2020 Browns

Home Forums Sports

BR1986FB

Wed, May 13, 2020 1:04 PM

Man, with this Covid situation, some of these people must have a lot of boredom. First the Myles Garrett to Seattle joke of a rumor and now Chris Simms has come out and said that before the 2018 draft the Seahawks reached out to the Browns offering Russell Wilson for the number 1 pick, which ended up being Mayfield. Not sure if anything else was asked for by Seattle (assume so) but if it was straight up, the Browns were idiots (if the rumor's true) and this is from someone who thinks Mayfield is going to be very good.

BR1986FB

Wed, May 13, 2020 1:07 PM
posted by SportsAndLady

That would make no sense. Spend the 10th pick on a LT of the future, and immediately sign a LT and move that pick to guard? Absolutely no way they do that. 

Now, adding peters for depth, I can see that. And would love that. Especially for the mentoring reason. 

Considering Wills played RT to protect Tua's blind side, it likely wouldn't be a difficult transition sliding to RG. Pretty sure HOFer Jonathan Ogden played RG his rookie year before sliding to LT.

It would make sense in that this team is still in "win now" mode with contract extensions on the horizon for Garrett, Ward, Mayfield, Chubb, etc. I doubt they keep them all.

SportsAndLady

Wed, May 13, 2020 2:25 PM
posted by BR1986FB

Considering Wills played RT to protect Tua's blind side, it likely wouldn't be a difficult transition sliding to RG. Pretty sure HOFer Jonathan Ogden played RG his rookie year before sliding to LT.

It would make sense in that this team is still in "win now" mode with contract extensions on the horizon for Garrett, Ward, Mayfield, Chubb, etc. I doubt they keep them all.

My point is you don’t draft a tackle to just move to guard because a 38 year old tackle is coming for a year to play his position.
I WOULD like Peters if it is for depth/rotational usage, and to help mentor Wills. But that probably won’t get Peters to sign here. 

BR1986FB

Wed, May 13, 2020 2:50 PM
posted by SportsAndLady

My point is you don’t draft a tackle to just move to guard because a 38 year old tackle is coming for a year to play his position.
I WOULD like Peters if it is for depth/rotational usage, and to help mentor Wills. But that probably won’t get Peters to sign here. 

Oh, I know that's not the intention but if they are going after Peters, I'd rather he be on the field versus paid a boatload to be a backup.

Al Bundy

Wed, May 13, 2020 9:44 PM
posted by SportsAndLady

In a normal year, I agree with you. If camp gets shortened significantly, I worry about a rookie adjusting to left tackle. I still think that the long term plan is for him to play left tackle, but I would be fine if Peters started the season there.

BR1986FB

Wed, May 13, 2020 9:55 PM
posted by Al Bundy

In a normal year, I agree with you. If camp gets shortened significantly, I worry about a rookie adjusting to left tackle. I still think that the long term plan is for him to play left tackle, but I would be fine if Peters started the season there.

And this is why I thought the Bengals were stupid to dump Andy Dalton. I know the #1 pick (Burrow) should be out there but we're dealing with a different animal this year. With a possible shortened camp, etc he's going to get thrown in the fire real quickly.

I agree with you on a rookie at LT. Will's only saving grace is that he'll have a good LG (Bitonio) next to him. I think that helped Joe Thomas a helluva lot having Steinbach next to him his rookie year.

BR1986FB

Tue, Jun 9, 2020 8:54 AM

Just to show the utter boredom in my sports world, a guy who posts on the OBR has simulated the Browns season. So far, they are 10-4. I just watched the the MNF Ravens game and I haven't watched the Giants game. If the record isn't surprising enough, apparently they haven't updated all features as the image of KFF is still the head coach.

BR1986FB

Sun, Jun 14, 2020 1:38 PM
posted by BR1986FB

Just to show the utter boredom in my sports world, a guy who posts on the OBR has simulated the Browns season. So far, they are 10-4. I just watched the the MNF Ravens game and I haven't watched the Giants game. If the record isn't surprising enough, apparently they haven't updated all features as the image of KFF is still the head coach.

The guy who simulated this on Madden & EA Sports just concluded the season. After manhandling Miami, Baltimore & Indy in the playoffs, the Browns fall to Tom Brady and Tampa Bay in Super Bowl 55 in overtime on a Baker Mayfield pick 6. Oh if this were only reality. LOL...as a side note, Baltimore, Cincy & Cleveland all make the playoffs with Pittsburgh going 3-13

BR1986FB

Wed, Jun 17, 2020 9:42 PM

Interesting that Kareem Hunt is in the mix to be the 3rd WR behind Landry/OBJ.

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Thu, Jun 18, 2020 5:20 AM
posted by BR1986FB

Interesting that Kareem Hunt is in the mix to be the 3rd WR behind Landry/OBJ.

Where do you see that? I don’t understand this if true. We have good WR depth (including TEs).

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Thu, Jun 18, 2020 7:50 AM
posted by BR1986FB

3rd receiver isn't going to be a big deal as TE's will be heavily in the mix in this offense.

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Article/Browns-Chad-OShea-Says-No-Decision-Has-Been-Made-On-The-Third-Receiver-But-Kareem-Hunt-Is-in-The-Mix-148274252/

Interesting.  I'd much rather have him catch out of the backfield. It's crazy a lot of people have forgotten about Hunt.  That is how good Chubb is, but I think Hunt is going to have a big impact this season, especially since he is healthy and has a full offseason. 

