NFL Playoff Thread

Home Forums Sports

Spock

Mon, Jan 21, 2019 10:05 PM

NFL refs make about $15,000 a game.  Playoffs likely a lot more.  For that money....they shouldn't miss a call that anyone can see.

thavoice

Mon, Jan 21, 2019 10:09 PM
posted by Ironman92

The refs were terrible in NFC Championship. I was rooting for the Saints but this worst non call ever.....watching it live it looked bang bang per our given camera angle. When it’s seemingly bang bang the refs almost always allow it. Replay showed it was a missed call. The ball isn’t coming directly to the receiver and that creates a bit more deception of how early the defender was. He was early and the call was missed at it was colossal.

I dont think it looked bang bang at the time.   Plus it was head to head and I saw less called during the regular season.     

They did kind of hose themselves on how they called plays down there but man, calls lke that cannot be made in the NFL.   

Ironman92

Administrator

Mon, Jan 21, 2019 10:14 PM

Referees always going to miss calls. Expecting perfection is silly on any aspect of it. Hell they’ve messed fucking heads or tails.

Bot a lot of reasons why another official couldn’t be up in a booth and watching game like everyone else and watching replays just like they show us. He could buzz down and fix virtually any call throughout the game.

Verbal Kint

Mon, Jan 21, 2019 10:16 PM
posted by Spock

NFL refs make about $15,000 a game.  Playoffs likely a lot more.  For that money....they shouldn't miss a call that anyone can see.

Well, it is an average of $10,500 per game.  

thavoice

Mon, Jan 21, 2019 10:18 PM
posted by Ironman92

Referees always going to miss calls. Expecting perfection is silly on any aspect of it. Hell they’ve messed fucking heads or tails.

Bot a lot of reasons why another official couldn’t be up in a booth and watching game like everyone else and watching replays just like they show us. He could buzz down and fix virtually any call throughout the game.

Ha. I was at that messed up heads/tails game on thanksgiving.  

I dont want any more interruptions, but I am waning in that stance and willing to allow them to buzz down in the last part of the 4th qtr, basically a point in the game where it makes it almost impossible for teams to make up for a bad call.  Early in the game, it can be made up by teams. I dont want it to be like college where they buzz down on fringe plays

Verbal Kint

Mon, Jan 21, 2019 10:29 PM
posted by thavoice

Ha. I was at that messed up heads/tails game on thanksgiving.  

The "Hea-Tails" call by Bettis?

thavoice

Mon, Jan 21, 2019 10:37 PM
posted by Verbal Kint

The "Hea-Tails" call by Bettis?

Yeah. At the time I could see Bettis getting adamant about something but of course we knew nothing about the controversy until we got home later that day.

BR1986FB

Tue, Jan 22, 2019 12:09 PM

Thoughts?

The MMQB@theMMQB

After Sunday’s officiating debacle, the league must adopt Bill Belichick’s idea to make all plays reviewable, and streamline replay technology. @AlbertBreer on the fallout from championship weekend, and what comes next:http://go.si.com/p5emjQC 

8:30 AM - Jan 21, 2019

Ironman92

Administrator

Tue, Jan 22, 2019 12:34 PM

Verbal Kint

Tue, Jan 22, 2019 1:07 PM
posted by BR1986FB

Thoughts?

The MMQB@theMMQB

After Sunday’s officiating debacle, the league must adopt Bill Belichick’s idea to make all plays reviewable, and streamline replay technology. @AlbertBreer on the fallout from championship weekend, and what comes next:http://go.si.com/p5emjQC 

8:30 AM - Jan 21, 2019

Appears to work okay for the Canadians

Heretic

Son of the Sun

Tue, Jan 22, 2019 1:36 PM

Tuck rule was more a BS interpretation of a BS obscure rule that no one seemed to know about, although it did exist. Much like when Polamalu got fucked out of an interception against the Colts in the playoffs because of the "make a football move" rule, where apparently catching the ball and going to the ground didn't count as such. Where, by the letter of the law, it may have been the right call, but the logic behind it just seemed fucked in the head.

This was simply a horrible miss of a very obvious infraction. Technically two infractions, I guess, as it was both PI and helmet-to-helmet. To me, it may be because it's just the most recent bad call, but it feels like it could be the worst, simply because of how obvious the penalty was, the timing of the no-call, the end result of the game and the simple fact that you have refs making all these ticky-tack calls, 50/50 calls and so on (not saying they're "wrong" calls, but just that they are subtle penalties that may not have even had a real impact on the play) and then go completely blind when a glaringly blatant penalty is committed.

