2017 NFL chatter, continued...

Home Forums Sports

Ironman92

Administrator

Mon, Dec 18, 2017 11:38 PM

All the set NFC playoff teams will be pulling for the Falcons next week and all others in contention pulling for Falcons

Huge game

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Tue, Dec 19, 2017 2:11 AM
posted by Ironman92

All the set NFC playoff teams will be pulling for the Falcons next week and all others in contention pulling for Falcons

Huge game

Dallas needed 2 losses by Atlanta, New Orleans, or Seattle if I'm not mistaken. 

I doubt it's gonna happen for Dallas...but with Zeke back this week, I think they could have made a run. 

thavoice

Tue, Dec 19, 2017 11:43 AM

"Someday we 'll figure out a way to be a those guys"

-Lou Brown

thavoice

Tue, Dec 19, 2017 12:13 PM

As for the game.

It was an absolutely fantastic game.

Do I believe it is a TD?  Yes.

Was it a TD by rule?   No so I cannot complain about the call.

So they did make the right call.

Ben made two bad plays the next to snaps that ultimately lost the game. Cannot single Gronk and expect it to end well.

It was a critical game if they wanted to get to the SB.  The NFC wins it.  without home field they have zero chance.

Come playoff time you want to be playing your best and healthy to your stars.   Steelers play down to their competition and they finish with Texans and browns and I expect one loss.  With AB out and not 100% we all know how this story ends.

MAYBE one more year left in the window unless LB leaves. Have to do what it takes to replace Shazier.

Commander of Awesome

Senior Pwner

Tue, Dec 19, 2017 8:09 PM

Oh STFU

4m4 minutes ago

Steelers lead NFL with eight Pro Bowlers -- Antonio Brown, Ben Roethlisberger, Le'Veon Bell, Chris Boswell, Ryan Shazier, Alejandro Villanueva, David DeCastro, Maurkice Pouncey. Cam Hayward, with 10 sacks, easily their biggest snub.

Ironman92

Administrator

Wed, Dec 20, 2017 9:22 AM
posted by Commander of Awesome

Oh STFU

4m4 minutes ago

Steelers lead NFL with eight Pro Bowlers -- Antonio Brown, Ben Roethlisberger, Le'Veon Bell, Chris Boswell, Ryan Shazier, Alejandro Villanueva, David DeCastro, Maurkice Pouncey. Cam Hayward, with 10 sacks, easily their biggest snub.

Very surprised how good Boswell has been. Tucker should always be the Pro Bowl guy though.

Villanueva I’m surprised a bit but he has improved a good bit. Hayward more deserving but positional depth maybe better around the league.

SportsAndLady

Wed, Dec 20, 2017 9:30 AM
posted by Commander of Awesome

Oh STFU

4m4 minutes ago

So sick of the damn Steelers. Boohoo one of your players got snubbed for the pro bowl. Boohoo a bad rule fucked you over. National media guys are basically crying for the Steelers right now on all of these “atrocities” for the Steelers. I mean, they’re literally talking about changing a rule because it boned over the Steelers. Lol

How about the national media talk about roethlisberger throwing an INT. That’s what really lost the game for the Steelers, not a correct interpretation of a rule that went against them. 

Hope NE blows them out in the playoffs. 

Automatik

Wed, Dec 20, 2017 9:52 AM

That catch rule sucks. 

BR1986FB

Wed, Dec 20, 2017 9:59 AM
posted by Automatik

That catch rule sucks. 

It needed changed long before what happened this past weekend. It's screwed over more than a few teams/players (Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, Dez Bryant) so the Steelers aren't the sole beneficiary of this dumb rule (not that you've said that).

Automatik

Wed, Dec 20, 2017 10:06 AM

I knew it was getting overturned as soon as they showed the first slow mo replay.  I prefer how it used to be, specifcically when going to the endzone.....have posession, ball crosses goal line, touchdown. 

