2018 Golf Thread

Home Forums Sports

Ironman92

Administrator

Sun, Mar 11, 2018 5:56 PM

Congrats to Paul Casey! Have fun answering  questions about Tiger but $1.5 mill probably helps

golf has been real good this year

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Sun, Mar 11, 2018 6:02 PM
posted by Ironman92

Congrats to Paul Casey! Have fun answering  questions about Tiger but $1.5 mill probably helps

golf has been real good this year

He’s ok with it. He said yesterday that if he can’t win, he wanted Tiger to win. 

Ironman92

Administrator

Sun, Mar 11, 2018 6:16 PM
posted by wildcats20

He’s ok with it. He said yesterday that if he can’t win, he wanted Tiger to win. 

Casey is a good good dude

vball10set

paying it forward

Sun, Mar 11, 2018 7:06 PM
posted by Ironman92

Rose is nails. 100% on putts 5 ft or under

He gonna win and say golly gee and be all polite and boring. Dude is nails though and has been since age 18? In British Open of 99?

hahaha, great call :sarcasm: ...and I know I had you nervous as hell regarding Reed until his brain cramp on 18 too

Ironman92

Administrator

Sun, Mar 11, 2018 7:15 PM
posted by vball10set

hahaha, great call :sarcasm: ...and I know I had you nervous as hell regarding Reed until his brain cramp on 18 too

I was ready to rep you then lol the clutch putter misses a 40 ft putt by 40 feet lol

QuakerOats

Wed, Apr 4, 2018 9:46 AM

I need to fill out some Masters pools; you do like, and who are the lower-ranked players who you think will make the cut and perhaps finish top 20?  Thanks.

I think Justin Rose may contend again; he has been playing well of late; Fowler seems to have that one bad hole late that dooms him.  Stenson and Watson from Tier 2 look good; Molinari and Oosthuizen from Tier 3.  

Ironman92

Administrator

Wed, Apr 4, 2018 10:18 AM

Rose, Mickelson, Thomas, Fowler, Bubba

vball10set

paying it forward

Wed, Apr 4, 2018 10:38 AM

Thomas, Fowler & DJ will contend, but I think it's Rory's to lose

Laley23

GOAT

Wed, Apr 4, 2018 12:35 PM
  • Rose has been my pick for like 6 months
  • Tiger, when healthy, has never really had a bad finish
  • Adam Hadwin, in his debut last year, finished 36th. After a BRUTAL opening round trying to figure out greens
  • I wouldn't worry about making the Cut with your picks. About 6 legit golfers will miss. Tiny field (83?), Top 50 and ties make cut...and 15 of them are old former champions without a chance. Then the "within 10 of leader" rule.

The guys I am backing in my pools/Vegas...this is semi-tiered based. Obviously if you can pick anyone, there are better options to fill a "team" out

1. Rose
  2. Tiger
  3. Casey
  4. Scott
  5. Kuchar
  6. Branden Grace
  7. Alex Noren
  8. Patrick Cantlay
  9. Hadwin
  10. Hao-Tong Li (deepest sleeper)

QuakerOats

Wed, Apr 4, 2018 2:17 PM

My pool is a tier pool also, based on world rankings.  

I went with: 

Rose (Tier 1) 

Watson (2)

Poulter (3)

Berger (4)

Pieters (5)

Woods (6)

at least 4 of them need to make the cut, then the aggregate 4 best scores wins. 

Laley23

GOAT

Wed, Apr 4, 2018 3:21 PM
posted by QuakerOats

My pool is a tier pool also, based on world rankings.  

I went with: 

Rose (Tier 1) 

Watson (2)

Poulter (3)

Berger (4)

Pieters (5)

Woods (6)

at least 4 of them need to make the cut, then the aggregate 4 best scores wins. 

Who else is in the Tiger tier? You could maybe fade him for someone else who could pop off, since his ranking is so low, he is likely going to be nearly 100% owned.

QuakerOats

Wed, Apr 4, 2018 4:24 PM

Biggest Tier is (6), but the notables therein are Zach Johnson, Schwartzel, Scott, Moore, Kaymer, Walker, Kizzire, Henley, Vegas, Wiesberger ....

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Wed, Apr 4, 2018 4:28 PM

Tony Finau just made an ace. Went running down the hill after it, rolled his ankle, stood there for a second, and then popped it back into place like it was nothing. 

Laley23

GOAT

Wed, Apr 4, 2018 4:28 PM

Yeah, I’d probably go Tiger. Though I like where Scott’s game is at the moment. And Charl is a wildcard.

QuakerOats

Wed, Apr 4, 2018 4:30 PM

The critical thing is to have 4 that make the cut, sometimes very difficult, and so I tend to pick guys that have a good historical ratio of making the cut at Augusta, and/or ability to avoid the pop up 76's and 78's ...

Ironman92

Administrator

Wed, Apr 4, 2018 6:32 PM

I brushed aside watching Nicklaus’s grandson’s hole in one....but finally saw it and it was cool as hell. Great moment.

QuakerOats

Thu, Apr 5, 2018 9:55 AM

Then Tony Finau gets an ace, and damn near breaks his ankle celebrating.  He may not be able to go today  ??

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Thu, Apr 5, 2018 10:20 AM
posted by QuakerOats

Then Tony Finau gets an ace, and damn near breaks his ankle celebrating.  He may not be able to go today  ??

He’s good to go. X Ray last night was negative. MRI this morning showed no damage. “Just” a high ankle sprain. 

QuakerOats

Thu, Apr 5, 2018 11:10 AM
posted by wildcats20

He’s good to go. X Ray last night was negative. MRI this morning showed no damage. “Just” a high ankle sprain. 

I would say it is pretty impossible to play good golf with a high ankle sprain, especially at The Masters, but best of luck to him, seems like a good guy.

QuakerOats

Thu, Apr 5, 2018 11:11 AM

Combined age of two current leaders is 116 !    LOL 

...obviously that only lasted about 2 holes

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Thu, Apr 5, 2018 3:15 PM
posted by QuakerOats

I would say it is pretty impossible to play good golf with a high ankle sprain, especially at The Masters, but best of luck to him, seems like a good guy.

-2 thru 8 

cat_lover

Thu, Apr 5, 2018 3:23 PM

Sergio just took a 13 on the par 5 15th.

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Thu, Apr 5, 2018 3:27 PM
posted by cat_lover

Sergio just took a 13 on the par 5 15th.

5 in the water. 

cat_lover

Thu, Apr 5, 2018 3:31 PM

And he sets the record for the highest score on a hole in the history of The Masters.