2024 NFL Offseason

Home Forums Sports

MontyBrunswick

Tue, Mar 5, 2024 7:58 AM
posted by gut

And McCarthy went 27-1 his last two years, won a championship, and put up pretty good numbers.

Kellen Moore comes to mind as someone who had similar attributes.

MontyBrunswick

Tue, Mar 5, 2024 7:59 AM
posted by Ironman92

Is Watson a good comparison?

I'd take Watson 10 out of 10 times against McCarthy, but I wouldn't pay him 250m.

Russell Wilson feels like a decent comparison, but even Russell Wilson made his college teams better. I can't say the same for McCarthy. He just felt like a guy. He wasn't going to win you a game but he probably wasn't going to lose you any either.

I just don't see him in the NFL and definitely not as a 1st round pick. A team will probably be dumb enough to select him in the first round, but I sure wouldn't 

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Tue, Mar 5, 2024 9:33 AM

Who is everyone hoping your team will draft in the first round?

Jets at 10 probably have to go OT. Alt will likely be gone by then. Fuaga or Fashanu would be fine.

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Tue, Mar 5, 2024 9:33 AM

I just looked at a couple recent mocks and they all had JJ McCarthy in the top 10. 

Automatik

Tue, Mar 5, 2024 9:50 AM

I saw that too. They slurped him a lot during the combine. I guess he interviewed well.

Laley23

GOAT

Tue, Mar 5, 2024 10:00 AM

JJ McCarthy has all the tools. We really penalizing him for being on a team where they demolished everyone not named Georgia the last 3 years? I know this board is 90% OSU fans, but sheesh. 

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Tue, Mar 5, 2024 10:02 AM

I wouldn't be upset if the Jets figure out a way to get Penix since it looks like he's not projected to go in the first. 

Automatik

Tue, Mar 5, 2024 10:07 AM
posted by Laley23

JJ McCarthy has all the tools. We really penalizing him for being on a team where they demolished everyone not named Georgia the last 3 years? I know this board is 90% OSU fans, but sheesh. 

Relax, I know he's a great player. I was just surprised a first rounder. Didn't really see much of an NFL arm IMO.

Laley23

GOAT

Tue, Mar 5, 2024 10:10 AM
posted by Automatik

Relax, I know he's a great player. I was just surprised a first rounder. Didn't really see much of an NFL arm IMO.

I'm talking more to Monty. 

MontyBrunswick

Tue, Mar 5, 2024 11:42 AM
posted by Laley23

We really penalizing him for being on a team where they demolished everyone not named Georgia the last 3 years? I know this board is 90% OSU fans, but sheesh. 

no, im penalizing him for being a guy. He's not a difference maker at QB and typically first rounders are exactly that.

Take a flyer on him in the 3rd? Sure why not. Use a first round pick on him? No way. Surely someone else is available at some other position that is a better pick that he would be.

gut

Tue, Mar 5, 2024 11:47 AM
posted by MontyBrunswick

no, im penalizing him for being a guy. He's not a difference maker at QB and typically first rounders are exactly that. 

Crazy talk.

There is, on average, about ONE franchise QB every other year.  Probably 5-6 drafted in the first round most years.

He's an R1 talent.  OK, you won't take him but at least half a dozen people who get paid a lot to do this will.  Unlike Kenny Pickett, for example, McCarthy has a good arm.

Odds are he WILL bust, like 95% of other QBs drafted in R1.  So not exactly a bold statement to claim a QB is going to bust.

Automatik

Tue, Mar 5, 2024 12:08 PM
posted by MontyBrunswick

Take a flyer on him in the 3rd? Sure why not. Use a first round pick on him? No way. Surely someone else is available at some other position that is a better pick that he would be.

Typically? I disagree. It's a more or less a crapshoot. 

