2019 Reds Thread

Home Forums Sports

Heretic

Son of the Sun

Wed, Jul 17, 2019 5:53 PM
posted by Heretic

To me, the amazing thing about Bell and Hernandez is that, for nearly every team at any time, if a reliever who has a history of being good has a stretch like Hernandez has had over the past few weeks, he's likely on the DL (actually injured or not) or at minimum, getting a few mop-up outings to work through his issues. Not for Bell, though; he's getting high-importance innings and failing and getting high-importance innings and failing and I know my Reds fan friend is wondering if Bell actually has any brain for reacting to events as they happen, or if he just has this "How Things Should Be Done" checklist that he follows adamantly regardless of what is actually happening.

And again. Down 2-0 going into the seventh, Bell brings in Hernandez, who promptly gives up two more runs to make it 4-0. Next inning, Reds score 2, but because of Hernandez, it's 4-2 instead of potentially 2-2. Why constantly bring the guy who has been really struggling to do anything right for a few weeks into high-leverage situations is beyond me, but it keeps happening.

Ironman92

Administrator

Wed, Jul 17, 2019 6:08 PM

Bell isn’t very good

BRF

Wed, Jul 17, 2019 9:20 PM

I liked David Bell as a player. 

But reading the things you guys are posting that he does.......it’s a real head scratcher. 

Heretic

Son of the Sun

Thu, Jul 18, 2019 10:23 AM

BRF, to add a bit of insight to what I was saying about him and Hernandez. In his last eight relief appearances, he has totaled 4.1 innings and given up 14 runs in that period, resulting in two losses, two blown saves (the same two games he lost) and, in at least a few other games, including yesterday's, turned a very manageable deficit into something bigger. While his ERA went from low 4s to nearly 7. And he still is getting high-leverage spots because Bell, for whatever reason, seems incapable of realizing the dude is completely worthless at this time. Like, if you look at his game log for the season, he's generally been good, with the occasional outing where he got blown up, which is why he had a low 4s ERA instead of something good. But he's been abysmal in July (six of those eight recent appearances) and there's been no reaction to that extreme decline other than to keep using him like he was still effective.

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Thu, Jul 18, 2019 9:43 PM

Reds were up 3-0 last I checked. Now they're down 7-4. Godammit.

Ironman92

Administrator

Thu, Jul 18, 2019 9:45 PM
posted by justincredible

Reds were up 3-0 last I checked. Now they're down 7-4. Godammit.

Your boy Joseph continues to be maybe the worst baserunner in the game and his instincts throughout the game are miserable

Ironman92

Administrator

Fri, Jul 19, 2019 11:03 PM

What a ball busting loss....not reviewing a tag cost Reds 4 runs

Heretic

Son of the Sun

Sat, Jul 20, 2019 12:35 PM

I was at my Reds fan friend's place last night watching that one. It got to 7-0, so we went over to The Basketball Tournament because the teams with former OSU players were on last night. And then I saw the game was getting tight, so we used the DVR to go to the beginning of that inning and watched all 10 runs come across. What a fucked up inning, with bad pitching and worse defense.

Ironman92

Administrator

Sat, Jul 20, 2019 5:14 PM

Reds signed Ryan Lavarnway to catch as our top 3 catchers are all unavailable....in his first game he hit 2 HR, double and a walk.....next day he’s benched.

I fucking hate over thinking managers

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Sun, Jul 21, 2019 5:31 PM

Rough week for the Redlegs. Now sitting 9.5 back in the Central, 6.5 back in the wild card, and currently hold the 2nd worst record in the NL. I'm gonna say the playoff dreams have been dashed at this point.

BRF

Sun, Jul 21, 2019 5:44 PM
posted by wildcats20

Please go on a run. Please. 

This was posted 6 days ago and I was hoping to see that run. And now the Reds are 9.5 back. The good news is that they are still in it, even with the second worst record in the league.

Go Reds

Ironman92

Administrator

Mon, Jul 22, 2019 9:03 PM

Votto swings at a 0-0 count pitch and then losses at Sonny Gray for stealing 3rd on the pitch......Brewers were shifted and Votto needs to calm the fuck down. God forbid the Reds double steal while he’s batting so he’ll have two runners not to knock in

Ironman92

Administrator

Mon, Jul 22, 2019 11:07 PM

Top this

David Bell brings in Michael Lorenzen to pitch....that’s fine. Lorenzen stinks a bit and Bell goes to mound and puts Lorenzen in the OF, brings in a new pitcher AND takes Puig out of the game.

What the fucking fuck?

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Tue, Jul 23, 2019 7:27 AM
posted by Ironman92

Top this

David Bell brings in Michael Lorenzen to pitch....that’s fine. Lorenzen stinks a bit and Bell goes to mound and puts Lorenzen in the OF, brings in a new pitcher AND takes Puig out of the game.

What the fucking fuck?

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Wed, Jul 24, 2019 7:08 PM

Well, after winning 2 of 3 in Milwaukee, the Reds are only 4 games back. 

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Wed, Jul 24, 2019 7:09 PM

And I have no idea where 4 came from? They are 8 back lol. 

Ironman92

Administrator

Wed, Jul 24, 2019 9:23 PM
posted by wildcats20

And I have no idea where 4 came from? They are 8 back lol. 

Should’ve swept

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Mon, Jul 29, 2019 9:06 PM

Reds dropped a dime on the Pirates in the 2nd inning. Currently lead 10-2 in the 5th.

Ironman92

Administrator

Sun, Aug 4, 2019 5:26 PM

2-2 series in Atlanta....could’ve easily been 3-1

Bullpen is awful....Sonny Gray is awesome.

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Mon, Aug 5, 2019 9:28 PM

Castillo with a 13 K night. Ho-hum.

Ironman92

Administrator

Mon, Aug 5, 2019 9:47 PM

Castillo is awesome

Mike Trout smh

Ironman92

Administrator

Mon, Aug 5, 2019 10:39 PM

Big win....will DFA Hernandez or denote Peralta and Gausman will go to the pen 

I think we just got a tiny bit better

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Tue, Aug 6, 2019 7:20 PM

At the game tonight. Disco is such a disappointment. 

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Tue, Aug 6, 2019 8:22 PM
posted by justincredible

At the game tonight. Disco is such a disappointment. 

Aquino, on the other hand, is not. Holy shit that ball was mashed. 

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Tue, Aug 6, 2019 9:23 PM
posted by wildcats20

Aquino, on the other hand, is not. Holy shit that ball was mashed. 

Indeed. Kid is strong.