2020 Presidential Election thread

Home Forums Politics

gut

Thu, Jul 30, 2020 2:56 PM
posted by Heretic

...in-person voting is a matter of if a person can afford to wait indefinitely.

Almost everywhere has numerous opportunities for early voting.

As for fraud, I'm not really worried about it but I don't think you can dismiss the potential for progressive operatives filling out ballots for homeless people throughout the country.  There's no evidence of vote by mail fraud in a couple of blue states isn't exactly proof it won't happen in key swing states.

ptown_trojans_1

Thu, Jul 30, 2020 2:59 PM
posted by QuakerOats

A huge difference.

Take care.

PS - we should all vote on the same day, in person.  That way, we all have the same information as of the same day that we all vote together.  Imagine having upwards of 30 million votes cast by October 30th, and then on November 1st, Biden is indicted for bribery and racketeering and money laundering.  We would have a real problem.  We should all vote on the same day, in person, with ID's = 100% election integrity and no way for anyone to allege fraud.

If that is the case, then you are against absentee then? That is not in person. 

I also 100% predict if Trump loses this election, you are going to say it was rigged. 

I'm in agreement with a lot of people on here that I think if we are going use absentee, they should be requested by people and not just automatically sent to people. I also think this late in the year, I'm not sure states are ready and prepared for a flood of ballots that could take a while to count. 

gut

Thu, Jul 30, 2020 3:09 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

I'm in agreement with a lot of people on here that I think if we are going use absentee, they should be requested by people and not just automatically sent to people. I also think this late in the year, I'm not sure states are ready and prepared for a flood of ballots that could take a while to count. 

Seems like the best and most feasible solution would just be to expand early voting.

ptown_trojans_1

Thu, Jul 30, 2020 3:09 PM
posted by gut
Seems like the best and most feasible solution would just be to expand early voting.

100% agree. Also, states should be able to start counting the absentee ballots ahead of election day and then once the polls close, then announce the numbers. 

Some states do not start counting absentee ballots until the polls close. That is what takes states like CA forever to have their results. 

gut

Thu, Jul 30, 2020 3:16 PM

100% agree. Also, states should be able to start counting the absentee ballots ahead of election day and then once the polls close, then announce the numbers. 

Some states do not start counting absentee ballots until the polls close. That is what takes states like CA forever to have their results. 

I'm surprised no one has suggested Trump operatives could invalidate results with a little fraud themselves.  I mean, they've given us every other Trump conspiracy imaginable but somehow no one has considered that Trump's team could also commit fraud by mail.

It's mind boggling what could happen when you consider potentially 80% turnout vs. the more normal 50%.  Think about all those polls based on "likely voters" and then all these "independent?" voters suddenly come into the mix.

Automatik

Thu, Jul 30, 2020 3:29 PM
posted by QuakerOats

A huge difference.

Take care.

PS - we should all vote on the same day, in person.  That way, we all have the same information as of the same day that we all vote together.  Imagine having upwards of 30 million votes cast by October 30th, and then on November 1st, Biden is indicted for bribery and racketeering and money laundering.  We would have a real problem.  We should all vote on the same day, in person, with ID's = 100% election integrity and no way for anyone to allege fraud.

Feel free to elaborate.

ts1227

Thu, Jul 30, 2020 7:07 PM

At least in Ohio, it’s arguably easier to defraud the system in person. Since the ID law allows for stuff as flimsy as a bank statement, utility bill as long as the address matches, all you need is one of those and forge the signature in the poll book (which at least in the past you signed right next to a printout of the signature on file, so you are staring directly at what you’re trying to mimic) and you’re golden. Mail voting knocks those allowable non ID forms down (you have to know your drivers license number or there’s 1-2 other option), plus you can’t see the signature you’re trying to forge.

iclfan2

Reppin' the 330/216/843

Thu, Jul 30, 2020 7:37 PM

So Obama gave the eulogy for Lewis and talked politics?? Absurd. A funeral should not be a political. 

gut

Thu, Jul 30, 2020 7:38 PM
posted by iclfan2

So Obama gave the eulogy for Lewis and talked politics?? Absurd. A funeral should not be a political. 

Didn't Trump get ripped for doing something like that not long ago?

gut

Thu, Jul 30, 2020 7:40 PM
posted by ts1227

...so you are staring directly at what you’re trying to mimic) and you’re golden.

Unless you're extremely skilled, I highly doubt you can forge a passable signature in a few seconds just glancing at the original.  But I also doubt poll workers pay any attention.

gut

Thu, Jul 30, 2020 7:41 PM

Again, the real question is how will Russia manipulate vote by mail to steal the election for Trump?

ts1227

Thu, Jul 30, 2020 7:59 PM
posted by gut
Unless you're extremely skilled, I highly doubt you can forge a passable signature in a few seconds just glancing at the original.  But I also doubt poll workers pay any attention.

At this point I can’t even mimic my own damn signature from when I was 18, let alone someone else’s. 

But my general point is still that it seems easier to vote illegally in person in Ohio.

gut

Thu, Jul 30, 2020 8:09 PM
posted by ts1227

At this point I can’t even mimic my own damn signature from when I was 18, let alone someone else’s.

No kidding.  I wonder how much the average signature varies for people who don't make a living signing autographs.  Although even the professionals, I think, have only several small snippets of their signature used for authentication.

Devils Advocate

Brudda o da bomber

Thu, Jul 30, 2020 9:06 PM
posted by ts1227

But my general point is still that it seems easier to vote illegally in person in Ohio.

The last time I voted, I produced my fishing license for my ID. Hilarity ensued as the poll workers were unsure what to do. One old dude told me that I had to have a drivers license since he saw me drive in and I told him to go ahead and call the police because he would need them if he didn’t let me vote

Laley23

GOAT

Thu, Jul 30, 2020 10:26 PM

I can’t even come up with the same signature when I’m signing multiple pages in a row...like tax returns or loan statements etc.

