2020 Presidential Election thread

Home Forums Politics

jmog

Tue, Nov 10, 2020 6:15 PM
posted by superman

Not to put too fine of a point in this but calling it a Muslim ban shows that you're a lying hack.  Have a nice day. 

I wasn’t going to call him out on that point but you are not wrong.

gut

Tue, Nov 10, 2020 6:18 PM
posted by jmog

I wasn’t going to call him out on that point but you are not wrong.

I'd say he's also not right.  We can't know it was actually a racist motivation/intention, but the justification was pretty weak and indeed the courts found it was without merit.

Sort of like the border wall.  In theory, it's a vulnerability.  But like a lot of things Trump said, there's really not actual evidence of it.

gut

Tue, Nov 10, 2020 6:25 PM

Also, how hilarious would it be if Trump got $100M book deal (seriously?!?), and the IRS seized the proceeds to pay his past-due taxes and fines?

jmog

Tue, Nov 10, 2020 6:28 PM
posted by gut

I'd say he's also not right.  We can't know it was actually a racist motivation/intention, but the justification was pretty weak and indeed the courts found it was without merit.

Sort of like the border wall.  In theory, it's a vulnerability.  But like a lot of things Trump said, there's really not actual evidence of it.

The ban was from countries that the Obama admin had listed as terrorist havens. It did not ban Muslims like ptown’s naming it suggests.

Calling it a Muslim ban is the part that is a lie, as Muslims were still allowed in the country.  Those handful of countries just were not.

gut

Tue, Nov 10, 2020 6:38 PM
posted by jmog

Calling it a Muslim ban is the part that is a lie, as Muslims were still allowed in the country.  Those handful of countries just were not.

Semantics.  Racist or dog whistle or whatever - that case can be made considering they got smacked down multiple times by the court for failing to provide legal justification for the order.

Laley23

GOAT

Tue, Nov 10, 2020 6:42 PM
posted by gut

That went swimmingly back in 2000.

I agree, though, because one computer glitch could cause mass chaos.  Imagine a Presidential run-off because a state lost 100k votes and there was no other way to certify the winner.

Lol, good point.

But yeah, to the second point, imagine in 2000 the votes becoming an issue because of software or whatever. For some reason, no way to know which votes...that’s a cluster. With paper ballots, always a trail. Just don’t have the stupid punch ones!

jmog

Tue, Nov 10, 2020 9:15 PM
posted by gut
Semantics.  Racist or dog whistle or whatever - that case can be made considering they got smacked down multiple times by the court for failing to provide legal justification for the order.

It’s not semantics. There were plenty of other countries, even in the same part of the world, that were majority Muslim that were not part of the ban.

Just because it was struck down doesn’t mean it was racist.

iclfan2

Reppin' the 330/216/843

Wed, Nov 11, 2020 10:05 AM

Alaska has called the Senate race, so the republicans now have 50. Just need one in Georgia to keep some of the craziest progressive stuff from happening for 2 years. 

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Wed, Nov 11, 2020 10:13 AM
posted by iclfan2

Alaska has called the Senate race, so the republicans now have 50. Just need one in Georgia to keep some of the craziest progressive stuff from happening for 2 years. 

Hopefully they get one.  I think Perdue has the better shot of winning, although I think both can win (or lose).  Manchin out of WV is also a dark horse in preventing progressive bullshit from passing.  

gut

Wed, Nov 11, 2020 12:57 PM
posted by jmog

Just because it was struck down doesn’t mean it was racist.

It was literally struck down because it was discriminatory, and the Adminstration failed in multiple attempts to come up with arguments it wasn't. 

You're making a distinction without a difference - the rulings don't prove the travel ban was racist, they just show the arguments it wasn't aren't convincing.

iclfan2

Reppin' the 330/216/843

Wed, Nov 11, 2020 1:52 PM
posted by gut

Is the GA Secretary of State going to also deliver PA to Trump?

What's not being talked about much is Perdue was real close to a majority, and this process could possibly end-up getting him there.

I think it was announced today that they are only recounting the Pres race, because I thought that too.

