Browns Preseason 2019

Home Forums Sports

BR1986FB

Wed, Jan 9, 2019 12:11 PM

Not that he was likely sticking around with Kitchens getting the gig but...

Dan Graziano@DanGrazianoESPN

The Browns have relieved defensive coordinator Gregg Williams of his duties and he is no longer with the team, sources tell @PatMcManamon and me.

12:07 PM - Jan 9, 2019

iclfan2

Reppin' the 330/216/843

Wed, Jan 9, 2019 12:12 PM
posted by Laley23

Kitchens it is.

Good. Williams already reported out as well. ST coach better be next.

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Wed, Jan 9, 2019 12:12 PM
posted by Commander of Awesome

oh fuck yea. Best hire, now hoping that Kevin Sfnakhcikhdkihdfkljskski is OC

Stefanski? He’s going back to Minnesota. 

Crimson streak

Wed, Jan 9, 2019 12:22 PM
posted by Commander of Awesome

oh fuck yea. Best hire, now hoping that Kevin Sfnakhcikhdkihdfkljskski is OC

He’s going back to minny. More than likely lindley will be OC. Which I’m completely ok with. Stefanski I’m sure was depodestas choice and kitchens was Dorsey’s. Glad we now know who is actually in charge 

Commander of Awesome

Senior Pwner

Wed, Jan 9, 2019 12:52 PM
posted by Crimson streak

He’s going back to minny. More than likely lindley will be OC. Which I’m completely ok with. Stefanski I’m sure was depodestas choice and kitchens was Dorsey’s. Glad we now know who is actually in charge 

This is based on what?

SportsAndLady

Wed, Jan 9, 2019 1:06 PM

So who’s D coordinator going to be?

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Wed, Jan 9, 2019 1:09 PM

Kitchens is Dorsey's choice, based on the fact Dorsey is the GM.

Commander of Awesome

Senior Pwner

Wed, Jan 9, 2019 1:39 PM
posted by like_that

Kitchens is Dorsey's choice, based on the fact Dorsey is the GM.

Buck stops with Haslem though. Glad it looks like we got a good coach with that noose around our neck.

iclfan2

Reppin' the 330/216/843

Wed, Jan 9, 2019 2:50 PM

Supposedly they facetimed Baker into the interviews, per ESPN. Good

iclfan2

Reppin' the 330/216/843

Wed, Jan 9, 2019 5:26 PM

Kitchens cleaning house. Only people that might be staying are WR coach Henry and RB coach Lindley.  Hardknocks favorite Bob Wylie did not. Amos Jones out too thank goodness. 

Ironman92

Administrator

Wed, Jan 9, 2019 6:08 PM

Was Kitchens being looked at by any other team?

BR1986FB

Wed, Jan 9, 2019 6:54 PM

Heard a ridiculous stat on my drive home, hopefully it hasn't already been posted. During Kitchens tenure as the OC, the offense averaged 6.8+. yards per play. Had he done that over a full season, that would've been the second highest yards per play since 1970. Can't wait to see what he can do with a full offseason to implement his offense.

kizer permanente

Wed, Jan 9, 2019 7:19 PM

I’ll trust Dorsey cuz god knows he knows more football than I ever will, but I’d never pull the trigger on a head coach who was at most a coordinator for 8 games.  Especially when that guy looks like Larry the Cable guy. 

Ironman92

Administrator

Wed, Jan 9, 2019 7:50 PM
posted by kizer permanente

I’ll trust Dorsey cuz god knows he knows more football than I ever will, but I’d never pull the trigger on a head coach who was at most a coordinator for 8 games.  Especially when that guy looks like Larry the Cable guy. 

Lol...I thought he looked like he jumped out of the dawg pound. I trust Dorsey but my worry (I’m not worried lol) is that BM and the new main man had a great thing going, but like all sports teams adjust...I would’ve like to have seen him adjust back before becoming the head coach, but time didn’t permit.

SportsAndLady

Wed, Jan 9, 2019 7:58 PM

Haven’t all great head coaches been a coordinator for 8 games?

kizer permanente

Wed, Jan 9, 2019 8:05 PM
posted by SportsAndLady

Haven’t all great head coaches been a coordinator for 8 games?

Not at most. 

SportsAndLady

Wed, Jan 9, 2019 8:28 PM

Not at most. 

What?

every great coach has, at one point, been a coach (either coordinator or HC) for 8 games. If Dorsey thinks he’s going to be a great coach, might as well hire him so he’s won’t leave. 

Al Bundy

Wed, Jan 9, 2019 8:41 PM
posted by Ironman92

Was Kitchens being looked at by any other team?

Browns didn't let him interview with other teams.

BRF

Wed, Jan 9, 2019 10:08 PM
posted by Al Bundy

Except Massillon. 

iclfan2

Reppin' the 330/216/843

Wed, Jan 9, 2019 10:41 PM
posted by Al Bundy

I don’t think they could stop him from getting a HC interview.

Commander of Awesome

Senior Pwner

Thu, Jan 10, 2019 1:42 AM

Several teams have hired ST Coord before for HC jobs. Harbaugh in Balt is a is recent example.

BR1986FB

Thu, Jan 10, 2019 8:00 AM
posted by Ironman92

Lol...I thought he looked like he jumped out of the dawg pound. I trust Dorsey but my worry (I’m not worried lol) is that BM and the new main man had a great thing going, but like all sports teams adjust...I would’ve like to have seen him adjust back before becoming the head coach, but time didn’t permit.

I've heard some positives on this hire but a ton of people are panning it. Hearing "with the Browns having the most coveted job in the league, two offensive coordinators with minimal experience was the best you could do for finalists?"

I think there's a couple of reasons for this:

1) I've heard that they really wanted to hire McCarthy but he insisted on bringing his own staff and the Browns wanted to retain Kitchens. Heard this about some other coaches too. Kitchens was staying. The fact that Stefanski left Cleveland right after that 2nd interview told me they either brought him back to interview for the OC role or told him Kitchens would be part of his staff. Coaches don't like that crap. McDaniels supposedly bowed out of the GB job because he was going to have Mike Pettine forced on him as the DC.

2) The Baker Mayfield effect. Mayfield hasn't had a history of getting along with some coaches and there's a comfort level with Kitchens. Kitchens did a bang up job as the OC but I wonder how much it matters who the OC is. Mayfield supposedly has this Peyton Manning-like QB savant air to him and will likely be his own OC by the end of the 2019 season. The fact that they let him face time on these interviews tells me that everything this team does, going forward, will have BM in mind.

vball10set

paying it forward

Thu, Jan 10, 2019 8:02 AM
posted by Al Bundy

posted by BRF

Except Massillon. 

lol

kizer permanente

Thu, Jan 10, 2019 11:13 AM
posted by SportsAndLady

What?

every great coach has, at one point, been a coach (either coordinator or HC) for 8 games. If Dorsey thinks he’s going to be a great coach, might as well hire him so he’s won’t leave. 

Meaning usually have more than just 8 games experience as a coordinator. Most head coaches weren't a position coach earlier in the year, then promoted to coordinator for the remaining 8 games, then given the head coaching job.

SportsAndLady

Thu, Jan 10, 2019 11:17 AM

Meaning usually have more than just 8 games experience as a coordinator. Most head coaches weren't a position coach earlier in the year, then promoted to coordinator for the remaining 8 games, then given the head coaching job.

I’m saying even Bilichek, Parcells, McVay, Payton, whoever, we’re all 8 games into their career. Just because we’re hiring kitchens before he’s had several good years as a HC doesn’t mean it’s a bad hire. They hired him so he wouldn’t go somewhere else. I love it.