Fab4Runner

Tits McGee

Thu, Jul 30, 2020 10:58 PM

I do not know how to sign my married name. I'm horrible at it and it looks like shit. My poll worker is a complete psycho about it and makes me do it multiple times until she thinks it looks right smh. 

ptown_trojans_1

Fri, Jul 31, 2020 9:47 AM
posted by gut

I'm surprised no one has suggested Trump operatives could invalidate results with a little fraud themselves.  I mean, they've given us every other Trump conspiracy imaginable but somehow no one has considered that Trump's team could also commit fraud by mail.

It's mind boggling what could happen when you consider potentially 80% turnout vs. the more normal 50%.  Think about all those polls based on "likely voters" and then all these "independent?" voters suddenly come into the mix.

Good point, but people are starting to look into how Trump could slow this down. 

Post story this morning about how the new Post Master General is slowing down the Post Office.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/postal-service-backlog-sparks-worries-that-ballot-delivery-could-be-delayed-in-november/2020/07/30/cb19f1f4-d1d0-11ea-8d32-1ebf4e9d8e0d_story.html?hpid=hp_politics1-8-12_uspsvote-804pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory-ans

gut

Fri, Jul 31, 2020 11:38 AM

Post story this morning about how the new Post Master General is slowing down the Post Office.

LMFAO.  I've been hearing that.  I'm sorry, but the leftwing media has become absolute trash.  Worse than they ever claimed Fox News to be.

ts1227

Fri, Jul 31, 2020 2:00 PM
posted by gut
LMFAO.  I've been hearing that.  I'm sorry, but the leftwing media has become absolute trash.  Worse than they ever claimed Fox News to be.

I can firsthand say there has been a difference in the past 1-2 months. I don’t sell a ton on eBay, but since we’ve moved in February I’ve had stuff selling there and on Facebook marketplace that we don’t need at the new place (and clothes the wife doesn’t want anymore) at a decent clip. 

It has gone from almost always beating the tracking estimate In the Spring (and at the height of the shutdowns) to always arriving 1-2 days late. I had one thing thing take 3 weeks to go to Illinois, which should take 2 days.

Whether it’s sabotage or not I’m not getting into, but they definitely fucked the system up

gut

Fri, Jul 31, 2020 2:04 PM
posted by ts1227

Whether it’s sabotage or not I’m not getting into, but they definitely fucked the system up

I don't dispute that there isn't a real slowdown.  But an intentional slowdown to disrupt vote by mail is a conspiracy that would make Alex Jones blush.  Yet it's straight faced, mainstream reporting as if it's fact.

It's fucking disgusting.  You don't have to be a Trump supporter to acknowledge what an absolute dumpster fire media has become.

Heretic

Son of the Sun

Fri, Jul 31, 2020 2:24 PM

posted by ts1227

I can firsthand say there has been a difference in the past 1-2 months. I don’t sell a ton on eBay, but since we’ve moved in February I’ve had stuff selling there and on Facebook marketplace that we don’t need at the new place (and clothes the wife doesn’t want anymore) at a decent clip. 

It has gone from almost always beating the tracking estimate In the Spring (and at the height of the shutdowns) to always arriving 1-2 days late. I had one thing thing take 3 weeks to go to Illinois, which should take 2 days.

It's been a bit weird, from what I've observed. My mom mentioned she had a day where it looked like the local post office must have sent her everything that had been piling up for a week or so all at once (stuff like catalogs and other more mass delivery stuff. And she had me checking online to track a package for her because it'd been like 3-4 weeks to get something sent from only a couple states over. But as for myself, the closest thing I've noticed is that with my last Amazon order of random stuff, one package came a few days after the others.

ptown_trojans_1

Fri, Jul 31, 2020 2:44 PM
posted by gut

I don't dispute that there isn't a real slowdown.  But an intentional slowdown to disrupt vote by mail is a conspiracy that would make Alex Jones blush.  Yet it's straight faced, mainstream reporting as if it's fact.

It's fucking disgusting.  You don't have to be a Trump supporter to acknowledge what an absolute dumpster fire media has become.

Yeah, I read the story and thought it was interesting to at least bring it up regarding if we have a lot of mail in ballots, there could be a slow down. I agree it may be a stretch to say it was because of the new Trump appointed head. Unless we get direct evidence of that, then yeah, it is a stretch. 

On another note, I thought it was hilarious today that the White House called out China in Hong Kong for their news they delayed their election. Kinda hard to criticize China when the President was advocating for doing the same thing yesterday....

Automatik

Fri, Jul 31, 2020 2:49 PM

USPS has always been trash, and it's even worse now. I just got a package from Cali yesterday, shipped on July 6th!

I deal with all forms of shipping at work, USPS, FedEx, and UPS. I've had recent issues with all of them. They just blame COVID and that's that. I don't understand it.

gut

Fri, Jul 31, 2020 2:50 PM

On another note, I thought it was hilarious today that the White House called out China in Hong Kong for their news they delayed their election. Kinda hard to criticize China when the President was advocating for doing the same thing yesterday....

Yes, he's an absolute clown.

And it feels like a familiar theme - Trump is an incompetent moron, yet he hatches sophisticated schemes to thwart vote by mail, or dog whistles in the suburbs.

gut

Fri, Jul 31, 2020 2:52 PM
posted by Automatik

USPS has always been trash, and it's even worse now. I just got a package from Cali yesterday, shipped on July 6th!

They lost a package that I returned.  Fortunately I insured at seller's direction.  Been a week since I submitted a search request.  Wondering how long before I get my money.