Browns Preseason 2019

Home Forums Sports

Crimson streak

Thu, Jan 3, 2019 3:41 PM
posted by like_that

I don't get the jerk off fest for this guy.  Is it because he is "young?" He really hasn't done anything impressive at ISU.  The hype around him reminds me of the hype around Doug Marrone when he was coaching at Syracuse.  Made 0 sense to me.

Is this a joke? What he has done at Iowa st. Has been amazing. He took an absolutely terrible program to being a top 25 team 2 years in a row. Many thought he was the absolute favorite to be the next Ohio st coach until they decided to stay in house with Day. The patriots offered him a coaching position a couple years ago and turned it down. 

The fact they won’t let kitchens interview tells me he will either be the OC next year or the head coach. Honestly I would be 100% happy if Dorsey hired him to be the HC 

Commander of Awesome

Senior Pwner

Thu, Jan 3, 2019 3:59 PM
posted by Crimson streak

Is this a joke? What he has done at Iowa st. Has been amazing. He took an absolutely terrible program to being a top 25 team 2 years in a row. Many thought he was the absolute favorite to be the next Ohio st coach until they decided to stay in house with Day. The patriots offered him a coaching position a couple years ago and turned it down. 

The fact they won’t let kitchens interview tells me he will either be the OC next year or the head coach. Honestly I would be 100% happy if Dorsey hired him to be the HC 

Is this a joke?
Having a top 25 college team for two years now means he's ready to be a HC? Give me a fuggin' break. He can come to the browns and be a position coach, outside of that he can jog on. HC? GTFO

vball10set

paying it forward

Thu, Jan 3, 2019 4:11 PM
posted by Crimson streak

Is this a joke? What he has done at Iowa st. Has been amazing. He took an absolutely terrible program to being a top 25 team 2 years in a row.  

3-9, 8-5, 8-5 in his three years at ISU...excellent job, but certainly not NFL HC worthy, at least not now...and a couple years as a coordinator at the NFL level might help as well.

Commander of Awesome

Senior Pwner

Thu, Jan 3, 2019 4:26 PM
posted by vball10set

3-9, 8-5, 8-5 in his three years at ISU...excellent job, but certainly not NFL HC worthy, at least not now...and a couple years as a coordinator at that level might help as well.

8-5 is a fireable offense at most major universities. Reeks of Hoiberg IMO. EZ & HARD PASS

BR1986FB

Thu, Jan 3, 2019 8:17 PM

Jesus....I believe it was Heretic who said that sports talk radio callers will make you dumber. I didn't hear this but did see people bashing this caller online. Some dumbass in Cleveland called up the local sports talk station and seriously proposed a Derek Carr and two 1st's for Baker Mayfield. Good god....I don't know that there's a trade that I'd make for him right now.

Laley23

GOAT

Thu, Jan 3, 2019 10:59 PM
posted by Commander of Awesome

8-5 is a fireable offense at most major universities. Reeks of Hoiberg IMO. EZ & HARD PASS

After a decade of losing records...no it isn’t. And frankly, it isn’t at “most major universities” in general.

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Fri, Jan 4, 2019 9:10 AM
posted by Laley23

Not sure he is ready for the NFL. But ISU had exactly 1 season above .500, at 7-6 (and 4th in their division), before he took over. They went 8-5 last year and this finishing 4th and 3rd in the Big 12. 

Good for him.  He can work on building on his two 8-5 seasons in the Big 12 and perhaps eventually work his way to a big program or into the NFL.  Jim Harbaugh did more when he took over shitty college football programs, and look at him now. His resume right now doesn't scream "NFL head coach" ready at all.  Especially for the top HC vacancy in the NFL. The hype is premature and definitely not worth a NFL HC gig. I hardly trust the big names from college programs without NFL experience, let alone this guy. 

posted by Crimson streak

No, it's not a joke at all.  His resume and hype screams Doug Marrone to me.  He should work his way to a bigger school, where the expectations are much higher than being excited for two 8-5 seasons.  

Is this a joke?
Having a top 25 college team for two years now means he's ready to be a HC? Give me a fuggin' break. He can come to the browns and be a position coach, outside of that he can jog on. HC? GTFO

This.  As I said above, get a HC gig at a school with higher expectations or work your way thru the NFL as a positions coach then we can talk.  

