2020 NFL Preseason

Home Forums Sports

BR1986FB

Tue, Mar 24, 2020 1:17 PM
posted by justincredible

Carolina signs the best player from the XFL, PJ Walker, the QB from Houston. Apparently he has a connection with Matt Rhule, I think he played for him in college.

And.....Cam Newton is just released. Couldn't find any takers in a trade.

BR1986FB

Wed, Mar 25, 2020 5:08 PM
posted by friendfromlowry

Nobody to the Bengals, per usual. 

Things obviously change as Ebenezer Scrooge Brown has opened up his wallet and made some surprisingly solid moves with the most recent being the Vonn Bell signing today. Must want to impress Joe Burrow?

BR1986FB

Wed, Mar 25, 2020 7:11 PM

Also find it interesting that QB's like Cam Newton, Jameis Winston, Andy Dalton & Joe Flacco are still available. Excluding Flacco, any one of the first three would be considered the #1 QB in free agency in a normal year. It's just crazy all of the QB's that were available or moved this offseason.

Laley23

GOAT

Wed, Mar 25, 2020 7:25 PM

Jameis is going to be real good if he ever cuts down on his INTs. Stunned nobody is taking a chance on him.

BR1986FB

Wed, Mar 25, 2020 8:49 PM
posted by Laley23

Jameis is going to be real good if he ever cuts down on his INTs. Stunned nobody is taking a chance on him.

I keep hearing that Pittsburgh would be the ideal landing spot. Frankly, I'm surprised the Jags are putting all their eggs in Minshew's basket. Cam might be a solid fit there. I also didn't think the Hoodie would want to drop off to a 4-5 win team (maybe tanking, I know Hoodie doesn't tank, for Trevor Lawrence?) but apparently they like Stidham plus they are kind of in cap Hell. Thought Dalton might be plug & play in NE.

thavoice

Thu, Mar 26, 2020 9:07 AM
posted by BR1986FB

I keep hearing that Pittsburgh would be the ideal landing spot. Frankly, I'm surprised the Jags are putting all their eggs in Minshew's basket. Cam might be a solid fit there. I also didn't think the Hoodie would want to drop off to a 4-5 win team (maybe tanking, I know Hoodie doesn't tank, for Trevor Lawrence?) but apparently they like Stidham plus they are kind of in cap Hell. Thought Dalton might be plug & play in NE.

PItt does need a backup QB, but the price tag would be too high for those QBS.

They will have to wait to see what QB gets a bit too antsy and just wants to sign some place.   None of them, sans FLacco, will go any place where they dont at least get told they will compete for a spot, until the writing is on the wall later inthe FA season.

BR1986FB

Thu, Mar 26, 2020 9:35 AM
posted by thavoice

PItt does need a backup QB, but the price tag would be too high for those QBS.

They will have to wait to see what QB gets a bit too antsy and just wants to sign some place.   None of them, sans FLacco, will go any place where they dont at least get told they will compete for a spot, until the writing is on the wall later inthe FA season.

Right now it's QB musical chairs and the QB's available are without seats. Guys like Jameis are going to have to take 1-2 year deals and I'd imagine at deep discounts.

Laley23

GOAT

Thu, Mar 26, 2020 10:12 AM

Imagine leading the league in passing yards with 30 TDs to go along with it...and not getting a roster spot. 

thavoice

Thu, Mar 26, 2020 10:41 AM
posted by Laley23

Imagine leading the league in passing yards with 30 TDs to go along with it...and not getting a roster spot. 

Just depend on how much pride he wants to swallow with contract demands.

Didnt get to watch him much but apparently he has the tools, jsut needs to be smarter with the ball.  

We see this a lot though, a big flurry when FA opens and then a dead period for a bit.  

BR1986FB

Tue, Mar 31, 2020 1:00 PM

Just heard that Miami plans on going all in, trying to trade up to #1 with the Bengals.

Also saw where Cincy released Dre Kirkpatrick.

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Tue, Mar 31, 2020 1:02 PM
posted by BR1986FB

Just heard that Miami plans on going all in, trying to trade up to #1 with the Bengals.

Also saw where Cincy released Dre Kirkpatrick.

They've got a ton of draft capital, they certainly have the best shot at it. Bengals would have to seriously consider picks #5, #18, #26. I'd ask for a 2021 1st rounder as well.

BR1986FB

Tue, Mar 31, 2020 1:12 PM
posted by justincredible

They've got a ton of draft capital, they certainly have the best shot at it. Bengals would have to seriously consider picks #5, #18, #26. I'd ask for a 2021 1st rounder as well.

I mean it might not be a terrible idea. They could either use #5 on a QB or load up and roll with the Ginger Water Pistol for another year. I think Burrow is very good but I'm not 100% sold on him being elite.

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Tue, Mar 31, 2020 1:15 PM

If a team like Miami is willing to throw 3 or 4 1st rounders my way I'd gladly pass on Burrow. He's good, but I don't think he's THAT good.

gut

Tue, Mar 31, 2020 1:29 PM
posted by justincredible

If a team like Miami is willing to throw 3 or 4 1st rounders my way I'd gladly pass on Burrow. He's good, but I don't think he's THAT good.

