Browns Preseason 2019

Home Forums Sports

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Thu, Jan 10, 2019 11:23 AM
posted by kizer permanente

Meaning usually have more than just 8 games experience as a coordinator. Most head coaches weren't a position coach earlier in the year, then promoted to coordinator for the remaining 8 games, then given the head coaching job.

Who are the big names you were looking for?

BR1986FB

SportsAndLady

Thu, Jan 10, 2019 12:34 PM

DC hire is going to be very important. I imagine it’ll be a Nagy-Fangio type situation where kitchens will be meeting with the offense while the defense is on the field and the DC will be running the show for the defense. 

iclfan2

Reppin' the 330/216/843

Thu, Jan 10, 2019 12:35 PM

I'm glad they didn't get Gase. Seems terrible for the Jets. We are interviewing Montok OC from Bucs too. Pagano is going to get a lot of looks

BR1986FB

Thu, Jan 10, 2019 12:40 PM
posted by iclfan2

I'm glad they didn't get Gase. Seems terrible for the Jets. We are interviewing Montok OC from Bucs too. Pagano is going to get a lot of looks

Heard this morning that Darnold also Face Timed during the process and he endorsed Gase.

SportsAndLady

Thu, Jan 10, 2019 1:16 PM

I imagine that when the jets owner got a call from Peyton Manning supporting Gase (his best  year was with Gase as OC), the decision was made. 

I actually think the jets made a great hire there. 

kizer permanente

Thu, Jan 10, 2019 2:12 PM
posted by like_that

Who are the big names you were looking for?

Well I heard Bill Cowher bought a house Strongsville so I thought it'd be him.

No I know what you're saying. There wasn't anyone out there that I said damn we need to get him. I guess I probably would have given Gregg Williams another year even though I'm not sold on him, and paid kitchens a ton of money to stay as OC. He'd get some more experience running an offense/personnel, and if Williams regressed he'd still be there. For the couple boneheaded decisions Williams made that drove me crazy, Id like to see what he could have done with a full year and more time while giving Kitchens more time too. I do think under Williams there was more accountability for the players and some flourished. I don't think he was terrible.

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Thu, Jan 10, 2019 2:23 PM
posted by BR1986FB

TBH, this wasn't a great year for the Browns to need a HC. Candidate pool wasn't that great. I'm glad they went with FK.

Speaking of coaches...

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Article/Browns-interested-in-Chuck-Pagano-for-defensive-coordinator--127629505/?utm_source=247Sports%20Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=190110_110333_Cleveland%20Browns&utm_content=Link&liveconnect=23-82-89-46-EB-EA-D9-D5-6F-7B-1B-2C-2B-3A-51-D9190110_110333ClevelandBrowns

I would be a fan of this hire.

No I know what you're saying. There wasn't anyone out there that I said damn we need to get him. I guess I probably would have given Gregg Williams another year even though I'm not sold on him, and paid kitchens a ton of money to stay as OC. He'd get some more experience running an offense/personnel, and if Williams regressed he'd still be there. For the couple boneheaded decisions Williams made that drove me crazy, Id like to see what he could have done with a full year and more time while giving Kitchens more time too. I do think under Williams there was more accountability for the players and some flourished. I don't think he was terrible.

One day Cowher's house will be our coach.  BR's post and this post is why Haslam shoudln't have been a fuck and just let Dorsey make a coaching change last off season. Reich would have been a great person to go after. 

BR1986FB

Thu, Jan 10, 2019 2:58 PM
posted by like_that

I would be a fan of this hire.

One day Cowher's house will be our coach.  BR's post and this post is why Haslam shoudln't have been a fuck and just let Dorsey make a coaching change last off season. Reich would have been a great person to go after. 

If Dorsey were allowed to can Hue last year my bet would've been Matt Nagy as the HC

BR1986FB

Thu, Jan 10, 2019 5:12 PM

Sounds like Vance Joseph will interview for the DC as soon as tomorrow. He met with AZ today.

Also heard that Freddie will be able to choose his own staff and it won't be Dorsey, which is good.

iclfan2

Reppin' the 330/216/843

Thu, Jan 10, 2019 6:00 PM

Heard different sources on who picks the staff, but I’m good as long as Kitchens gets a voice. Ton of people linked so far, Joseph, Cooter, TB guy, Pagano

cat_lover

Thu, Jan 10, 2019 6:00 PM

I believe ownership has finally figured out how to run a football team. Hire a strong football man and let him run things. Hire a HC and let him assembly his staff. Now Jimmy will have plenty of time to fiddle around with his soccer team.