Imagine him being the HC at OSU and churning out 8-5 seasons.  I am sure this forum would be ecstatic /sarcasm.  I can think of many other current college FB coaches, that I would rather interview well before Campbell. 

SportsAndLady

Fri, Jan 4, 2019 9:17 AM

I think the point is, if you can take a 1-10 Iowa state program to 8-5, it means you can coach. If you can coach, the NFL will come calling. 

That being said, let him go to another nfl team that doesn’t have SB expectations in the coming years. Browns need to focus on someone else. 

BR1986FB

Fri, Jan 4, 2019 9:20 AM

Basically, what S&L said is correct. Campbell can coach players up. Some seem to forget, Campbell's getting 2 & 3 star recruits. He doesn't have the benefit of being a Meyer or Saban where the 5 stars are just falling in his lap.

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Fri, Jan 4, 2019 9:38 AM
posted by SportsAndLady

I think the point is, if you can take a 1-10 Iowa state program to 8-5, it means you can coach. If you can coach, the NFL will come calling. 

That being said, let him go to another nfl team that doesn’t have SB expectations in the coming years. Browns need to focus on someone else. 

I get the logic, but there are plenty of college FB coaches who have done this and they don't deserve to coach a NFL team, especially the top vacancy in the NFL.  It's a much different ball game when you're coaching a program that has high expectations or the NFL where coaches are on a short leash this day and age. 

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Fri, Jan 4, 2019 9:41 AM
posted by BR1986FB

Basically, what S&L said is correct. Campbell can coach players up. Some seem to forget, Campbell's getting 2 & 3 star recruits. He doesn't have the benefit of being a Meyer or Saban where the 5 stars are just falling in his lap.

I wouldn't want Bowling Green or Utah Urban Meyer to take over this current Browns roster either and his resume from those two schools are more impressive than Campbell's.  Urban Meyer did exactly what I said Campbell should do.  He went to a school with high expectations and he thrived.  Hell, even now fans aren't too sure if they would want Urban to coach the Browns, because he has 0 NFL experience. 

BR1986FB

Fri, Jan 4, 2019 9:44 AM
posted by like_that

I wouldn't want Bowling Green or Utah Urban Meyer to take over this current Browns roster either and his resume from those two schools are more impressive than Campbell's.  Urban Meyer did exactly what I said Campbell should do.  He went to a school with high expectations and he thrived.  Hell, even now fans aren't too sure if they would want Urban to coach the Browns, because he has 0 NFL experience. 

I didn't say I wanted Campbell but the guy can coach.

vball10set

paying it forward

Fri, Jan 4, 2019 9:45 AM
posted by SportsAndLady
If you can coach, the NFL will come calling. 

To your point, Louis Riddick was on G&W this morning saying if he were a NFL GM, he'd continue to call Ryan Day until he returned the call. He said the way he coaches the offense against various defenses is NFL caliber, and when he asked football people what they thought of Day, both as a person and as a coach, the feedback was overwhelming. I think OSU hit a home run with the hire, but you have to wonder how long before the $$$'s of the NFL come calling.

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Fri, Jan 4, 2019 10:01 AM
posted by BR1986FB

I didn't say I wanted Campbell but the guy can coach.

I am not saying you are, I am just adding to my case that I don't believe he deserves this current jerk off fest.  Don't get me wrong either, I hope he succeeds (unless he ends up somewhere I hate).  I like to see Ohio guys succeed.  It's a good argument to use when you debate, which state is the best at football.  I have a dumbass friend from PA (band geek), that used to say PA is better state for football than Ohio.  All I had to do was give him a list of coaches from Ohio and that made him STFU.

BR1986FB

Fri, Jan 4, 2019 10:22 AM
posted by like_that

I am not saying you are, I am just adding to my case that I don't believe he deserves this current jerk off fest.  Don't get me wrong either, I hope he succeeds (unless he ends up somewhere I hate).  I like to see Ohio guys succeed.  It's a good argument to use when you debate, which state is the best at football.  I have a dumbass friend from PA (band geek), that used to say PA is better state for football than Ohio.  All I had to do was give him a list of coaches from Ohio and that made him STFU.

