Cleveland Cavalier 2017-2018 Season

Home Forums Sports

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Sun, May 6, 2018 5:43 PM
posted by friendfromlowry

Idk the rules on advancing the ball as it pertains to timeouts but if you look at the play by play after Anunoby makes the tying three pointer with eight seconds left it says Cavs call full timeout. 

Basically you have to call the timeout as soon as you gain possession. Whether it be a rebound or a made bucket. Can’t dribble or pass it and then call the TO to try and advance. 

BRF

Sun, May 6, 2018 5:45 PM
posted by BRF

With the time it took, it had to be a timeout. I'm gonna see about this. 

And, I'm back after a quick Google, first article paragraph one comes from USAToday:

"CLEVELAND – LeBron James’ epic game-winning shot began with Cleveland coach Ty Lue’s decision to take the ball out of bounds under the basket after a timeout instead of halfcourt with eight seconds remaining in the fourth quarter."

Did you all also note how Love was able to run the baseline?

Laley23

GOAT

Sun, May 6, 2018 9:02 PM

They called timeout, elected to not advance the ball. Lue wanted LeBron in open court coming up to be able to avoid double teams and get going toward basket faster.

BRF

Sun, May 6, 2018 9:17 PM
posted by Laley23

They called timeout, elected to not advance the ball. Lue wanted LeBron in open court coming up to be able to avoid double teams and get going toward basket faster.

Exactly. 

TY for helping to explain. 

ernest_t_bass

12th Son of the Lama

Sun, May 6, 2018 9:40 PM

Who needed that explained?

Laley23

GOAT

Sun, May 6, 2018 9:44 PM
posted by ernest_t_bass

Who needed that explained?

Lots of people, cause when do you ever see it by choice?

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Mon, May 7, 2018 7:05 AM

Hopefully the Cavs don't fuck around today and close this shit out.

BR1986FB

Mon, May 7, 2018 8:50 AM
posted by like_that

Hopefully the Cavs don't fuck around today and close this shit out.

Still hoping you win the bet.

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Mon, May 7, 2018 8:52 AM
posted by BR1986FB

Still hoping you win the bet.

Me too. 

ernest_t_bass

12th Son of the Lama

Mon, May 7, 2018 9:11 AM
posted by Laley23

Lots of people, cause when do you ever see it by choice?

When I heard Lue elected to take it on baseline, I figured the rule allowed it, and that half-court advancement was not mandatory by rule.  I guess I didn't understand what needed further explanation.  

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Mon, May 7, 2018 9:26 AM
posted by ernest_t_bass

When I heard Lue elected to take it on baseline, I figured the rule allowed it, and that half-court advancement was not mandatory by rule.  I guess I didn't understand what needed further explanation.  

I kept seeing differing accounts of what happened. Some things I was reading said just that they didn’t have a timeout. Some said they inbounded it after the bucket.  I didn’t see anything live, so I didn’t know they had called a TO after the bucket. I thought it was just an inbounds after a bucket.

Advancing the ball is an option a team can take, definitely not mandatory. In most cases, it’s the smart call. Lue made a call to not advance it and I can only imagine the outcry had Bron NOT made that shot. 

ernest_t_bass

12th Son of the Lama

Mon, May 7, 2018 9:35 AM
posted by wildcats20

imagine the outcry had Bron NOT made that shot. 

Coaching, in a nutshell.  Surprised Lue is getting so much credit.  Typically it's

winning = players

losing = coach

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Mon, May 7, 2018 9:39 AM
posted by ernest_t_bass

Coaching, in a nutshell.  Surprised Lue is getting so much credit.  Typically it's

winning = players

losing = coach

Definitely. 

I’ve seen some say there was no way Lue made the decision and it was all Bron. More just hating on Lue though. 

BR1986FB

Mon, May 7, 2018 9:46 AM

Whether Lebron makes that shot, or not, I'm pleased to see that in his "old age" he's actually willing to sack up and take that shot. Ten years ago he's deferring to someone else and doesn't want to be in that spot.

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Mon, May 7, 2018 10:31 AM
posted by wildcats20

Lue made a call to not advance it and I can only imagine the outcry had Bron NOT made that shot. 

If the Cavs pull it out in OT (I like their chances with Lebron), then it would be swept under the rug.  

posted by ernest_t_bass

winning = players

losing = coach

The ringer posted an article after game 2 about how Lue is running mental laps around Casey.  That was the headline at least.  I read it to see how this was actually possibly and the article can pretty much be summed up as 90% bashing Casey for being a system coach and not being comfortable to make adjustments in the playoffs and 10% pretty much saying Lue has no organization at all and it helps him in the playoffs, because he is unpredictable LOL.

I get what you're saying, but Lue definitely deserves criticism.  He does so much questionable shit, and there have been countless times where the Cavs look like absolute shit coming out of half time.  Not to mention there also have been countless times where piss poor end game management made the game much closer than it should be (pacers game 5, and this last game).  It has fucked over the Cavs in the past (game 3 vs Celtics last year for the most recent playoff example I can think of). 

Regardless if Lebron stays or not, I think Lue needs to go. 

posted by BR1986FB

Whether Lebron makes that shot, or not, I'm pleased to see that in his "old age" he's actually willing to sack up and take that shot. Ten years ago he's deferring to someone else and doesn't want to be in that spot.

Ever since that game 6 with the heat vs the Celtics, Lebron has been very comfortable being the man.  Coincidentally, that was the same season where Kobe called him out at the ASG for not taking the last shot.  I always knew Lebron had it in him though.  He showed us he was capable of taking the burden during game 5 of the 2007 ECF. 

sportswizuhrd

Mon, May 7, 2018 2:30 PM

IMO, it was Drew or LeBron that made the call of not advancing the ball and Lue rolled with it. 

QuakerOats

Mon, May 7, 2018 3:54 PM

Let's go with the Cavs, 106 - 100.

vball10set

paying it forward

Mon, May 7, 2018 9:44 PM

lol..”the Raptors have run into LaBrontosaurus”

Ironman92

Administrator

Mon, May 7, 2018 9:46 PM

C’mon...keep adding on and get LeBron a stress free win where he doesn’t have to be GOAT

....but we all know that’s not in the Cavs arsenal 

ernest_t_bass

12th Son of the Lama

Mon, May 7, 2018 10:15 PM

22 point lead.  Yeah, I'm calling double OT.

superman

Mon, May 7, 2018 10:15 PM

Has a 1 seed ever been swept in the conference semi's?

Ironman92

Administrator

Mon, May 7, 2018 10:22 PM
posted by superman

Decent question. I’ll guess once

Mulva

Mon, May 7, 2018 10:41 PM
posted by superman

Hasn’t happened at least since the playoffs expanded to 16 teams. A couple lost in 5, most recently Memphis over OKC in 2013.

iclfan2

Reppin' the 330/216/843

Mon, May 7, 2018 10:42 PM

Pretty bad foul there by Derozan