Covid-19 discussion, continued...

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Mon, Oct 19, 2020 3:29 PM
posted by justincredible

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/longevity/521686-the-coming-weeks-will-be-darkest-of-the-entire-pandemic

Bet they won't be.

This is about the 4th or 5th "the next week will be the worst" since this started.  One week is April was supposed to be, according the surgeon general "the worst week in the history of the country".  At this point, a lot of people respond "Oh really?  That's interesting.  Well, off to work."

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Mon, Oct 19, 2020 3:32 PM
posted by kizer permanente

But it’s the reason this can’t work during a pandemic. It’s also the reason flu gets out of control during flu season. Parents send their kids sick to school all of the time for this reason. They have to work and can’t do anything else about it. You don’t think parents are sending their kids to school with covid for the same reasons? 

This is a fair point.  I did not consider this.  As much as I would like to think parents would be responsible not to send their COVID child to school, I don't it would happen at every school. 

QuakerOats

Wed, Oct 21, 2020 3:37 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

Hell no. And if you're in favor of healthy people playing sports if they desire, it means you're pro-death and filled with hate and stupidity. 

I cannot imagine how miserable a person Christine Brennan is. 

Amen

...the goal is to get rid of football, because it involves some level of masculinity.

QuakerOats

Wed, Oct 21, 2020 3:41 PM

25% of high schoolers in los angelos county don’t graduate high school. So it seems like in person isn’t very great either huh? 

But let's give them more money, so we can purchase more functional illiteracy.

Makes perfect sense.

kizer permanente

Wed, Oct 21, 2020 4:26 PM
posted by QuakerOats

But let's give them more money, so we can purchase more functional illiteracy.

Makes perfect sense.

Someone doesn’t understand how school funding and performance ratings work  

friendfromlowry

Wed, Oct 21, 2020 11:28 PM

Hamilton county in danger of going from red to purple next week, which means severe spread and exposure. Only go out if necessary, and DeWine said he was unsure about further stay at home mandates. 

I don’t think anyone will listen to stay at home mandates. They can obviously close businesses but people will continue doing what they want with gatherings and such. 

jmog

Wed, Oct 21, 2020 11:40 PM
posted by like_that

This is a fair point.  I did not consider this.  As much as I would like to think parents would be responsible not to send their COVID child to school, I don't it would happen at every school. 

You can’t send a Covid kid to school right now.  

Schools are hypersensitive right now. A kid shows any symptoms they get sent home and can’t come back without a negative test.

Our district just had 1 kid in JH come down with jt and they shut the whole JH home for a week to “extra sanitize” the building and the kids that sat near the student in any class has to self quarantine for 14 days.

And each child in the school has to wear a mask at all times and they carry around their own plexiglass shields the size of poster boards.

So two masks and two plexiglass boards between the students and they STILL have the kids that sit next to the positive case stay home for 2 weeks.

I know for sure that in normal school years what Kizer said about kids getting sent to school with cold/flu definitely happens.

It’s really hard for that to happen this year at any school that is actually open and has kids in it. 

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Thu, Oct 22, 2020 2:04 AM
posted by jmog

Schools are hypersensitive right now. A kid shows any symptoms they get sent home and can’t come back without a negative test.

Our district just had 1 kid in JH come down with jt and they shut the whole JH home for a week to “extra sanitize” the building and the kids that sat near the student in any class has to self quarantine for 14 days.

And each child in the school has to wear a mask at all times and they carry around their own plexiglass shields the size of poster boards.

So two masks and two plexiglass boards between the students and they STILL have the kids that sit next to the positive case stay home for 2 weeks.

I know for sure that in normal school years what Kizer said about kids getting sent to school with cold/flu definitely happens.

It’s really hard for that to happen this year at any school that is actually open and has kids in it. 

It can  be nearly impossible, but he’s not wrong that there will be some piece of shit parents out there knowingly try to send their kids to school with COVID.  That’s probably the one good argument that made me pause, but overall imo schools should be opening up or the tax payer should be getting a refund.

kizer permanente

Thu, Oct 22, 2020 8:08 AM
posted by jmog

Eh I disagree. Good friends of ours sent their kid to school basically knowingly. She tested positive for covid earlier in the year in March. Her husband tested positive later in October. Their son threw up a couple times but had no fever. They took him to his doctor and he ordered him a test. They sent him to school knowing someone on the family is positive and he threw up but hadn’t had his test yet. It came back positive. His football team had to quarantine and forfeit their playoff game bc of being around him. People do dumb shit all the time. 

QuakerOats

Thu, Oct 22, 2020 9:31 AM

Someone doesn’t understand how school funding and performance ratings work  

Someone can't do a cost/benefit analysis.

kizer permanente

Thu, Oct 22, 2020 9:43 AM
posted by QuakerOats

Someone can't do a cost/benefit analysis.

