Harold Baines?

Nerds are going berserk 

I say Jerry Reinsdorf (committee member) got him in

Verbal Kint

Sun, Dec 9, 2018 9:38 PM
posted by Ironman92

Nerds are going berserk 

I say Jerry Reinsdorf (committee member) got him in

I had to look up his stats to see if I missed something, because the eye test was that he was not HOF.

Why the hate for Dale Murphy?

Ironman92

Administrator

Sun, Dec 9, 2018 9:54 PM
posted by Verbal Kint

I had to look up his stats to see if I missed something, because the eye test was that he was not HOF.

Why the hate for Dale Murphy?

No clue...Murphy was the Paul Goldschmidt of my growing up years. Seemed like a guy that was odd within the clubhouse and his career ended very quickly.

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Sun, Dec 9, 2018 10:34 PM

Lou Piniella not getting in is such a joke.  The BBWAA really can go fuck themselves. 

Heretic

Son of the Sun

Mon, Dec 10, 2018 5:56 PM
posted by Ironman92

Nerds are going berserk

Or anyone with a tangible amount of baseball knowledge. Unless the Hall of Fame has slightly shifted gears to "guys who were around a long time and weren't busted for PEDs".

Ironman92

Administrator

Mon, Dec 10, 2018 6:12 PM
posted by Heretic

Or anyone with a tangible amount of baseball knowledge. Unless the Hall of Fame has slightly shifted gears to "guys who were around a long time and weren't busted for PEDs".

I just think it’s funny because those same guys cream their pants when Joey Votto walks with 2 outs and no one on but now have a DH with an .820 OPS in the HOF

No eligible non-steroid player has more career hits without being in...mix in 384 HR, 489 doubles. I know he’s not a HOFer but also don’t care much.

But in truth...look at the committee. He was connected to several of them. He got in because of who was on the committee.

I don’t care about the baseball writers who vote only 6% at best for him because those are the same fuckers who didn’t unanimously vote in Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Greg Maddux. Leaving them off a ballot is dumber than putting Baines on one.

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Mon, Dec 10, 2018 9:05 PM

Billy Hamilton to KC.

Ironman92

Administrator

Mon, Dec 10, 2018 9:17 PM
posted by justincredible

Billy Hamilton to KC.

Pls start a separate thread for teh big potential googlz

SportsAndLady

Tue, Jan 22, 2019 8:26 PM

Mariano Rivera first ever unanimous hall of famer. More people have walked on the moon (12) than Rivera has given up earned runs in the postseason (11). 

Laley23

GOAT

Tue, Jan 22, 2019 11:12 PM
posted by SportsAndLady

Mariano Rivera first ever unanimous hall of famer. More people have walked on the moon (12) than Rivera has given up earned runs in the postseason (11). 

Big deal. That’s the same amount Jose Mesa gave up in his Tribe postseason career. Don’t hear us clamoring for him to be in the HOF.

/sarcasm

Verbal Kint

Wed, Feb 6, 2019 10:58 AM

Step one: Universal DH

Heretic

Son of the Sun

Wed, Feb 6, 2019 3:15 PM
posted by Verbal Kint

Step one: Universal DH

That, I dislike. Not a huge fan of the DH, overall, but definitely not a fan of potentially shoehorning in a rule without giving NL teams a substantial amount of time to revamp their rosters, as there aren't many of them with those "big bat, suck ass at fielding" guys on hand. But I do like the concept of making it so that relievers have to pitch to three batters. Some games just SUCK because of over-thinking managers making changes on a batter-by-batter basis, so it takes 30 minutes to get through a reasonably routine half-inning. If you can't be counted on to get multiple outs on a reasonably consistent basis, you don't need to be in the bigs.

BRF

Wed, Feb 6, 2019 3:55 PM
But I do like the concept of making it so that relievers have to pitch to three batters. Some games just SUCK because of over-thinking managers making changes on a batter-by-batter basis, so it takes 30 minutes to get through a reasonably routine half-inning. If you can't be counted on to get multiple outs on a reasonably consistent basis, you don't need to be in the bigs.

That would be super interesting. I would be for this, even two batters. 

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Wed, Feb 6, 2019 3:59 PM

Give me the DH in the NL yesterday. I'm kinda excited that it could be a reality as early as next season.

Verbal Kint

Wed, Feb 6, 2019 5:27 PM

Not sure on 3 batter minimum, maybe one exception per game.

I think there needs to be a NE/MW/South/Divisional set up.  Of course that means adding two teams (after relocating a few of them; A's, Rays).

Better rivalries and reduce travel.

Ironman92

Administrator

Wed, Feb 6, 2019 7:18 PM

3 batter minimum ...nah

thavoice

Wed, Feb 6, 2019 8:26 PM
posted by Ironman92

3 batter minimum ...nah

I concur.  Not a fan.

It does get aggravating though to see so many one and done pitchers, especially in a seemingly meanlingless 7th inning in June with a 4 run lead.

As fan going to games, I dont mind games that are long. On TV.....yeah, it can suck.  

I pretty much wont turn many games on until the 7th inning or later and if it isnt close, wont even bother anymore.

Laley23

GOAT

Thu, Feb 7, 2019 10:27 AM

Love the 3 batter minimum, but managers should get 1 exception starting in the 7th inning.

GOONx19

An exceptional poster.

Fri, Feb 8, 2019 7:16 AM

I would expect the number of "minor injuries" to increase as a way to subvert that type of rule. There's no way they could make a pitcher stay in there if he said his arm felt funny.

Verbal Kint

Fri, Feb 8, 2019 9:09 AM
posted by GOONx19

I would expect the number of "minor injuries" to increase as a way to subvert that type of rule. There's no way they could make a pitcher stay in there if he said his arm felt funny.

I think a mandatory trip to the injury list follows facing less than 3 batters

mhs95_06

Sun, Feb 10, 2019 7:24 PM
posted by GOONx19

If an injury, they just give up IBB until the 3 batter requirement is fulfilled.  I'm not if favor of a DH for pitchers, they can only be hit for by a pinch hitter.  But I am in favor of a designated defensive player and a designated hitter in his spot in the line-up, and the DF could pinch run in 5 of the 9 innings and each extra inning.  This would allow us to enjoy the great fielding and baserunning skills of those that are hitting challenged.  After Sept. 1st you can have as many as you want on the roster, but only 22 are allowed on the line-up card for each game.

Ironman92

Administrator

Sun, Feb 10, 2019 10:11 PM

This makes me happy 71,76,77,75

vball10set

paying it forward

Wed, Feb 20, 2019 10:07 AM

$300million...10 years...good God...

SportsAndLady

Thu, Feb 28, 2019 4:16 PM

Harper to the Phillies 

13 years