BR1986FB

Wed, Dec 20, 2017 10:13 AM

At some point, I think they will put chips/sensors in the ball that will set off some kind of detector once the ball breaks the plane of the goal line.

iclfan2

Reppin' the 330/216/843

Wed, Dec 20, 2017 10:35 AM
posted by Automatik

I knew it was getting overturned as soon as they showed the first slow mo replay.  I prefer how it used to be, specifcically when going to the endzone.....have posession, ball crosses goal line, touchdown. 

My issue with the rule aside, how could they definitively say that the ball hit the ground and that his hand wasn’t under it when it bobbled? To me it didn’t look 100% sure that his arm wasn’t under it (I also didn’t watch it 100 times). 

Iliketurtles

Wed, Dec 20, 2017 10:39 AM
posted by wildcats20

Dallas needed 2 losses by Atlanta, New Orleans, or Seattle if I'm not mistaken. 

I doubt it's gonna happen for Dallas...but with Zeke back this week, I think they could have made a run. 

Cowboys need to win out and need 2 losses from Atlanta, New Orleans, or Carolina. The Falcons are the easier won to lose both as they play New Orleans and Carolina. While New Orleans and Carolina other game is against Tampa Bay. 

Ironman92

Administrator

Wed, Dec 20, 2017 10:40 AM

Zero problem with the call. Wasn’t even mad at home. I’ve seen it 30x over 5 years. It’s the rule. It needs looked at I feel to see if they can improve it.

Ironman92

Administrator

Wed, Dec 20, 2017 10:44 AM
posted by iclfan2

My issue with the rule aside, how could they definitively say that the ball hit the ground and that his hand wasn’t under it when it bobbled? To me it didn’t look 100% sure that his arm wasn’t under it (I also didn’t watch it 100 times). 

This is a replay issue of mine. I thought to overturn you can’t assume anything and must see clear visual evidence...I’m not even speaking of Steelers game. This happens a decent bit. It also amazes me how sometimes they don’t have good camera angles, especially on the goal line. How is that possible?

It has room room for improvement.

as for Steelers game....single covering Gronk, not doing what was needed for first downs as to not give ball back and then Ben’s forced pass to the last main receiver ended it.

Heretic

Son of the Sun

Wed, Dec 20, 2017 10:53 AM
posted by SportsAndLady

So sick of the damn Steelers. Boohoo one of your players got snubbed for the pro bowl. Boohoo a bad rule fucked you over. National media guys are basically crying for the Steelers right now on all of these “atrocities” for the Steelers. I mean, they’re literally talking about changing a rule because it boned over the Steelers. Lol

How about the national media talk about roethlisberger throwing an INT. That’s what really lost the game for the Steelers, not a correct interpretation of a rule that went against them. 

Hope NE blows them out in the playoffs. 

Enjoy your continued efforts to win a game, bruh!

BR1986FB

Wed, Dec 20, 2017 11:06 AM
posted by Ironman92

as for Steelers game....single covering Gronk, not doing what was needed for first downs as to not give ball back and then Ben’s forced pass to the last main receiver ended it.

Roethlisberger needed to sack up in his interview after the game. Instead of passive/aggressively throwing the sidelines under the bus he needed to man up and say he threw a shitty pass. If he didn't feel he could fit the ball into that window he should've just "clocked it" like he said he thought they were going to.

And not that you asked this but I think the top two teams in the AFC are actually NE & Jacksonville. If Pittsburgh plays JAX again, JAX will likely punch them in the mouth (again) like they did the first time. Jacksonville is the "physical" that Pittsburgh used to be. Bortles' play is the only X-Factor in that game but I think JAX can still beat Pittsburgh with defense and their running game.

thavoice

Wed, Dec 20, 2017 11:39 AM
posted by Ironman92

Zero problem with the call. Wasn’t even mad at home. I’ve seen it 30x over 5 years. It’s the rule. It needs looked at I feel to see if they can improve it.

Agreed.  Knew it would get overturned.  BR needed to throw it away and also on second down he should not have thrown it to a guy who w8ild not score or get out of bounds.  

As for the pro bowl....I'd rather see our guys get snubbed and not make it.   Cannot use it to negotiatemin a contract,  Cannot get hurt in the game and maybe fuels them foe the next season.