Including Chuck Noll, lol

SportsAndLady

Fri, Jan 4, 2019 10:56 AM
posted by like_that

I get the logic, but there are plenty of college FB coaches who have done this and they don't deserve to coach a NFL team, especially the top vacancy in the NFL.  It's a much different ball game when you're coaching a program that has high expectations or the NFL where coaches are on a short leash this day and age. 

Who are these college coaches who’ve taken over 1-10 programs and turned out two 8-5 seasons in such a short time?

SportsAndLady

Fri, Jan 4, 2019 10:59 AM
posted by vball10set
If you can coach, the NFL will come calling. 

To your point, Louis Riddick was on G&W this morning saying if he were a NFL GM, he'd continue to call Ryan Day until he returned the call. He said the way he coaches the offense against various defenses is NFL caliber, and when he asked football people what they thought of Day, both as a person and as a coach, the feedback was overwhelming. I think OSU hit a home run with the hire, but you have to wonder how long before the $$$'s of the NFL come calling.

Yeah I heard Riddick’s comments on Day, too. Does make me a little nervous that our new coach is already being looked at for the NFL. I listened to Day’s interview on golic and wingo, and he said he is humbled by riddicks comments and he seemed to talk like he’s going to try and win OSU a championship but coaching in the NFL sounds like something he’d do. I doubt we’ll have Day for more than 3-4 years. 

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Fri, Jan 4, 2019 11:09 AM
posted by SportsAndLady

Who are these college coaches who’ve taken over 1-10 programs and turned out two 8-5 seasons in such a short time?

I wasn't being that specific lol, but there are plenty of coaches that take over shit programs and turn them into barely over .500 teams.  Doug Marrone, Jim Harbaugh, Butch Davis, and Urban Meyer are a few names that come to mind without even looking into it. 

Campbell is a byproduct of teams all of a sudden getting into this "young up and comer/innovative" coach trend, because of McVay and Nagy.   If that is what you guys like, then we already have it with Freddie Kitchens.  He actually has 12 years of NFL experience under his belt, and some success to show for it. 

Commander of Awesome

Senior Pwner

Fri, Jan 4, 2019 11:48 AM
posted by SportsAndLady

Does it? Maybe it means the guy before can't coach, or that he's a good recruiter. Two seasons at a shitty school with a shitty record does not = NFL HC. Long as we're talking College coaches that have no business being the HC of the browns, I don't see anyone JOing to Scott Frost, who took an 0-12 UCF team to 11-0 record in two seasons. There's a guy that is a better coach that some Iowa St bum.

Commander of Awesome

Senior Pwner

Fri, Jan 4, 2019 11:49 AM
posted by BR1986FB

He's also playing in bum ass teams like Akron, Northern Iowa, Kansas St, and Drake.

BR1986FB

Fri, Jan 4, 2019 12:10 PM
posted by like_that

Campbell is a byproduct of teams all of a sudden getting into this "young up and comer/innovative" coach trend, because of McVay and Nagy.   If that is what you guys like, then we already have it with Freddie Kitchens.  He actually has 12 years of NFL experience under his belt, and some success to show for it. 

Heard a comment this morning that "McDaniels was McVay before McVay was McVay."

Commander of Awesome

Senior Pwner

Fri, Jan 4, 2019 12:20 PM
posted by BR1986FB

Heard a comment this morning that "McDaniels was McVay before McVay was McVay."

Except McDaniels is a proven loser in the NFL with his 11-17 (.393) record as HC. That's Hue Jackson level of bad, have no idea why any team would even consider him.

Verbal Kint

Fri, Jan 4, 2019 1:02 PM

and NON SCHOLLY Drake.

LOL, by 3 points.  WTF

BR1986FB

Fri, Jan 4, 2019 1:29 PM

Except McDaniels is a proven loser in the NFL with his 11-17 (.393) record as HC. That's Hue Jackson level of bad, have no idea why any team would even consider him.

They were talking about his offensive coordinator acumen more than his HC skills. I don't want any part of that POS weasel. If the Browns do hire him, I wonder if there will be more Peyton Hillis sightings in Cleveland....lol

SportsAndLady

Fri, Jan 4, 2019 2:01 PM

Joel Bitonio second team all-pro. No clue how he wasn’t 1st team.