2017 NFL chatter, continued...

Home Forums Sports

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Sun, Dec 17, 2017 3:00 PM

Blake Bortles is looking like a legitimate NFL QB at just the right time for the Jags. If he keeps this up they'll be a tough team to beat with their D.

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Sun, Dec 17, 2017 3:05 PM

The Bills are looking good today. They'll be in the market for a QB come draft time so I'm hoping they win out and make the playoffs. Put a big dent in their draft capital.

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Sun, Dec 17, 2017 3:05 PM

Petty was finally allowed to go deep and dropped a nice 38 yard bomb into the hands of Elijah McGuire.

Ironman92

Administrator

Sun, Dec 17, 2017 7:58 PM

Tennessee falling apart at bad time. AFC WC is a giant cluster

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Sun, Dec 17, 2017 8:00 PM

Panthers will be up for sale, now that the creepy ass allegations have come out against the current owner. 

friendfromlowry

Sun, Dec 17, 2017 8:21 PM

I say this jokingly Ironman but you’re surprisingly calm when your team loses a big game they should have won.

ts1227

Sun, Dec 17, 2017 8:36 PM
posted by wildcats20

Panthers will be up for sale, now that the creepy ass allegations have come out against the current owner. 

He has been a racist shitbag forever, this additional stuff wasn’t exactly surprising 

Ironman92

Administrator

Sun, Dec 17, 2017 8:38 PM
posted by friendfromlowry

I say this jokingly Ironman but you’re surprisingly calm when your team loses a big game they should have won.

By rule he fumbled. I truly expected a loss. That must help lol. AB going down pretty well ruined my day. I know they win a lot but hard to enjoy during the games for sure.

Been concerned about my daughter at the airport helped steal my game rage. We were not watching a lot and trying to communicate with airport/airlines and I finally got all the answers we could and sat down to watch with 7:30 left and Pats driving but down 8. My loss expectancy never waned...at any point.

I will give you this...early first half when I watched and Bell ran on 1st down...Steelers punted, when Ben passed on 1st down....5 first downs including a TD. As I came back and Steelers needed first downs to not give ball back....ran Bell on 1st with all 11 on defense knowing it. Play action to TE = 1st down

A caught reception runs as much clock as a definite run play....only one has big % to actually work. Patriots would’ve passed there.

Oh well. It did definitely crush me the way it ended but I wasn’t enraged...just crushed.

mhs95_06

Sun, Dec 17, 2017 9:48 PM

If you read the NFL rulebook, it was not a catch (again, even if the rule is stupid). From Rule 8, Section 1, Article 3, Item 1 in the NFL rulebook, which explicitly lays out the situation at hand:

Item 1. Player Going to the Ground. A player is considered to be going to the ground if he does not remain upright long enough to demonstrate that he is clearly a runner. If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball until after his initial contact with the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete.

So I infer that if he must maintain control thru the ground with or without contact by an opponent, it is legal to hit him as he goes to the ground to try to strip the ball out if it gets dislodged by either the ground or the opponent as he goes to the ground and furthmore it is legal if the ball becomes dislodged as he is going to the ground it is legal to continue to try to keeping from regaining control before the ball hits the ground.

Now that is for on the field or the endzone.  But what about on a sideline play where the receiver is going OB but appears to have a solid grasp on it, with both feet inbounds, then touches the ground OB and then the ball comes loose before he goes to the ground, as he goes to the ground, or after the ball comes loose before he hits the ground or as he goes to the ground.  Is it incomplete as soon as he bobbles it or does he have a chance to regain control for the completion by regaining control before the ball hits the ground?  Now what about contact with someone other than a player who was on the field for the play, on his team or the opponent, or a coach or someone else on the sidelines, whether by accident or on purpose?  I'm thinking it is different on the sideline in that as soon as you bobble it, it is incomplete, whether it is at the hand of a defender or anyone or thing else.

friendfromlowry

Sun, Dec 17, 2017 9:58 PM
posted by Ironman92

By rule he fumbled. I truly expected a loss. That must help lol. AB going down pretty well ruined my day. I know they win a lot but hard to enjoy during the games for sure.

Been concerned about my daughter at the airport helped steal my game rage. We were not watching a lot and trying to communicate with airport/airlines and I finally got all the answers we could and sat down to watch with 7:30 left and Pats driving but down 8. My loss expectancy never waned...at any point.

I will give you this...early first half when I watched and Bell ran on 1st down...Steelers punted, when Ben passed on 1st down....5 first downs including a TD. As I came back and Steelers needed first downs to not give ball back....ran Bell on 1st with all 11 on defense knowing it. Play action to TE = 1st down

A caught reception runs as much clock as a definite run play....only one has big % to actually work. Patriots would’ve passed there.

Oh well. It did definitely crush me the way it ended but I wasn’t enraged...just crushed.

