2018 Golf Thread

Home Forums Sports

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Mon, Feb 19, 2018 12:34 PM
posted by Ironman92

Laley....the putting line lines, is that new? Is it you guys?

I’m not sure I like them but need more time watching. My wife knows little about golf definitely likes them.

Golf Channel uses them on their Euro coverage. I don’t mind them, but I could do without them. They aren’t too accurate either. I can’t remember who it was, but they had the line showing a big right to left break and he it the putt to the left of the graphic and it broke to the right and into the cup. It was bad. 

Laley23

GOAT

Mon, Feb 19, 2018 12:46 PM

No, not us, and yes new to coverage in US.

We used to do the “putt path” that showed the optimal line in a video game style. But it got outdated and GC/NBC didn’t want to invest resources to modernize it. Only thing we do for golf (aside from the actual scoring of the event...lol) is the Drive Grid. Onsite we power almost all the video boards and digital scoring boards.

I kinda like the lines for the putt, but they should ease into it more. Take them out before the putt happens until people are more used to them. Every so often they won’t be accurate, and you can almost ALWAYS find a different way to make a putt on some of those greens. But, for the most part, they are pretty dead nuts. The program takes into consideration elevation, x/y/z of the entire route, and the time of day (and someone manually tells the program the speed of them at start of day) allowing it to adjust to grass growing opposite from morning (following sun) and how much faster it will be at a given hour. 

Ironman92

Administrator

Mon, Feb 19, 2018 1:13 PM

Thanks

Ironman92

Administrator

Mon, Feb 19, 2018 1:14 PM

I would like them if the went away 3 seconds before the putt

Classyposter58

Tue, Feb 20, 2018 6:38 PM

Good point on the greens Laley. Playing on these difficult tour greens have some very very complex breaks to them. You see that at Highland Meadows in Sylvania where the LPGA plays, not a long course but Jesus those greens eat people up

Laley23

GOAT

Sun, Feb 25, 2018 7:20 PM

JT gets another win. Tiger looked REAL good this week.

Ironman92

Administrator

Sun, Feb 25, 2018 7:22 PM
posted by Laley23

He’s pretty close

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Sun, Feb 25, 2018 7:29 PM
posted by Laley23

The shots in the water on 15 weren’t a big deal. Yesterday was just a bad shot, today he was going for it. He’s so damn close. And honestly, the greens were horrible. Like worse than muni horrible. Many of his near makes, arguably go in on better surfaces. If that happens, he shoots 65ish yesterday. 

He was 2nd in driving distance. He’s 42, has had 4 back surgeries. He led the field in proximity, at one point yesterday it was by over 10 feet. 

Laley23

GOAT

Mon, Feb 26, 2018 4:22 PM

Keep JT off the Ryder Cup team lol.

Ironman92

Administrator

Mon, Feb 26, 2018 4:39 PM

He’s a douche

Ironman92

Administrator

Sun, Mar 4, 2018 5:01 PM

Justin Thomas my god.

SportsAndLady

Sun, Mar 4, 2018 5:16 PM

Thomas is a douche but damn he’s really good. 

Ironman92

Administrator

Sun, Mar 4, 2018 5:51 PM

Phil might steal Thomas’s thunder

Ironman92

Administrator

Sun, Mar 4, 2018 5:54 PM

Phil choked on the wedge....36 ft away

SportsAndLady

Sun, Mar 4, 2018 6:00 PM

Rooting for JT..not a big Mickelson fan

Ironman92

Administrator

Sun, Mar 4, 2018 6:08 PM
posted by SportsAndLady

Rooting for JT..not a big Mickelson fan

I don’t really like either of them honestly.

SportsAndLady

Sun, Mar 4, 2018 6:19 PM

wtf cameraman lol

Ironman92

Administrator

Sun, Mar 4, 2018 6:20 PM
posted by SportsAndLady

wtf cameraman lol

I mean seriously? Wtf?

Thomas choked on that putt...yikes

Laley23

GOAT

Mon, Mar 5, 2018 3:15 AM

Don’t blame the cameramen! The regulars are still on a (union) strike. But yeah, the replacements since Hawaii have been subpar.

vball10set

paying it forward

Mon, Mar 5, 2018 7:46 AM
posted by Laley23

Don’t blame the cameramen! The regulars are still on a (union) strike. But yeah, the replacements since Hawaii have been subpar.

lol--I should have seen this coming...

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Mon, Mar 5, 2018 12:33 PM
posted by vball10set

jesus christ, JT, you're such a pussy...

http://thecomeback.com/golf/live-mic-picks-justin-thomas-fan-ejected-cheering.html

I can't believe a security guy would act on this.  Who the hell does this guy think he is dictating who stays and who goes.  I would have loved a security guy/official to say, "No one's getting thrown out.  You worry about your business and we'll worry about our."  I mean crap, Axel Rose used to pull crap like this. 

QuakerOats

Mon, Mar 5, 2018 3:14 PM

Glad for Phil ............pretty good guy.  Plus it's great when the 47 year olds beat the 24 year olds. :)