BR1986FB

Thu, Jun 18, 2020 8:45 AM
posted by like_that

Interesting.  I'd much rather have him catch out of the backfield. It's crazy a lot of people have forgotten about Hunt.  That is how good Chubb is, but I think Hunt is going to have a big impact this season, especially since he is healthy and has a full offseason. 

They have two RB's who could legitimately win a rushing title. Hunt won't carry the load but I'm pretty sure he's already won a rushing title and Chubb should've last year if KFF had used him correctly.

Laley23

GOAT

Thu, Jun 18, 2020 9:37 AM

Hunt lined up in the slot with Chubb in the backfield a bit last year. I’d rather they both line up in the backfield and get more creative, but Hunt is so good running routes and catching it isn’t a horrible option. Would rather a WR get the designation and most opportunities, and have this be more a change of pace type thing.

BR1986FB

Thu, Jun 18, 2020 9:41 AM

They don't really have a proven #3 but I'd think they should be fine with Higgins and (hopefully) Peoples-Jones. I think Higgins will bounce back this year with Freddie gone.

What I'll be interested to see is how much of a "run first" offense Stefanski will run. Switching to the running game was mandated by Zimmer more than it was Stefanski's idea. Just wonder if we'll see more passing now that Stefanski is running his own show. I hope he sticks to the running game.

Al Bundy

Thu, Jun 18, 2020 6:49 PM

Depending upon how many 2-back formations they use, sliding him out to slot at times could make some difficult personal decisions for the defense. It is also possible that Peoples-Jones will be a rookie without a camp to adjust to the NFL, and Higgins hasn't been very reliable so far in his career.

Al Bundy

Thu, Jun 18, 2020 6:49 PM

Depending upon how many 2-back formations they use, sliding him out to slot at times could make some difficult personal decisions for the defense. It is also possible that Peoples-Jones will be a rookie without a camp to adjust to the NFL, and Higgins hasn't been very reliable so far in his career.

BR1986FB

Thu, Jun 18, 2020 10:07 PM
posted by Al Bundy

It is also possible that Peoples-Jones will be a rookie without a camp to adjust to the NFL, and Higgins hasn't been very reliable so far in his career.

Also valid points. I can't speak for Stefanski & Co but the impression I've had is that this will be a VERY TE heavy offense, with 3 TE's on the field at times. Between OBJ, Landry, Hooper and Njoku, they should be able to create mismatches, buying time for Peoples-Jones and the rookie TE (Bryant) to get up to speed. Hunt & Higgins will just be the cherries on top of the sundae, so to speak. This is all assume a) the season starts on time and b) both Landry & OBJ are physically ready.

gut

Sat, Jun 20, 2020 8:38 PM
posted by BR1986FB

This is all assume a) the season starts on time and b) both Landry & OBJ are physically ready.

I hope we have a season, but I think it's shaping up to be not that "competitive".  By that I mean, looking at baseball and hockey players getting Covid-19, if NFL players aren't going to be isolated I could see losing up to 25% of the roster for a few weeks throughout the year.  A team having all its best players at once might be pretty rare.

There's no way a bunch of young rich guys are going to isolate themselves off the field, and I'm not sure the players with families would be any less likely to get it.  The teams with the most discipline to quarantine off the field might have a big advantage when it comes to making the playoffs.

BR1986FB

Sat, Jun 20, 2020 10:55 PM
posted by gut

I hope we have a season, but I think it's shaping up to be not that "competitive".  By that I mean, looking at baseball and hockey players getting Covid-19, if NFL players aren't going to be isolated I could see losing up to 25% of the roster for a few weeks throughout the year.  A team having all its best players at once might be pretty rare.

There's no way a bunch of young rich guys are going to isolate themselves off the field, and I'm not sure the players with families would be any less likely to get it.  The teams with the most discipline to quarantine off the field might have a big advantage when it comes to making the playoffs.

Not to derail the thread onto a shitty topic but that's why I think Anthony Lynn (Chargers HC) may give Kaepernick a look. Not because he brings much value but because they may need bodies for backup/3rd string if someone gets Covid-10.

gut

Sat, Jun 20, 2020 11:31 PM
posted by BR1986FB

Not to derail the thread onto a shitty topic but that's why I think Anthony Lynn (Chargers HC) may give Kaepernick a look. Not because he brings much value but because they may need bodies for backup/3rd string if someone gets Covid-10.

I think Cam Newton is still out there, too.  I don't think Kap will want to play 3rd string, and not even back-up for anything less than several million a year.

It's amazing to me what the Steelers did last year with complete garbage at QB.  Both were very serviceable their first few games - I can't believe defenses are so scared and incapable of attacking such limited guys without 4 games of tape.  LOL, I thought Landry Jones would have been better than those two guys the Steelers had.  Until I saw him play in the XFL.

BR1986FB

Sun, Jun 21, 2020 8:53 AM
posted by gut

I think Cam Newton is still out there, too.  I don't think Kap will want to play 3rd string, and not even back-up for anything less than several million a year.

It's amazing to me what the Steelers did last year with complete garbage at QB.  Both were very serviceable their first few games - I can't believe defenses are so scared and incapable of attacking such limited guys without 4 games of tape.  LOL, I thought Landry Jones would have been better than those two guys the Steelers had.  Until I saw him play in the XFL.

I'm skeptical that Kaepernick even still wants to play. Plus, what will he bring to the table, not playing in 4 years?

I think a lot of Pittsburgh's success can be attributed to the addition of Minkah Fitzpatrick. That defense was good but they just took off with his addition. I think he may have won a few games himself (Rams come to mind but the refs blew that call) scoring on defense. They should've easily been a playoff team if they had gotten even "average" QB play.