Covid-19 discussion, continued...

jmog

Thu, Aug 6, 2020 7:16 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

Another day over 1000 deaths and we are over 160k deaths. 

Or...

Deaths (and cases) are trending down once again.

Both yours and mine are true statements, which one actuall exemplifies what is really going on?

ptown_trojans_1

Thu, Aug 6, 2020 7:18 PM
posted by jmog

Or...

Deaths (and cases) are trending down once again.

Both yours and mine are true statements, which one actuall exemplifies what is really going on?

Both. 

Deaths, people in the hospital, and cases are down yes. Good news and I hope it continues to go down. 

However, we are still above 1000 deaths a day and over 160k in deaths. 

gut

Thu, Aug 6, 2020 7:27 PM

Both. 

Deaths, people in the hospital, and cases are down yes. Good news and I hope it continues to go down. 

I'm not real optimistic.  As soon as we re-open bars and restaurants everything will spike again.  Summer winding down might reduce it some, at least in the north/midwest.

It's just shocking how easily this spreads.  And looking at prisons where over 80% of the population got it, there's little (if any) natural immunity.

Fortunately, I'd guess treatments and therapeutics have significantly reduced that 0.5% mortality rate, maybe to something more inline with the flu.

gut

Thu, Aug 6, 2020 7:31 PM

I was a "little" off on the economic damage.  Q2 GDP shrunk by about $1.5T. 

If everyone in the US got it, a 0.5% mortality rate would be @ 1.7M deaths.  With similar fallout in Q3 we're running at about $2M+ already for every life saved.

Verbal Kint

Thu, Aug 6, 2020 7:55 PM

Both. 

I would have thought it would have been higher than half the number of deaths due to heart disease per day

Automatik

Thu, Aug 6, 2020 8:55 PM

That’s a really good point. 👏🏻

jmog

Thu, Aug 6, 2020 9:48 PM

Both. 

So the current situation, with everything trending down, is good news, so why not post the full story to show the good news rather than just “another day with over 1000 deaths and 160k total”.

friendfromlowry

Thu, Aug 6, 2020 9:51 PM

DeWine’s second test is negative, which is weird. Usually people will be negative initially and then positive later. 

The tests themselves are a joke. I wouldn’t trust the rapid tests at all. 

Verbal Kint

Fri, Aug 7, 2020 9:08 AM

Dewine should have made an appointment, then not taken the the test, then get a call later that his test was positive despite not taking the test to inflate the numbers

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Fri, Aug 7, 2020 10:09 AM

Pennsylvania decided to cancel all sports thru 2020. You have to assume they will extend it for the rest of the 2021 school year as well.  I feel bad for those kids. 

Edit: I guess it was a recommendation from the Governor.  The PIAA will make a final decision. 

QuakerOats

Fri, Aug 7, 2020 11:09 AM
posted by jmog

So the current situation, with everything trending down, is good news, so why not post the full story to show the good news rather than just “another day with over 1000 deaths and 160k total”.

Does not fit the leftist's narrative.

Automatik

Fri, Aug 7, 2020 12:14 PM

All NY schools opening. Good, keep the positive trend going.

iclfan2

Reppin' the 330/216/843

Sat, Aug 8, 2020 6:35 AM
posted by Automatik

All NY schools opening. Good, keep the positive trend going.

Whoops, all the Dems better change their opinions on opening schools quick! 

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Sat, Aug 8, 2020 9:44 AM
posted by iclfan2

Whoops, all the Dems better change their opinions on opening schools quick! 

Schumer already did. The media will follow.

Verbal Kint

Sat, Aug 8, 2020 2:09 PM

Is this fourth wave of virus worse than the first three?

Spock

Sat, Aug 8, 2020 5:36 PM

I feel like the virus hysteria is about over.

friendfromlowry

Sun, Aug 9, 2020 12:03 PM

Someone I went to college with was diagnosed a few weeks ago. He was on Facebook downplaying it , saying he was feeling better each day, felt worse with the flu in 2018 and said he’d be back weightlifting in no time. 

They’re withdrawing care on him today (taking off ventilator, will likely die soon thereafter). 

Spock

Sun, Aug 9, 2020 1:53 PM
posted by friendfromlowry

Someone I went to college with was diagnosed a few weeks ago. He was on Facebook downplaying it , saying he was feeling better each day, felt worse with the flu in 2018 and said he’d be back weightlifting in no time. 

They’re withdrawing care on him today (taking off ventilator, will likely die soon thereafter). 

Likely be alive if he was given hydroxychloriquine

jmog

Sun, Aug 9, 2020 3:32 PM
posted by Spock

Don’t be a dick.

SportsAndLady

Sun, Aug 9, 2020 4:43 PM
posted by Spock

You are less than garbage

queencitybuckeye

Sun, Aug 9, 2020 5:55 PM
posted by Spock

Damn that was a real asshole thing to say.  Not message board asshole, big time asshole.

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Sun, Aug 9, 2020 6:00 PM
posted by Spock

Yikes. Be better.

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Sun, Aug 9, 2020 6:00 PM
posted by friendfromlowry

Sorry to hear it. How old is he?

friendfromlowry

Sun, Aug 9, 2020 6:49 PM
posted by justincredible

Sorry to hear it. How old is he?

Early-mid 40s? And he was healthy as far as I know. He was really big into power lifting. Never would have guessed he’d get sick and not be able to recover.

Ironman92

Administrator

Sun, Aug 9, 2020 10:02 PM

I’ve not paid attention for over a week and it seems everything is getting canceled.....are cases, hospitalizations and deaths in the U.S. up?