2020 Presidential Election thread

Home Forums Politics

gut

Fri, Oct 23, 2020 2:20 PM
posted by kizer permanente

Nuclear is cool and all but I don’t think anyone’s trying to deal with storing the waste. Kinda defeats being carbon efficient when we put radioactive waste in the ground?

If it's an existential crisis, then you're question is irrelevant.  "We have 10 years to save the planet!!!!!". 

But, like I said, anyone who actually bothers to look at the science and not swallow the agenda-driven pseudo science pushed by the left...there is no existential crisis.  In reality, the default assumption - which the science still can't reject - is that all the fossil fuels in the earth could only warm the planet 2-3 more degrees.  And not only is that not an existential crisis, it's arguably healthier for a greener planet.  All this talk about more & severe natural disasters...no evidence for that, either.

Every once in a while, the true agenda peaks through, and that's the 50-60 year old "overpopulation" argument.

QuakerOats

Fri, Oct 23, 2020 2:44 PM

So looks like Trump has a secret weapon for this election. He’s got new states voting for him.  He just told a reporter he’s leading in states that you don’t know about. 

Big, if true. 

Him 'leading' is what they don't know about ..... but of course some people on the left would think he meant there are 'states you don't know about'.

sweet Jesus

QuakerOats

Fri, Oct 23, 2020 2:47 PM
posted by gut

Trump kind of whiffed on that softball.  Because I thought I heard Biden say he wanted to be carbon neutral by 2025....which means, basically, almost no fossil fuels in 5 years.

I think solar has potential, but anyone who wants to talk carbon neutral without talking seriously about nuclear is simply pandering.  I keep telling people that's how you know the "existential crisis" is bullshit, because no on is pounding the table for more nuclear.

"2025" was just another early-onset gaffe - (sad).  Even AOC+3 could not damn us by 2025.

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Fri, Oct 23, 2020 2:56 PM

So looks like Trump has a secret weapon for this election. He’s got new states voting for him.  He just told a reporter he’s leading in states that you don’t know about. 

Big, if true. 

If you couldn't understand what he meant by that, you are below...

kizer permanente

Fri, Oct 23, 2020 4:17 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

If you couldn't understand what he meant by that, you are below...

:_(

Spock

Fri, Oct 23, 2020 5:23 PM
posted by justincredible

Obama did say there were 57 states, right? We could be on to something here...what is the deep state keeping from us?

The deep state is one of the 57

jmog

Fri, Oct 23, 2020 9:10 PM

What’s false about it? Your article you linked just says it’s less waste than most people think lol.  That doesn’t dispute what I said.

You first sentence literally said that “no one is trying to deal with storing the waste” which the article directly refuted in its first two “myths” debunking.

That’s how it is false. Did you read the article or just a couple sentences?

kizer permanente

Fri, Oct 23, 2020 9:15 PM
posted by jmog

You first sentence literally said that “no one is trying to deal with storing the waste” which the article directly refuted in its first two “myths” debunking.

That’s how it is false. Did you read the article or just a couple sentences?

I’m saying that’s why it’s not popular. That’s why you don’t see companies banging down the door to build nuclear power plants. It’s very costly to get rid of radioactive waste. It’s very costly to maintain nuclear equipment. something first energy has found out and has done a terrible job at and why they needed a bailout. It’s pretty simple to understand what I meant  

jmog

Fri, Oct 23, 2020 9:26 PM

I’m saying that’s why it’s not popular. That’s why you don’t see companies banging down the door to build nuclear power plants. It’s very costly to get rid of radioactive waste. It’s very costly to maintain nuclear equipment. something first energy has found out and has done a terrible job at and why they needed a bailout. It’s pretty simple to understand what I meant  

Again false.

Nuclear power, when considering operating and depreciated capital costs, are cheaper to run than fossil fuel power plants on a per kWh basis.

Nuclear plants aren’t built more for political reasons.

It’s the one thing the French government got/gets right.  

They are being built in every country that the politicians will allow it.

They are still being built, and often in said countries.

Do a little googling before replying maybe?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_power_by_country

jmog

Fri, Oct 23, 2020 9:32 PM

According to the wiki link above there are 54 new nuclear power plants currently being built around the world. That will be an 11% increase over how many currently exist.

Care to keep saying that “no one is banging down the door to build nuclear plants” or “too expensive”?

gut

Fri, Oct 23, 2020 9:34 PM
posted by jmog

According to the wiki link above there are 54 new nuclear power plants currently being built around the world. That will be an 11% increase over how many currently exist.

Care to keep saying that “no one is banging down the door to build nuclear plants” or “too expensive”?

But if I'm not mistaken, nuclear power as a % of total power consumption has been flat or down slightly from 20 years ago.

kizer permanente

Fri, Oct 23, 2020 9:36 PM

Sounds good man. We’re so lucky to have someone who knows everything about everything on this board. Someone so absolute in their knowledge too, that they can refute any point made bc they’re the resident expert. So lucky.

jmog

Fri, Oct 23, 2020 9:44 PM
posted by gut
But if I'm not mistaken, nuclear power as a % of total power consumption has been flat or down slightly from 20 years ago.

It has been in the US for sure. New nuclear plants go up but so does power usage so percentage doesn’t change.  It’s not being built in the US for political reasons faster, look at France though. 70% of their energy comes from nuclear.

jmog

Fri, Oct 23, 2020 9:46 PM

Sounds good man. We’re so lucky to have someone who knows everything about everything on this board. Someone so absolute in their knowledge too, that they can refute any point made bc they’re the resident expert. So lucky.

I have spent 20 years in the combustion research and energy industry. So yes, I do know what I am talking about with regards to this.

I know you hate to admit it, but it is ok to admit when you are wrong.

jmog

Sat, Oct 24, 2020 3:26 PM

So saying the full name of President Obama is now racist?

Come on geeblock, you’re smarter than that.

Heretic

Son of the Sun

Sat, Oct 24, 2020 5:39 PM
posted by jmog

Depends on context and how much benefit of the doubt re: context we're giving Mr. Birther Movement. I can remember 2008 JJs when all the older conservatives were typing his name with HUSSEIN in all caps like the dipshit drones most of those guys were in an attempt to play along with that whole "he done ain't one of us; he's one of them Mooslim guys who don't like our country" shit the Birthers were trying.

Fab4Runner

Tits McGee

Sat, Oct 24, 2020 6:54 PM

A birther using Barack Hussein Obama hmmm now why would he do that? I'm sure there was no reason! 

geeblock

Sat, Oct 24, 2020 7:33 PM
posted by jmog

Jmog has turned into the number 3 trump supporter outside of Spock and Qo .. it’s great to see 

jmog

Sun, Oct 25, 2020 12:28 AM
posted by geeblock

Jmog has turned into the number 3 trump supporter outside of Spock and Qo .. it’s great to see 

I can’t stand Trump, only thing I detest more than him is Bull shit, which I see a lot from those on this site with TDS.

Rotinaj

Sun, Oct 25, 2020 6:23 AM
posted by jmog

I can’t stand Trump, only thing I detest more than him is Bull shit, which I see a lot from those on this site with TDS.

Donald Trump is a shitty person and TERRIBLE leader. If pointing these things out over and over again when it comes to the President of the United States labels that person as someone with TDS then that's a bit crazy. Do some people go way overboard? Absolutely. I don't feel anyone on here does though.