Hope it all works out for you and your daughter. Except the Steelers. They can fuck off. 

friendfromlowry

Sun, Dec 17, 2017 10:05 PM

Kind of off-topic rant but one of the Bengals beatwriters I follow on Twitter posted a little tangent about how classless the Steelers are after the TD celebration mocking the Burfict hit. I'm so sick of hearing how classless the Steelers. Who fucking cares? They win. Winning cancels out the small stupid shit. If the Bengals won then no one would care about Burfict, Pacman, Mixon, etc. Who's the most classy team in the NFL? Will they win an award for it at the end of the season?

superman

Sun, Dec 17, 2017 10:19 PM

Kind of off-topic rant but one of the Bengals beatwriters I follow on Twitter posted a little tangent about how classless the Steelers are after the TD celebration mocking the Burfict hit. I'm so sick of hearing how classless the Steelers. Who fucking cares? They win. Winning cancels out the small stupid shit. If the Bengals won then no one would care about Burfict, Pacman, Mixon, etc. Who's the most classy team in the NFL? Will they win an award for it at the end of the season?

You're a moron.  The Bengals are classless and so are the steelers.  Hopefully the culture changes in the Nati with Marvin leaving.  

friendfromlowry

Sun, Dec 17, 2017 10:35 PM
posted by superman

You're a moron.  The Bengals are classless and so are the steelers.  Hopefully the culture changes in the Nati with Marvin leaving.  

Where did I say the Bengals weren’t classless? Difference is Pittsburgh wins. Not sure how that makes me a moron but reading was never your strongest. 

superman

Sun, Dec 17, 2017 10:54 PM

Where did I say the Bengals weren’t classless? Difference is Pittsburgh wins. Not sure how that makes me a moron but reading was never your strongest. 

You said it didn't matter if teams were classless if they win.  I wouldn't expect integrity from a duke fan so no surprise.  

Ironman92

Administrator

Sun, Dec 17, 2017 11:11 PM

So Russell Wilson out of MVP talk...AB done for regular season.

Brady front runner (though we saw today the importance of Gronk)

LeVeon Bell going to surpass 2000 yards barring injury. 1215 rush yards and over 80 receptions too

Todd Gurley

Case Keenum with a late start but rocketing up the charts...not sure he can win it but he’s been outstanding

Ironman92

Administrator

Sun, Dec 17, 2017 11:25 PM

1st down by smallest margin ever

Used a folded over card to see...crazy, not to mention gigantic. Loser is out of playoffs for pretty much all purposes

SportsAndLady

Sun, Dec 17, 2017 11:39 PM

Thought the raiders got boned on that paper measurement

and on the kick return their guy got completely shoved and no call (actually they got called for a penalty)

Ironman92

Administrator

Sun, Dec 17, 2017 11:41 PM
posted by SportsAndLady

Thought the raiders got boned on that paper measurement

and on the kick return their guy got completely shoved and no call (actually they got called for a penalty)

But on 4th and 10 Cowboys rookie QB goes full tard and gives them a 55 yard penalty. Nothing can make me understand cornerbacks doing that outside of a guaranteed TD.....he had zero reason to do that. Season kinda on the line too

Ironman92

Administrator

Sun, Dec 17, 2017 11:44 PM

I think he stepped OB first

Ironman92

Administrator

Sun, Dec 17, 2017 11:46 PM

IF NFL Could script stuff...not sure they could even come up with the stuff to end a couple big games today.

Raiders for all purposes eliminated....Cowboys another matchup next week between teams having to win as they host the Seahawks

Ironman92

Administrator

Sun, Dec 17, 2017 11:46 PM

Tough on Derek Carr

friendfromlowry

Sun, Dec 17, 2017 11:47 PM
posted by superman

You said it didn't matter if teams were classless if they win.  I wouldn't expect integrity from a duke fan so no surprise.  

IMO, it doesn't matter. Who cares if they get rid of Marvin and change the culture. If they can't beat Baltimore/Pittsburgh and win a playoff game then what difference does it make. Like I asked, do they hand out awards to the classy teams at the end of the season. The Patriots and Steelers are constantly surrounded by controversy. You think they're losing sleep over it while they beat us every year, win their divisions and superbowls? 

"but at least next year when they're 4-9 and losing at home to Pittsburgh by 20 the culture will be better!!! duke basketball!!!!"

/superman'd 

mhs95_06

Sun, Dec 17, 2017 11:58 PM
posted by Ironman92

IF NFL Could script stuff...not sure they could even come up with the stuff to end a couple big games today.

Raiders for all purposes eliminated....Cowboys another matchup next week between teams having to win as they host the Seahawks

That touchback rule that long pre-dates the Raiders fumble forward rule surely increases the stakes and the drama of extending the ball out to try to get a TD on the inside of the pylon, especially on 3rd and 4th down!  Carr would have really been the goat had it been a 2 point deficit and he tried that.

superman

Mon, Dec 18, 2017 12:16 AM

IMO, it doesn't matter. Who cares if they get rid of Marvin and change the culture. If they can't beat Baltimore/Pittsburgh and win a playoff game then what difference does it make. Like I asked, do they hand out awards to the classy teams at the end of the season. The Patriots and Steelers are constantly surrounded by controversy. You think they're losing sleep over it while they beat us every year, win their divisions and superbowls? 

"but at least next year when they're 4-9 and losing at home to Pittsburgh by 20 the culture will be better!!! duke basketball!!!!"

/superman'd 

Keep being a classless loser.  I hope you don't an opportunity to influence kids on your everyday life.   The Patriots do care about their image.   That's why Belicheck reigns his players in.   

salto

Mon, Dec 18, 2017 8:08 AM

Eff' off N.E. Pat's, the Steelers won that game.