MontyBrunswick

Tue, Mar 5, 2024 12:38 PM
Double post somehow

MontyBrunswick

Tue, Mar 5, 2024 12:39 PM

We're getting away from the point I originally wanted to make. the combine is stupid and pointless.

And JJ McCarthy is a trash can qb.

The jets are going to take him and continue to be terrible

Automatik

Tue, Mar 5, 2024 12:51 PM
posted by MontyBrunswick

We're getting away from the point I originally wanted to make. the combine is stupid and pointless.

What would you suggest?

MontyBrunswick

Tue, Mar 5, 2024 1:02 PM
posted by Automatik
What would you suggest?

Judge them purely by their body of work in college. There's a ton of footage for basically everyone in today's digital world.

I don't think there's much information to be gleaned from 40 times and QBs throwing to wide open WRs running routes.

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Tue, Mar 5, 2024 1:03 PM
posted by MontyBrunswick

The jets are going to take him and continue to be terrible

You shut your mouth.

iclfan2

Reppin' the 330/216/843

Wed, Mar 6, 2024 9:24 AM
posted by MontyBrunswick

Judge them purely by their body of work in college. There's a ton of footage for basically everyone in today's digital world.

I don't think there's much information to be gleaned from 40 times and QBs throwing to wide open WRs running routes.

For the most part, tape is what they rely on. Very rarely does someone really move that much based on combine alone (other than the media’s opinion). The meetings with players are one of the more important aspects of the combine. 

BR1986FB

Wed, Mar 6, 2024 9:32 AM
posted by iclfan2

The meetings with players are one of the more important aspects of the combine. 

Someone should've told Ray Farmer that before drafting Justin Gilbert & Johnny Manziel

j_crazy

7 gram rocks. how i roll.

Wed, Mar 6, 2024 10:25 AM

miami is apparently only going to play offense, letting wilkins walk, cutting xavien howard and jerome baker. they are still 16million over the cap and haven't signed tua to what i'm sure will be 45+ million per year and further wrecking this cap situation. Thank god Waddle needs signed next year, when i'm sure they will cut chubb and take on another 18 million in dead cap, and tyreek, ramsey, and armstead combine for 75 million in salary (without restructuring)

i predict they will draft OL or maybe a wilkins replacement DL in the first. but i wouldn't rule out something truly fubar like another RB or CB, or some position that is flashy, but won't improve the chances of winning.  somehow this team hedged its future on winning this year without having a real plan in place on what they were going to do in order to win.  

probably looking at a rough 2 -3 year stretch here, then a full reboot when whatever contract Tua signs has like 2 years left. at least we scored 70 on denver this year...

friendfromlowry

Thu, Mar 7, 2024 11:27 AM

Wonder how much longer Travis Kelce wants to keep playing when he can retire off into the sunset with TSwift and do literally anything with Jason and get paid a lot for it. 

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Thu, Mar 7, 2024 11:49 AM
posted by friendfromlowry

Wonder how much longer Travis Kelce wants to keep playing when he can retire off into the sunset with TSwift and do literally anything with Jason and get paid a lot for it. 

If I were him I'd probably go for a 3-peat and retire after this season regardless of what happens.

BR1986FB

Thu, Mar 7, 2024 2:56 PM

Russell Wilson to meet with Pittsburgh regarding joining the Steelers.

A little off topic but when this news about Wilson meeting with Pittsburgh broke, a Yinzer fan called in to Sirius XM and was asking questions about potentially signing him. Then, the fan proceeds to ask something to the effect of "did you guys see anyone that would be good for the Steelers at the NFL "Columbine'?" They just write their own stereotype...

Automatik

Thu, Mar 7, 2024 3:26 PM

I have minimal interest in Wilson. 

But I’d take him on the cheap.

BR1986FB

Thu, Mar 7, 2024 3:36 PM
posted by Automatik

I have minimal interest in Wilson. 

But I’d take him on the cheap.

I know Pittsburgh has a better defense but are the offensive weapons really an upgrade over Denver's?