2018 Golf Thread

Home Forums Sports

SportsAndLady

Sun, Aug 12, 2018 2:41 PM

What a shot out of the fairway bunker by Tiger on 1...god I want him to win this so bad.

SportsAndLady

Sun, Aug 12, 2018 4:18 PM

Tiger is 2 under today and hasn’t hit a fairway yet. Huh

SportsAndLady

Sun, Aug 12, 2018 5:22 PM

COme on tiger

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Sun, Aug 12, 2018 5:25 PM

I want to see Tiger get one more major in my lifetime, but who else is rooting for Tiger to win so CC can go fuck himself? 

Laley23

GOAT

Sun, Aug 12, 2018 5:28 PM

Brooks is playing to well, he will win. But, Tiger has been amazing this weekend. He really should’ve had quite a few more birdies. Unlucky on some putts and especially round 2 on some chips and the weather.

Ironman92

Administrator

Sun, Aug 12, 2018 5:28 PM

I’m in and watching now....so Tiger won’t make anything now 

Ironman92

Administrator

Sun, Aug 12, 2018 5:41 PM

Told you. I hate the short wedge shot on that long of a chip across the green. Prefer 7-8 iron.

SportsAndLady

Sun, Aug 12, 2018 5:43 PM
posted by Ironman92

I’m in and watching now....so Tiger won’t make anything now 

Do you have to do this on every sports thread?

SportsAndLady

Sun, Aug 12, 2018 5:59 PM

Come on tiger!!

Ironman92

Administrator

Sun, Aug 12, 2018 6:06 PM
posted by SportsAndLady

Do you have to do this on every sports thread?

Sorry. True with Tiger.

Those saying golf is better without Tiger are just crazy.

Ironman92

Administrator

Sun, Aug 12, 2018 6:15 PM

Geesh....I remember when I could hit a 4 iron, but 248? Nah lol

Ironman92

Administrator

Sun, Aug 12, 2018 6:40 PM

64 for Tiger

Thesw leaderboards in the majors this year have been awesome 

ernest_t_bass

12th Son of the Lama

Sun, Aug 12, 2018 6:43 PM

I have internet TV, and CBS's pretentious ass won't let me watch with my parent's Spectrum login.  You have to pay for their premium shit.  Fuck you! 

Ironman92

Administrator

Sun, Aug 12, 2018 6:47 PM

I think that Tiger has been irrelevant for so long that all the newer fans 22-32 have never experienced him being in it. Right now it feels a little Happy Gilmore and Shooter McGavin. Koepka has obliterated this course and tournament and has won 3 of the last 7 majors...but Tiger gets the talk and roars. Brooks gets the trophy and champions check. In boring fashion, Koepka is a top name in golf, but it doesn’t feel like it.

Koepka reminds me of a young Ernie Els with his size, success and composure

Laley23

GOAT

Sun, Aug 12, 2018 6:48 PM
posted by ernest_t_bass

I have internet TV, and CBS's pretentious ass won't let me watch with my parent's Spectrum login.  You have to pay for their premium shit.  Fuck you! 

SlingTV has AirTV compatability. That what I use for “antenna” channels.

Laley23

GOAT

Sun, Aug 12, 2018 6:48 PM

I have SATURDAY Masters tickets in April. Goddamn I am pumped to watch Tiger year that course up. The man is back. Very back. 

Spock

Sun, Aug 12, 2018 7:42 PM
posted by like_that

I want to see Tiger get one more major in my lifetime, but who else is rooting for Tiger to win so CC can go fuck himself? 

its been great to see him choke it up the last 2 majors.

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Sun, Aug 12, 2018 7:47 PM
posted by Ironman92

I think that Tiger has been irrelevant for so long that all the newer fans 22-32 have never experienced him being in it. Right now it feels a little Happy Gilmore and Shooter McGavin. Koepka has obliterated this course and tournament and has won 3 of the last 7 majors...but Tiger gets the talk and roars. Brooks gets the trophy and champions check. In boring fashion, Koepka is a top name in golf, but it doesn’t feel like it.

Koepka reminds me of a young Ernie Els with his size, success and composure

22-32 is quite the spread you have there lol.  A lot of the fans in that age group grew up with Woods dominating. 