Commander of Awesome

Senior Pwner

Tue, Jan 22, 2019 3:44 PM
posted by like_that

NFL Live is currently debating if the Saints/Rams no call is the worst call/no call in NFL history.  Agree/Disagree?  I can't think of anything else that would top it, except tuck rule and I think it easily tops the tuck rule.

Umm disagree. Ever hear of bottlegate?

Laley23

GOAT

Tue, Jan 22, 2019 4:11 PM
posted by Commander of Awesome

That was terrible. I wouldn’t call it a “call” on the field, though. I’m still not sure how they were allowed to eliminate a play and reverse that.

Commander of Awesome

Senior Pwner

Tue, Jan 22, 2019 4:16 PM
posted by Laley23

That was terrible. I wouldn’t call it a “call” on the field, though. I’m still not sure how they were allowed to eliminate a play and reverse that.

If it's not a call on the field, what would you call it then? The ref made a call to review a previous play that happened before the last play, then overturn the ruling on the field.

Heretic

Son of the Sun

Tue, Jan 22, 2019 6:07 PM
posted by Commander of Awesome

I'd say "call that plays huge role in deciding conference championship game" probably outranks "play that likely turned an 8-8 team into a 7-9 one when the playoffs weren't a possibility unless they had 10 wins" in any "all time worst" discussion that doesn't begin and end with NE Ohio people.

Commander of Awesome

Senior Pwner

Tue, Jan 22, 2019 6:11 PM
posted by Heretic

I'd say "call that plays huge role in deciding conference championship game" probably outranks "play that likely turned an 8-8 team into a 7-9 one when the playoffs weren't a possibility unless they had 10 wins" in any "all time worst" discussion that doesn't begin and end with NE Ohio people.

thavoice

Tue, Jan 22, 2019 7:55 PM

If they would institute a rule that you can challenge a PI call, then what happens when they didnt call anything like in the game in question?  You would almost HAVE to include the provision that they can challenge a call, or no call, in regards to PI.

With that said, I doubt they would overrule many PI calls.  There is a lot of contact especially on the 9 routes down the sideline.  If the defense challenges a PI call, it would be hard pressed for them to be overturned because of the amount of contact there is.  I would almost have to believe that there are more egregious NO CALLS according to the rules than vice versa.

They HAVE to include no calls to be challenged as PI< if not then the rule would fall short, some other team would get screwed before it gets changed once against to include that provision.

BRF

Tue, Jan 22, 2019 8:46 PM

Something that baffled me about bottlegate was that they were actually selling beer bottles to the fans instead of cups, albeit they were plastic.  It was said that many contained piss.

I rewatched that whole fiasco recently on YouTube.  What a clusterfuck.

SportsAndLady

Tue, Jan 22, 2019 8:56 PM

Bottlegate was my first browns game I ever attended. Threw a hot dog

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Tue, Jan 22, 2019 9:02 PM
posted by BRF

Something that baffled me about bottlegate was that they were actually selling beer bottles to the fans instead of cups, albeit they were plastic.  It was said that many contained piss.

Also, one of the refs got hit by a clock.  wtf lol?

I still don't feel bad for them.  I recall Carmen Policy defending the fans too, which I liked.  

thavoice

Tue, Jan 22, 2019 9:14 PM

Always a classic..

thavoice

Tue, Jan 22, 2019 9:17 PM
posted by BRF

That wasn't unusual at the time.   I remember going to games after that in Cincy and Pittsburgh and they would still sell them but always took the caps off and called it the Cleveland Rule. 

SportsAndLady

Tue, Jan 22, 2019 10:04 PM

My friend said he heard an idea of getting rid of the Pro Bowl, and instead having the two worst teams in the NFL play each other for the #1 pick. Lol great idea

thavoice

Tue, Jan 22, 2019 10:25 PM
posted by SportsAndLady

My friend said he heard an idea of getting rid of the Pro Bowl, and instead having the two worst teams in the NFL play each other for the #1 pick. Lol great idea

Genius.  Similar to 2 different ideas I had heard about how to deternine the top NBA pick.  Worst two teams do a best of three, winner gets the top pick or take the 5 worst record teams at the 75 game mark of the season and use the best records the last 7 games to determine the first 5 picks.

Pro Bowl sucks, no doubt about that and a travesty to the game.  We all hope our players just dont get hurt, or better yet, dont even play.   Fact is, enough people watch it to make it worth it for ESPN

Last years pro bowl drew more viewers than most of the NBA conference finals games.