Covid-19 discussion, continued...

MontyBrunswick

Mon, Nov 9, 2020 7:45 PM
posted by gut

the ENTIRE MARKET rallied 5% on this news

the markets were up big before the news was even announced. international markets were killing it and the indexes were up big pre-market

queencitybuckeye

Mon, Nov 9, 2020 8:07 PM

I saw the news before 8.

MontyBrunswick

Mon, Nov 9, 2020 8:11 PM
posted by queencitybuckeye

I saw the news before 8.

which is why i mentioned the international markets and pre-market.

SPY was up 2-3% at 4am.

it's premarket so it doesn't mean a tremendous amount, but the market was probably gonna be up today no matter what.

also, there was a huge sell-off towards the end of the day today so it only ended up 2% or so (which is about where it was at 4AM this morning)

Al Bundy

Mon, Nov 9, 2020 9:43 PM
posted by MontyBrunswick

which is why i mentioned the international markets and pre-market.

SPY was up 2-3% at 4am.

it's premarket so it doesn't mean a tremendous amount, but the market was probably gonna be up today no matter what.

also, there was a huge sell-off towards the end of the day today so it only ended up 2% or so (which is about where it was at 4AM this morning)

The pre-market was already up big on the Biden win over the weekend. The vaccine just added to it.

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Tue, Nov 10, 2020 8:32 AM
posted by sportchampps

The best thing is 90% effective lets us go back to normal not a new normal. For them to receive the 2 billion from the US they have to deliver this year. 

We should have enough doses for the US population by mid 2021 as long as distribution goes right. I hope Biden keeps with Trumps plan to use the Army for distribution they are actually good at supply chain management be cause if they get behind they just call for more people instead of having to hire and train people privat

If not the army, then Chick-fil-A. The have logistics and operations down pat. 

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Tue, Nov 10, 2020 10:33 AM

Just got notification that we're continuing our WFH arrangements until at least April 1.

jmog

Tue, Nov 10, 2020 12:30 PM
posted by justincredible

Just got notification that we're continuing our WFH arrangements until at least April 1.

I wouldn't be surprised if my company doesn't have me stay at home permanently unless I need to come in the office for something.

Myself, and many others, are far out pacing their goals for the year. My current role is to help the sales team pre-engineer the systems so that they get it right. So my goals are based on $$ that I help the sales team land.

My goal was $750,000 for the year, I am currently at $1.5 million. There are a few others in the same situation. If you have somewhat decent worth ethics you get a lot more done at home than you do in an office. Assuming you have a job you can do remotely.

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Tue, Nov 10, 2020 12:45 PM

Yeah, I'm hoping to negotiate this into permanent WFH status so we can move somewhere else.

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Tue, Nov 10, 2020 1:30 PM
posted by gut
Hopefully it's already been addressed, but one thing I haven't heard or seen is how this is going to work globally?  Are we going to get Pfizer's first 100M doses that roll off the line, or do we get like 25% of what they can produce and the rest is going to Canada, Britain, etc?

Just brainstorming here, but wouldn't it be smart for some of these airlines to get in on this action and help distribute the vaccines around the world? 

gut

Tue, Nov 10, 2020 1:46 PM
posted by justincredible

Yeah, I'm hoping to negotiate this into permanent WFH status so we can move somewhere else.

As someone who hasn't had a regular office in many years, my experience is initially you really bust your ass to justify you're not screwing around, then eventually you settle into a more normal work schedule.  And then, after a while, you start to miss the interaction with colleagues. 

Companies are all thinking about the bottom line, and the demand to work from home more, to reduce their overhead on office space.  The short-term efficiency gains will eventually start to crack while the loss of those office synergies start piling up.  Some companies will do this well, but it's REALLY hard to manage remote working effectively.

To me the sweet spot is going into an office 2-3 times per week.  Companies that try to do 100% remote are going to have problems.  And productivity monitoring software really sucks the life out of the appeal of flexible schedules working from home.

And I realize I'm becoming an old man screaming at clouds but I really hate when colleagues send me a text instead of an email.  If you're anything like my stupid friends and family, you're turning a 30 second conversation or email into a 15 minute constant interruption with a series of text messages back and forth.

gut

Tue, Nov 10, 2020 1:56 PM
posted by like_that

Just brainstorming here, but wouldn't it be smart for some of these airlines to get in on this action and help distribute the vaccines around the world? 

Probably not because commercial planes aren't going to be anywhere near as efficient as cargo planes (assuming you can ship these vaccines on dry ice, otherwise it's a different ball game entirely).

But you're probably right, with all the other online ordering, that there's a bottleneck here with the existing cargo supply chain.

I would guess they are planning to use those giant military cargo planes.  It has to be challenging to load-up a transatlantic flight storing this stuff at 80 below 0.

Automatik

Tue, Nov 10, 2020 2:47 PM
posted by justincredible

I'm going this route most likely.

Our secondary NYC office (which I've only been to once) is closing this week. So as of now, I don't have any reason to be in NYC work-wise. They are saying a spring office could happen, but who knows. 