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Sun, Aug 12, 2018 8:58 PM
posted by ernest_t_bass

PGA Championship app. Obviously doesn’t help now, but it was free. Didn’t need any type of login. 

Ironman92

Administrator

Sun, Aug 12, 2018 9:09 PM
posted by like_that

22-32 is quite the spread you have there lol.  A lot of the fans in that age group grew up with Woods dominating. 

I doubt they were out on the course is more of what I meant. That age is on their own and doing things....maybe in way off but I bet a large % of those in the booming crowd today hadn’t witnessed the Tiger spectacle before. I don’t know....maybe every major not named the Masters has rarely or never seen it 🤷🏻‍♂️

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Mon, Aug 13, 2018 6:26 AM
posted by Ironman92

I doubt they were out on the course is more of what I meant. That age is on their own and doing things....maybe in way off but I bet a large % of those in the booming crowd today hadn’t witnessed the Tiger spectacle before. I don’t know....maybe every major not named the Masters has rarely or never seen it 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’m 33 and witnessed every ounce of Tigermania. I was almost 13 when Tiger won the Maters’s in 97. You’re a little off on your ages. 

Ironman92

Administrator

Mon, Aug 13, 2018 6:56 AM

Sat PGA ratings up 54% from last year

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Mon, Aug 13, 2018 8:57 AM
posted by Ironman92

I am just saying you need to shift that age group further to the left.  I was nearly 10 years old when Tiger won his first major.  I remember that performance crystal clear how dominant he was and I remember all of the other majors he won.  I am not even a golfer, but I was always glued to the TV on Sundays if Tiger was in contention for a major.  Most of my friends +/- 2 years of my age did the same.  I know that's a bit anecdotal, but I assume a lot of people around my age did it as well considering the ratings are always up when Tiger is in it.  You literally picked an age group of people who grew up watching Tiger and him contending for a major on Sunday is all they knew.   

tl;dr: A lot of people in that age group you selected know exactly what it is like when Tiger is in contention for a major. 

Edit: This post got me all nostalgic.  I miss those care free summers. 

Ironman92

Administrator

Mon, Aug 13, 2018 5:30 PM
posted by like_that

I am just saying you need to shift that age group further to the left.  I was nearly 10 years old when Tiger won his first major.  I remember that performance crystal clear how dominant he was and I remember all of the other majors he won.  I am not even a golfer, but I was always glued to the TV on Sundays if Tiger was in contention for a major.  Most of my friends +/- 2 years of my age did the same.  I know that's a bit anecdotal, but I assume a lot of people around my age did it as well considering the ratings are always up when Tiger is in it.  You literally picked an age group of people who grew up watching Tiger and him contending for a major on Sunday is all they knew.   

tl;dr: A lot of people in that age group you selected know exactly what it is like when Tiger is in contention for a major. 

Edit: This post got me all nostalgic.  I miss those care free summers. 

I was trying to portray (uneducated fashion) the crowd on the course...not the tv crowd. Crowd was insane...made me think of the first time he was at Muirfield for Jack’s tourney. Anyways I can be completely wrong in my thought or way off on ages....just thinking much of that huge crowd hadn’t witnessed the Tiger spectacle....but also understand Tiger may not have played near St Louis 10x in his career so maybe 4/5 of the crowd hasn’t seen him live on course.

Just a thought

Classyposter58

Mon, Aug 13, 2018 6:12 PM
posted by Ironman92

I was trying to portray (uneducated fashion) the crowd on the course...not the tv crowd. Crowd was insane...made me think of the first time he was at Muirfield for Jack’s tourney. Anyways I can be completely wrong in my thought or way off on ages....just thinking much of that huge crowd hadn’t witnessed the Tiger spectacle....but also understand Tiger may not have played near St Louis 10x in his career so maybe 4/5 of the crowd hasn’t seen him live on course.

Just a thought

Good point. Personally I hope this is the shot in the arm needed for the game of golf. It’s amazing how much the game has taken a hit on the youth levels in the last few years. Many programs do not even have JV squads anymore and the scoring seems way up on what it used to be from when I played 10 years ago

Guys like Rory, DJ, Spieth just don’t have the sustained success to gather a following the way Tiger has