Commander of Awesome

Senior Pwner

Fri, Jan 11, 2019 12:17 PM

I'm not sure where he would be drafted, or if he would even be drafted. But I want the browns to get Terry McLaurin from OSU. He's a great ST player, which we need, plus elite athlete.

iclfan2

Reppin' the 330/216/843

Fri, Jan 11, 2019 12:50 PM

Anyone else questioning why this isn't a done deal yet?

Commander of Awesome

Senior Pwner

Fri, Jan 11, 2019 1:17 PM
posted by iclfan2

Anyone else questioning why this isn't a done deal yet?

No, I think it's trying to get staff filled out.

"And on the day the Cardinals are landing former Broncos’ HC Vance Joseph as their defensive coordinator, the former Arizona HC Steve Wilks is visiting the Cleveland Browns to discuss their DC job, per source."

BR1986FB

Fri, Jan 11, 2019 7:45 PM

Browns will hire Steve Wilks as the DC

Laley23

GOAT

Sat, Jan 12, 2019 9:51 AM

Sounds like Kitchens dealmshould be finalized by end of day. Tomorrow at latest.

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Sun, Jan 13, 2019 8:11 PM

Browns have hired Todd Monken as their OC. 

BR1986FB

Sun, Jan 13, 2019 8:14 PM
posted by wildcats20

Browns have hired Todd Monken as their OC. 

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet

Source: Former OC Todd Monken is headed to Cleveland. He’s agreed to terms with the to be their offensive coordinator. Along with the coming hire of Steve Wilks as DC, that’s a high-powered staff.

8:02 PM - Jan 13, 2019

Brent Sobleski@brentsobleski

Kitchens has put together a tremendous offensive staff.

Monken is an Air Raid disciple working with Baker Mayfield alongside Kitchens after the Bucs posted this year's No. 1 passing offense. This trio could work some serious magic.

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Sun, Jan 13, 2019 8:15 PM
posted by BR1986FB

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet

Source: Former OC Todd Monken is headed to Cleveland. He’s agreed to terms with the to be their offensive coordinator. Along with the coming hire of Steve Wilks as DC, that’s a high-powered staff.

How do you get tweets to post like this? I’m an idiot. 

Crimson streak

Sun, Jan 13, 2019 8:16 PM
posted by BR1986FB

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet

Absolutely love the hiring of Monken! Wilks I’m ok with. As long as we get Carolina Wilks. 

BR1986FB

Sun, Jan 13, 2019 8:19 PM
posted by wildcats20

How do you get tweets to post like this? I’m an idiot. 

Old school cut & paste from my laptop. If I had to post a link from my iPad or phone, stick a fork in me.

BR1986FB

Sun, Jan 13, 2019 8:22 PM
posted by Crimson streak

Absolutely love the hiring of Monken! Wilks I’m ok with. As long as we get Carolina Wilks. 

I like the comment Sobo tweeted in my earlier post. I have a feeling they are going to need to get some strong assistants under Monken because, if this offense does what it's capable of, he's likely one & done and the "next big thing."

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Mon, Jan 14, 2019 10:36 AM

I like the Monken hire.  The buccs had the #1 passing offense in the league with Fitzpatrick and Winston. I also like the James Campen hire for associate head coach.  It seems like many packers fans are upset to see hm leave, which is always a good sign.

As a very green HC, Kitchens is going to need these type of guys on his staff. 

Commander of Awesome

Senior Pwner

Mon, Jan 14, 2019 11:23 AM
posted by like_that

I like the Monken hire.  The buccs had the #1 passing offense in the league with Fitzpatrick and Winston. I also like the James Campen hire for associate head coach.  It seems like many packers fans are upset to see hm leave, which is always a good sign.

As a very green HC, Kitchens is going to need these type of guys on his staff. 

Agreed on all accounts. Not sure about the DC hire, I like that he has HC exp, wish he had more DC experience (1 yr in Carolina). I trust in Dorsey though.

Also, side note...we hired Big Ole Jim Dray to be an offensive asst. Ex Cleveland 3rd TE. #championship move right there.