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Wed, Nov 11, 2020 1:52 PM
posted by gut

Is the GA Secretary of State going to also deliver PA to Trump?

What's not being talked about much is Perdue was real close to a majority, and this process could possibly end-up getting him there.

I should have, but I didn’t think about that regarding Perdue. It might be why the GOP hasn’t collectively told trump to move on yet.

QuakerOats

Wed, Nov 11, 2020 4:18 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

Not really. Therein lies the problem. You may not like Trump. But one of his appeals was that he wasn't a career politician. Biden is right back to the same DC empty talk that has gone on for decades.

There is a reason people are tired of these guys that make a career of this stuff. Biden is Exhibit A. I hope he does well for the US, but I find his election to be a huge regression. 

Amen.

Didn't do jack shit for 47 years except smooth talk his way to a multi-million dollar political career, complete with foreign payoffs to his direct family members for selling out America.

Gosh we are so lucky he may occupy the WH.

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Wed, Nov 11, 2020 5:20 PM
posted by QuakerOats

Amen.

Didn't do jack shit for 47 years except smooth talk his way to a multi-million dollar political career, complete with foreign payoffs to his direct family members for selling out America.

Gosh we are so lucky he may occupy the WH.

You need to accept that he's just the normal for a politician. Your best bet is to wish him well as his success is our success. I for one hope he rocks and proves me all wrong. 

majorspark

Wed, Nov 11, 2020 5:54 PM

I see Thomas Friedman is out there encouraging democrats to move to Georgia in the next couple of months and register to vote and vote for the two dem senate candidates in the run off.  This sounds like a great gig for a young unemployed leftist.

gut

Wed, Nov 11, 2020 6:09 PM
posted by majorspark

I see Thomas Friedman is out there encouraging democrats to move to Georgia in the next couple of months and register to vote and vote for the two dem senate candidates in the run off.  This sounds like a great gig for a young unemployed leftist.

That might backfire when they start putting up their tents in downtown autonomous zones.

I'm a little surprised that people who weren't residents during the general are allowed to vote in a run-off.  Of course, I don't think anyone ever expected or anticipated what's about to come.  I wonder how much money can be spent on two Senate races over the course of two months?

QuakerOats

Thu, Nov 12, 2020 4:33 PM
posted by gut

That might backfire when they start putting up their tents in downtown autonomous zones.

I'm a little surprised that people who weren't residents during the general are allowed to vote in a run-off.  Of course, I don't think anyone ever expected or anticipated what's about to come.  I wonder how much money can be spent on two Senate races over the course of two months?

I don't think the numbers are on the dems side in these races, but they are within the margin of fraud, so we could potentially see over half a billion spent. 

In the end, even if they pulled it off, democrat Joe Manchin says he will never vote for the radical proposals they offer up.  Seeing the leftists piss away another $400 million would be nice though.

QuakerOats

Wed, Nov 18, 2020 10:09 AM

Mob rule winning out in Wayne County (Detroit).  Substantial fraud and irregularities supported by hundreds of affidavits, and the two republican members of the board were chastised in a two hour meeting and then called racists (imagine that), in order to get them to cave in.  Sickening, dishonest, third-world behavior.  The republic slipping into the abyss.

Spock

Wed, Nov 18, 2020 10:52 AM
posted by QuakerOats

Mob rule winning out in Wayne County (Detroit).  Substantial fraud and irregularities supported by hundreds of affidavits, and the two republican members of the board were chastised in a two hour meeting and then called racists (imagine that), in order to get them to cave in.  Sickening, dishonest, third-world behavior.  The republic slipping into the abyss.

Likely received multiple death threats

friendfromlowry

Wed, Nov 18, 2020 10:54 AM

Looks like bitches still being bitches. 

Heretic

Son of the Sun

Wed, Nov 18, 2020 12:11 PM
posted by friendfromlowry

Looks like bitches still being bitches. 

Lol, not exactly a surprise.

ptown_trojans_1

Wed, Nov 18, 2020 12:25 PM
posted by QuakerOats

Sore Loserman 2000