game......people packed into bars with no masking.

It's scary.

Spock

Mon, Oct 26, 2020 7:29 PM

Funny how masks and social distancing doesnt work

sportchampps

Tue, Oct 27, 2020 10:06 AM
posted by BRF

It won't get under control until people take this new wave seriously.  It appears to me that most are, but still many are not.

Cleveland yesterday: Browns game......people packed into bars with no masking.

It's scary.

Fauci says this is still the first wave