2020 Presidential Election thread

Home Forums Politics

queencitybuckeye

Wed, Nov 4, 2020 10:22 AM

Not at all important, but I found it interesting that while I was watching there was no mention of the nationwide popular vote with Trump being ahead at the time. It was a very popular factiod that they showed every few minutes in 2016 with Hillary ahead.

Laley23

GOAT

Wed, Nov 4, 2020 10:27 AM
posted by queencitybuckeye

Not at all important, but I found it interesting that while I was watching there was no mention of the nationwide popular vote with Trump being ahead at the time. It was a very popular factiod that they showed every few minutes in 2016 with Hillary ahead.

CNN talked about it a ton. Well, John King did. When Trunp was leading and after California came in and gave Biden the lead. And every-time ended it with “But, that isn’t how we elect our president” lol.

QuakerOats

Wed, Nov 4, 2020 10:37 AM

Going to be difficult for Trump to win given the numbers and the few counties involved.  We are at a place this is not unexpected.

iclfan2

Reppin' the 330/216/843

Wed, Nov 4, 2020 10:45 AM
posted by fish82

Agreed. Besides Biden eking out the closest of wins, the GOP actually had a pretty damn good night top to bottom across the country. 

Yep.

BR1986FB

Wed, Nov 4, 2020 11:48 AM
posted by QuakerOats

Going to be difficult for Trump to win given the numbers and the few counties involved.  We are at a place this is not unexpected.

Not so fast. I think there's a good chance Fox screwed the pooch on their early call for Biden in AZ. Heard this morning all of the votes hadn't been counted and they were all coming back 2:1 in favor of Trump. If Trump gets those 11 EC votes and holds onto PA, GA & NC that should give him the win.

QuakerOats

Wed, Nov 4, 2020 11:58 AM

Trump can also win by hanging on to NC, GA, and PA, and then adding Nevada, which would land him right on the number:  270.

Heads would explode ...........all over again

CenterBHSFan

333 - I'm only half evil

Wed, Nov 4, 2020 12:14 PM

Doubt it.

gut

Wed, Nov 4, 2020 1:57 PM

20-30k votes each in 3 states could be the difference.

Easy to talk yourself out of the EC, but that's not actually what the difference was because all those other states narrowly went for one or the other, too.

gut

Wed, Nov 4, 2020 2:15 PM

Other than the polls being horribly wrong again (seriously, does anyone other Trafalgar even try to be right?), it was largely an incredibly unsurprising night.

If the results hold up, AR flipped (seemed a certainty at least one red-leaning state would go to Biden) and looks like Trump maybe did carry PA.  Which the polling was a lot tighter there, but MI and WI ended-up being surprisingly close.

And Nevada still looks in play - if Trump takes NV and PA he has 270 (assuming GA and NC hold up).

Pretty sure if Biden had gotten out of the basement more he would have won PA and NC and we'd know he's our next POTUS already.

gut

Wed, Nov 4, 2020 2:16 PM
posted by Verbal Kint

Michigan?

AR....just enough to make-up for PA for Biden.

Verbal Kint

Wed, Nov 4, 2020 2:31 PM
posted by gut

AR....just enough to make-up for PA for Biden.

You mean Arizona?

ts1227

Wed, Nov 4, 2020 2:34 PM
posted by gut

20-30k votes each in 3 states could be the difference.

Easy to talk yourself out of the EC, but that's not actually what the difference was because all those other states narrowly went for one or the other, too.

The next EC fun comes if everything holds as is now and you end up 270-268 Biden (which seems somewhat likely).

One faithless elector can send it to the House to decide, which would give it to Trump since it is voted on by state delegations, which he would have the majority.

This country will go off the damn rails 

BRF

Wed, Nov 4, 2020 3:04 PM

I wonder what the current price tag would be for a faithless elector?

Also, I was racking my brain trying to figure out where the missing electoral vote was in the Biden 270 projection. Then I ran into a little story about one vote not committed yet from Maine....... Maine being one of the two states that are not “all or none”. 

gut

Wed, Nov 4, 2020 3:07 PM

posted by BRF

Also, I was racking my brain trying to figure out where the missing electoral vote was in the Biden 270 projection. Then I ran into a little story about one vote not committed yet from Maine....... Maine being one of the two states that are not “all or none”.

I think that 1 vote has already been called for Trump.

Biden thinks NV and MI are done and their current margin could grow slightly.  That's 270.

gut

Wed, Nov 4, 2020 3:08 PM
posted by Verbal Kint

You mean Arizona?

Yeah, Alaska and Arizona always trip me up on their stupid abbreviations.

ts1227

Wed, Nov 4, 2020 3:15 PM
posted by BRF

Yeah Maine’s second district is what moves it from hypothetical 271 Biden to 270. Trump is ahead there with a bunch of rural votes left so it’s done (I think some have called it but not all). The other 3 Maine votes were called for Biden by all and are represented on the hypothetical 270-268 scenario

friendfromlowry

Wed, Nov 4, 2020 3:36 PM

538 saying Arizona - where Biden leads by 90K votes - still has 600K left to count. They’re supposedly releasing one batch of votes around 9pm and another after midnight tonight. Seems really awkward. Reminds me of a TV or radio show that would give away prizes after stringing you along. “Coming up in the hour our ultra sweepstakes giveaway, but first a word from our sponsors!”

gut

Wed, Nov 4, 2020 3:51 PM
posted by friendfromlowry

538 saying Arizona - where Biden leads by 90K votes - still has 600K left to count.

Transparency in counting is important, but if every tally dump is going to flip the result that's not good for the country.

ts1227

Wed, Nov 4, 2020 4:00 PM
posted by gut
Transparency in counting is important, but if every tally dump is going to flip the result that's not good for the country.

But what can you do about it this year? All the states are following their systems, it’s just the absentee process got overwhelmed by the volume (which should be a one off), so said process is more time consuming.

Since we managed to politicize the methods in which we vote (even though they’re all legal and existed without issue well before 2020), depending on what order shit goes through the machine creates the swings. 

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Wed, Nov 4, 2020 4:17 PM

CNN just called Michigan for Biden. They haven’t called Arizona or Nevada, which are both blue currently. Gonna be a long night. 

gut

Wed, Nov 4, 2020 4:23 PM

It would be madness if AZ flips red, and then GA goes blue.

And, LOL, the markets are like "cool, election is over don't really care who wins"

geeblock

Wed, Nov 4, 2020 4:24 PM

Let’s not forget the it was gop that didn’t want the votes counted early right? Now suing to not have them counted at all? 

gut

Wed, Nov 4, 2020 4:41 PM
posted by geeblock

Let’s not forget the it was gop that didn’t want the votes counted early right? Now suing to not have them counted at all? 

It sounds like they're suing to allow their poll watchers to be allowed to actually watch the counting.

geeblock

Wed, Nov 4, 2020 4:54 PM
posted by gut

It sounds like they're suing to allow their poll watchers to be allowed to actually watch the counting.

For now

geeblock

Wed, Nov 4, 2020 4:55 PM

They are suing in Philadelphia where they literally are live-streaming the opening of the ballots which is kinda funny even tho it is for another county