I just had my review, mentioned I'd potentially be moving. My boss (who just moved to Nashville) said "wellllll we really want you to be in a city where we have an office." I countered with, "I interact with you the most, yet you live in Nashville." She backpedaled and said when/if the time comes for you to relocate, it shouldn't be a problem. 

So yeah, I'm most likely bouncing. My lease is up June 1. Not a chance in hell I'm resigning another lease unless there is significant change regarding COVID (which I doubt). 

friendfromlowry

Tue, Nov 10, 2020 3:05 PM

6500 new cases in Ohio today. 

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Tue, Nov 10, 2020 5:01 PM

DeWine is addressing the state at 5:30 tomorrow. Is daddy going to ground us again?

gut

Tue, Nov 10, 2020 5:04 PM

One of the market talking heads just said airline travel is already coming back on news of the vaccine.  I was like "wuht????"

So people who weren't booking travel because of the virus....are suddenly booking travel months before they have any hope of actually getting the vaccine?!?

friendfromlowry

Tue, Nov 10, 2020 5:40 PM
posted by justincredible

DeWine is addressing the state at 5:30 tomorrow. Is daddy going to ground us again?

I’d be really, really unhappy if he did that when the majority of cases are people/families getting together in private and from nursing homes. 

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Tue, Nov 10, 2020 6:26 PM
posted by friendfromlowry
I’d be really, really unhappy if he did that when the majority of cases are people/families getting together in private and from nursing homes. 

Indeed  

gut

Tue, Nov 10, 2020 6:44 PM

... and from nursing homes. 

How is that allowed to happen after all this time?

friendfromlowry

Tue, Nov 10, 2020 7:07 PM
posted by gut

Because nursing homes suck. 

kizer permanente

Tue, Nov 10, 2020 9:04 PM

Is this still the case? With case numbers and positivity rate going up I can’t imagine this is still the case right? 

jmog

Tue, Nov 10, 2020 9:11 PM

Honest question here...

I am speaking for Ohio in general and the places I have traveled for work the last few months. 

People, in general, are wearing masks properly and staying 6 ft apart...in general. I see nearly all people in public while I am out, at least where I have traveled for work and the Akron area.  

If masks and distancing are widely accepted and practiced, and cases are still going up...

Is it time we just protect the vulnerable and let everyone else live their lives to let herd immunity take hold? 

It’s obvious everything we are doing is not stopping the spread anyway. The countries who did near nothing, the countries that did heavy handed lock downs, and those in between like the USA all are relatively similar numbers per million population when corrected for population density.

So why not just live life and be smart about it. Nothing seems to stop it from spreading. 

gut

Tue, Nov 10, 2020 9:48 PM
posted by jmog

So why not just live life and be smart about it. Nothing seems to stop it from spreading. 

I'm not sure people are as compliant in public as you think, necessarily.  But I think the real culprit is private gatherings and people aren't following the guidelines.  So maybe the better question is either you go REAL heavy-handed and stop with half-ass measures, or you open everything up because, like you're saying, people aren't having it.

I'd argue we've seen in pro sports, and even college, that distancing and masks DO work.  Very few cases in the NFL despite all the players with families and kids.  And with the exception of TEN, there has been virtually 0 spread even among teammates (and pretty much 0 from games).  Same goes, mostly, for college...until the players get complacent and go to parties or wherever and bring it in from outside the facility.

Our hospitals are really starting to stretch and we haven't nearly hit peak flu season yet.  So I'm not sure, but your point is well taken that it's very destructive and wasteful to shut down bars and restaurants if people are just doing the same thing in private parties.

jmog

Tue, Nov 10, 2020 10:20 PM

Just giving my personal experience watching people over the last few months in Ohio and other states I have traveled to (IN, PA, MI, VA, MA, ME, etc) that in general, out in public people are wearing masks, 95+% of them. 

Yet the spread isn’t stopped like the “science” said it would be. We have been “flattening the curve” for 9 months now and it was supposed to be 2-3 weeks. 

And I would love to see the evidence that the surge in in cases are from “family gatherings” and not just people being outside. 

The sports you mentioned haven’t done nearly as well as you say. Basketball did because of a full lockdown bubble. 

Baseball was horrible at the beginning. Two teams nearly missed like half the season. 

Colleges have had a number of cases and games canceled, look at Wisconsin. 

NFL has had to play bye week juggling because of all the cases canceling games. Almost every team has had players and coaches test positive and have to go quarantine. 

I think you are painting a Rosie picture of sports when really only the NBA did well with low/zero cases. The NFL and MLB has had serious changes to the schedule and moving things around. 

ernest_t_bass

12th Son of the Lama

Tue, Nov 10, 2020 10:35 PM
posted by justincredible

Try it

majorspark

Tue, Nov 10, 2020 10:53 PM
posted by gut

My wife is the Life Enrichment Director at the assisted living branch of an elder care campus.  There are two communal living buildings separate from the condos on the campus. These people are very near the end of their lives with varying degrees in quality of life.  

They do not like being confined to their rooms. They want to see their family.  They bitch about the plastic cups.  Most are willing to take the risk.  So there is a lot of pressure especially from those who are paying a lot of money from their life savings.  There is currently an outbreak in the communal buildings.  Administration is doing the best they can.  They are caught between a rock and a hard place.  No one is allowing this to happen.