Only 🤡 think they can apply a cost benefit analysis to education since most of the benefits are intangible and can’t be monetized. But I’m sure you knew that. 

Ironman92

Administrator

Thu, Oct 22, 2020 9:53 AM

My wife is the superintendent’s secretary and she just messaged me to bring my chrome book home.....her boss must have a strong feeling.

I hope DeWine doesn’t do it again. Wait a couple weeks. My school district has ZERO cases.

Edit: never mind just my wife’s premonition 🤦🏻‍♂️

iclfan2

Reppin' the 330/216/843

Thu, Oct 22, 2020 10:09 AM
posted by Ironman92

My wife is the superintendent’s secretary and she just messaged me to bring my chrome book home.....her boss must have a strong feeling.

I hope DeWine doesn’t do it again. Wait a couple weeks. My school district has ZERO cases.

Schools are the last thing they should close down. Locking down again would be dumb. It’ll only last until the lockdown is over then cases will rise again. 

geeblock

Thu, Oct 22, 2020 10:18 AM

my sis law works at a district in delaware county and they average 2 cases a day per school currently for the last few weeks

jmog

Thu, Oct 22, 2020 11:19 AM

Eh I disagree. Good friends of ours sent their kid to school basically knowingly. She tested positive for covid earlier in the year in March. Her husband tested positive later in October. Their son threw up a couple times but had no fever. They took him to his doctor and he ordered him a test. They sent him to school knowing someone on the family is positive and he threw up but hadn’t had his test yet. It came back positive. His football team had to quarantine and forfeit their playoff game bc of being around him. People do dumb shit all the time. 

So the kid is one of the extremely rare cases in the world (so far less than 20 documented) that have had COVID twice?

Not saying I don’t believe you,  but since everybody in the US that has had it twice so far (last I saw only 3?) was a national news story, but this kid isn’t?

Seems odd.  

Heretic

Son of the Sun

Thu, Oct 22, 2020 12:07 PM

Especially odd if you don't use reading comprehension to see that he was saying that the wife of the family had it in March, the husband got it this month and the kid subsequently got it.

kizer permanente

Thu, Oct 22, 2020 12:11 PM
posted by jmog

So the kid is one of the extremely rare cases in the world (so far less than 20 documented) that have had COVID twice?

Not saying I don’t believe you,  but since everybody in the US that has had it twice so far (last I saw only 3?) was a national news story, but this kid isn’t?

Seems odd.  

No his mom had it earlier in the year.  his dad got it recently and he got it from his dad  

Sorry I’m seeing how poorly it was worded now. It made sense to me obviously lol 

Mom was sick in March. She works at a hospital so it made sense. She was the only one in her family who got it in March. 

Then dad was sick recently and tested positive. Son started throwing up one night but never had a fever so they sent him to school. They took him to his doctor bc of the puking and the doctor ordered a test then. But they still sent him to school until he got his test results. It came back positive then they had to quarantine everyone he was in contact with. Which he plays football so that became a lot of people. 

jmog

Thu, Oct 22, 2020 1:16 PM
posted by Heretic

Especially odd if you don't use reading comprehension to see that he was saying that the wife of the family had it in March, the husband got it this month and the kid subsequently got it.

My bad, didn’t read it correctly. That’s on me.

jmog

Thu, Oct 22, 2020 1:17 PM

No his mom had it earlier in the year.  his dad got it recently and he got it from his dad  

Sorry I’m seeing how poorly it was worded now. It made sense to me obviously lol 

Mom was sick in March. She works at a hospital so it made sense. She was the only one in her family who got it in March. 

Then dad was sick recently and tested positive. Son started throwing up one night but never had a fever so they sent him to school. They took him to his doctor bc of the puking and the doctor ordered a test then. But they still sent him to school until he got his test results. It came back positive then they had to quarantine everyone he was in contact with. Which he plays football so that became a lot of people. 

Nah, not on you, I read it wrong the first time. My fault.

QuakerOats

Thu, Oct 22, 2020 1:36 PM

Only 🤡 think they can apply a cost benefit analysis to education since most of the benefits are intangible and can’t be monetized. But I’m sure you knew that. 

Gotcha.

We spend more on education every single year, and turn out more functional illiterates every single year.  Money is not the issue; the model is broken.  This is why so many people opt to effectively pay double in order to properly educate their children outside this broken system - yet another public sector monopoly disaster.

kizer permanente

Thu, Oct 22, 2020 1:47 PM
posted by QuakerOats

Gotcha.

We spend more on education every single year, and turn out more functional illiterates every single year.  Money is not the issue; the model is broken.  This is why so many people opt to effectively pay double in order to properly educate their children outside this broken system - yet another public sector monopoly disaster.

We spend more on everything every year. That’s literally how inflation works. Why would education be immune to it? 

geeblock

Thu, Oct 22, 2020 1:48 PM
posted by QuakerOats

Gotcha.

Are you talking about the police?