I don't know.  Certainly no QB is can't-miss, but Burrow is in class/level that's almost too foolish to pass on.  A comp rate of 57.7% in 2018 does give you pause, but even with mismatches all over the field in 2019 he still consistently put the ball into impossible windows.  The accuracy/throws he showed last year is pretty rare.  There are definitely future busts that were really just system guys or guys carried by a wealth of mismatch talent, but I don't think Burrow is one of those guys.

That said, it's no longer as crucial to have a HOF-level QB to win a SB.  So there probably is an actual price for Burrow in today's league, where 10-15 years there's not a remotely realistic offer you'd take for the rights to a guy like that.

BR1986FB

Tue, Mar 31, 2020 2:31 PM

Assuming the season is played this year, the league voted to expand to 7 playoff teams in each conference...3 wildcards with the #1 seed getting the bye. Was obviously talked about but now confirmed.

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Tue, Mar 31, 2020 2:47 PM
posted by BR1986FB

Assuming the season is played this year, the league voted to expand to 7 playoff teams in each conference...3 wildcards with the #1 seed getting the bye. Was obviously talked about but now confirmed.

gut

Tue, Mar 31, 2020 4:17 PM
posted by BR1986FB

Well, I suppose I should be happy because I think the 5 times PIT missed the playoffs the last 12 years or whatever they would have been the 7th seed.

I don't like the competitive balance of 1 bye.  But I think the advantage comes mostly from one less game facing elimination, and one more week to rest and get healthy.  The rust definitely shows, though, and has caught more than a few teams.

I'm sure before long they eventually go to 8 teams, and then you've really marginalized the regular season.  Becomes a much tougher decision to play a guy who's hurt when it only potentially affects seeding and not making the post-season.

Laley23

GOAT

Tue, Mar 31, 2020 10:42 PM
posted by gut

Well, I suppose I should be happy because I think the 5 times PIT missed the playoffs the last 12 years or whatever they would have been the 7th seed.

I don't like the competitive balance of 1 bye.  But I think the advantage comes mostly from one less game facing elimination, and one more week to rest and get healthy.  The rust definitely shows, though, and has caught more than a few teams.

I'm sure before long they eventually go to 8 teams, and then you've really marginalized the regular season.  Becomes a much tougher decision to play a guy who's hurt when it only potentially affects seeding and not making the post-season.

The last like 7 SB winners had a bye. It doesn’t bite anyone outside of occasional randomness. It’s a huge advantage. I would venture more teams with a bye have won the SB than have lost their first game. 

Laley23

GOAT

Tue, Mar 31, 2020 10:50 PM
posted by gut

That said, it's no longer as crucial to have a HOF-level QB to win a SB.  So there probably is an actual price for Burrow in today's league, where 10-15 years there's not a remotely realistic offer you'd take for the rights to a guy like that.

Which QB the last 15ish years says this is true?

• Brady
  • Mahomes
  • Wilson
  • Manning
  • Manning
  • Roethlisberger
  • Flacco
  • Foles
  • Rodgers
  • Brees

I count 2. You’ve always been able to get it done without a HOFer at QB. Brad Johnson, Dilfer SNF maybe a few others. But if anything, it was more prevalent before the last 15 years. 

Laley23

GOAT

Tue, Mar 31, 2020 10:51 PM
posted by justincredible

Take it from the Browns...don’t pass up on the top QB. You’ll look foolish for years. 

Ironman92

Administrator

Tue, Mar 31, 2020 10:54 PM

Bengals can’t pass on Burrow. Period.

SportsAndLady

Tue, Mar 31, 2020 11:45 PM

Burrow is great, but he’s not a sure thing (no one is). He had one great year in college and practically that entire offense is going to the NFL, and the passing game coordinator wasn’t there his junior year when he looked pedestrian. 
If the Bengals could trade back to 5, get an Okudah at 5, a WR at 18, and an OT at 26 (getting all 3 of those picks from the dolphins), and then sign cam newton, how do they pass that up? 

Laley23

GOAT

Tue, Mar 31, 2020 11:50 PM
posted by SportsAndLady

Burrow is great, but he’s not a sure thing (no one is). He had one great year in college and practically that entire offense is going to the NFL, and the passing game coordinator wasn’t there his junior year when he looked pedestrian. 
If the Bengals could trade back to 5, get an Okudah at 5, a WR at 18, and an OT at 26 (getting all 3 of those picks from the dolphins), and then sign cam newton, how do they pass that up? 

If this was the Browns, I feel you’d be posting the opposite, have to take the QB. Nothing else matters until then.

SportsAndLady

Tue, Mar 31, 2020 11:57 PM
posted by Laley23

If this was the Browns, I feel you’d be posting the opposite, have to take the QB. Nothing else matters until then.

I’m a new poster on here, not sure how youd know my football drafting history! 
Im just saying, if the dolphins would give them 3 first rounders this year and they could sign a very good free agent QB, it’d be tough to turn that down. 
My issue with the browns doing that would have been they wouldn’t have signed any QB and would have trotted out deshone kizer and Kessler as their starters. 

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Wed, Apr 1, 2020 10:35 AM

If I'm the Bengals, I request all 2020 (3) and 2021 (2) 1st rounders from Miami. Does Miami go for that?