Steelers run the real risk of not even getting a bye.   I see at least one loss in the last two weeks.

thavoice

Wed, Dec 20, 2017 11:41 AM
posted by BR1986FB

Roethlisberger needed to sack up in his interview after the game. Instead of passive/aggressively throwing the sidelines under the bus he needed to man up and say he threw a shitty pass. If he didn't feel he could fit the ball into that window he should've just "clocked it" like he said he thought they were going to.

And not that you asked this but I think the top two teams in the AFC are actually NE & Jacksonville. If Pittsburgh plays JAX again, JAX will likely punch them in the mouth (again) like they did the first time. Jacksonville is the "physical" that Pittsburgh used to be. Bortles' play is the only X-Factor in that game but I think JAX can still beat Pittsburgh with defense and their running game.

Maybe I misunderstood his comments.   I took it as the sideline did call in to clock it and he decided to do that play....Tomlin even said he had no problem with BR doing the play......but I bet he regrets the throw. he just cannot throw that ball.  No.  Way.  

BR1986FB

Wed, Dec 20, 2017 11:50 AM
posted by thavoice

Maybe I misunderstood his comments.   I took it as the sideline did call in to clock it and he decided to do that play....Tomlin even said he had no problem with BR doing the play......but I bet he regrets the throw. he just cannot throw that ball.  No.  Way.  

From the interview I heard, with Roethlisberger, he said that he (Roethlisberger) thought they were going to "clock it" and the sidelines said "no, run a play, run a play" because it wou;d've been 4th down and they wouldn't have another chance at the end zone to score the game winner. Roethlisberger said their was confusion and everyone was prepared for th spike, then (I think) it was Eli Rogers (?) who ran a slant and Roethlisberger tried to force it in there. Essentially, it sounded like Roethlisberger was saying "was just doing what I was told." He did man up in saying he needed to throw a better pass but he should've also seen that the window was pretty small and completing that was dicey. As the play unfolded, I could tell they were going to try to fake spike it but it just looked like a clusterf#ck from the get go.

Automatik

Wed, Dec 20, 2017 11:55 AM
posted by BR1986FB

At some point, I think they will put chips/sensors in the ball that will set off some kind of detector once the ball breaks the plane of the goal line.

It wasn't really in question weather it crossed or not, it's about maintaining control as you go to the ground.

A player is considered to be going to the ground if he does not remain upright long enough to demonstrate that he is clearly a runner. If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball until after his initial contact with the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regain control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete.

At every other level, you have possession, ball crosses line, it's 6.

As for the pass at the end. Ballsy call, but shitty play. I would have probably just kicked it and kept playing.

BR1986FB

Wed, Dec 20, 2017 12:05 PM
posted by Automatik

It wasn't really in question weather it crossed or not, it's about maintaining control as you go to the ground.

Oh, I know. Was just talking out loud to myself. My comments were more in reference to a few years ago when Roethlisberger scored and it was controversial as to whether he broke the plane. I know, random...but I think they will institute technology like I mentioned in the future.

SportsAndLady

Wed, Dec 20, 2017 12:11 PM
posted by Heretic

Enjoy your continued efforts to win a game, bruh!

Ahh classic steeler fan comeback. Really think I’m rattled by the browns? Lol they suck. 

Automatik

Wed, Dec 20, 2017 12:13 PM

Not the Browns, Steelers got you rattled that is for sure. BOOHOO!!

BR1986FB

Wed, Dec 20, 2017 12:17 PM
posted by Automatik

Not the Browns, Steelers got you rattled that is for sure. BOOHOO!!

Actually, for most Browns fans, we really have no issue with the Steelers, as players. Roethlisberger is a POS but Bell & Antonio Brown are excellent players. It's the white trash/hillbilly NE Ohio bandwagon fans we can't stand. The farther you get away from the Burgh, the trashier the frontrunning fans. Pittsburgh "natives", for the most part, have been pretty cool to me. Now I will say they are stuck in an 80's time warp with their big hair & mullets.