Official 2018 World Cup Thread

Home Forums Sports

Laley23

GOAT

Thu, Jun 7, 2018 5:46 PM

The Ghana bribery story is wild. Not the least bit surprising, but wild. Wish they had done this in Europe as well, to see how far across the globe the bribery goes (we all know it’s 100%).

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Wed, Jun 13, 2018 7:10 AM

USA, Canada, Mexico has won the 2026 World Cup bid. 

Laley23

GOAT

Wed, Jun 13, 2018 8:12 AM

Kyliann Mbappe hurt himself in training. Bad news for France.

Spain has fired their coach, a day after he accepted the Real Madrid position (was set to take over there when WC was done). Odd, odd timing. Can’t imagine this is good news for the Spanish side.

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Wed, Jun 13, 2018 8:39 AM
posted by Laley23

Kyliann Mbappe hurt himself in training. Bad news for France.

Spain has fired their coach, a day after he accepted the Real Madrid position (was set to take over there when WC was done). Odd, odd timing. Can’t imagine this is good news for the Spanish side.

Two teams (especially France) I prefer not to see win, so I am fine with this.

Automatik

Wed, Jun 13, 2018 9:13 AM

Hoping to bounce early on Friday to at least catch the 2nd half of Spain/Portugal.

Also looking forward to Germany/Mexico on Sunday. 

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Wed, Jun 13, 2018 9:35 AM
posted by vball10set

piggybacking on wildcats20's post...

http://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world-cup/story/3522327/2026-world-cup-us-mexico-canada-joint-bid-wins-fifa-hosting-vote

I should be excited about this, but I still have a bad taste from Qatar hosting next WC and the USMNT currently out of this one.   I still 100% believe a country should not be eligible for hosting the WC if they have never qualified. 

Edit:  Also, if 3 countries are hosting it in 2026, does that mean FIFA is legitimately looking at expanding the WC?  You're looking at three teams from the same confederation getting automatic bids.  

Automatik

Wed, Jun 13, 2018 9:36 AM

Qatar one starts in mid-November. NFL in full swing and the Euro leagues will be on a forced break. Weird.

QuakerOats

Wed, Jun 13, 2018 9:51 AM

Will not be watching, but go Iceland! 

Automatik

Wed, Jun 13, 2018 9:56 AM

Spain fires coach 2 days before their first match because he took the real job and didn't tell anyone they were in contact prior. lol

Laley23

GOAT

Wed, Jun 13, 2018 10:07 AM
posted by like_that

I should be excited about this, but I still have a bad taste from Qatar hosting next WC and the USMNT currently out of this one.   I still 100% believe a country should not be eligible for hosting the WC if they have never qualified. 

Edit:  Also, if 3 countries are hosting it in 2026, does that mean FIFA is legitimately looking at expanding the WC?  You're looking at three teams from the same confederation getting automatic bids.  

No "looking to expand" about it. Its a done deal. 48 teams in 2026. 

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Wed, Jun 13, 2018 10:20 AM
posted by Laley23

No "looking to expand" about it. Its a done deal. 48 teams in 2026. 

Really?  I did a search earlier and couldn't find a link.  Can you share?

Laley23

GOAT

Wed, Jun 13, 2018 10:26 AM
posted by like_that

Really?  I did a search earlier and couldn't find a link.  Can you share?

It was well over a year ago. They just recently decided NOT to expand for 2022. But 2026 has long been known for 48 teams. The entire proposal was based on it, and the amount of venues needed.

https://www.fifa.com/about-fifa/news/y=2017/m=1/news=fifa-council-unanimously-decides-on-expansion-of-the-fifa-world-cuptm--2863100.html

slingshot4ever

Wed, Jun 13, 2018 10:27 AM

It is a 48 team format.  16 groups of 3.  Top 2 in each group move to a 32 team knock out round.  Eventually champ still only plays 7 matches....one less in group play and one more in knock out round 

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Wed, Jun 13, 2018 10:28 AM
posted by Laley23

It was well over a year ago. They just recently decided NOT to expand for 2022. But 2026 has long been known for 48 teams. The entire proposal was based on it, and the amount of venues needed.

https://www.fifa.com/about-fifa/news/y=2017/m=1/news=fifa-council-unanimously-decides-on-expansion-of-the-fifa-world-cuptm--2863100.html

Thanks, I guessed I missed all of this.  I thought it was still being discussed.  I assume they haven't allocated the extra spots to the confederations yet?  it will be interesting to see how some confederations tweak their qualifications. 

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Wed, Jun 13, 2018 10:31 AM
posted by like_that

Thanks, I guessed I missed all of this.  I thought it was still being discussed.  I assume they haven't allocated the extra spots to the confederations yet?  it will be interesting to see how some confederations tweak their qualifications. 

Laley23

GOAT

Wed, Jun 13, 2018 10:40 AM
posted by like_that

Yeah, they have:

• UEFA - 16
  • AFC - 8
  • CAF - 9
  • CONCACAF - 6
  • COMNEBOL - 6
  • OFC - 1
  • 2 Playoff Spots (1 from each region will participate)

cat_lover

Thu, Jun 14, 2018 1:47 PM

World Cup 2018 starts off with Russia beating Saudi Arabia 5-0.

Laley23

GOAT

Thu, Jun 14, 2018 5:16 PM

Helps my pool where I have Russia advancing. Not great for my eyes, who want to see Salah play as many games as possible.

SportsAndLady

Fri, Jun 15, 2018 7:27 AM
posted by Laley23

Helps my pool where I have Russia advancing. Not great for my eyes, who want to see Salah play as many games as possible.

Why would Russia/Saudi Arabia have anything to do with Salah?

Automatik

Fri, Jun 15, 2018 8:20 AM

He's on the bench right now. Soccer injury coverage is annoying. One day he's completely fucked, yesterday he's "near 100%", today he's sitting.

cat_lover

Fri, Jun 15, 2018 9:59 AM

Uruguay wins 1-0. Uruguay had plenty of good scoring chances and finally scored with less than a minute to go.

Iliketurtles

Fri, Jun 15, 2018 3:47 PM

If you haven't been watching or didn't get a chance to watch this Portugal/Spain match... you've missed out on what will probably be the best match of the World Cup. I shouldn't be shocked that Ronaldo made that free kick to tie it but I was. Simply amazing. 

Automatik

Fri, Jun 15, 2018 4:06 PM

Awesome game. Loved the Costa goal too with a little elbow to the face prior. 

SportsAndLady

Fri, Jun 15, 2018 4:06 PM

I’m a big Messi fan, but you’re smoking some crack-cocaine if you don’t think Ronaldo is the best player in the world.