NFL Offseason 2018

Home Forums Sports

thavoice

Sun, Sep 2, 2018 5:32 PM
posted by Heretic

Personally, I think it's more logical to be paying to have a good support cast of defensive and offensive players than simply throwing obscene amounts of money at mediocre to decent QBs like the Flaccos, Daltons and Cousins of the world. Especially when you consider that 3/4 of the championship week teams were going it with journeyman types and of those three, Foles was the only one that hadn't started most of the year. If Case Keenum and Blake Bortles can lead teams in the AFC/NFC championships, that in itself should tell front office dipshits that its smarter to invest in a balanced team instead of giving out Stafford money to any old Stafford out there. Since those guys are dipshits, it probably won't, but it should.

TRue, bur if Goff is the real deal they wont be able to pay him.

They are def in it for teh short term. They may have a few good years and then hit rock bottom. If that means SB wins then, well, it is worth it i guess.

I am not sold on the Rams, Vikings amongst teams who surprised last year. Same thing with the Jags....I would not be surprised if all three of thsoe teams missed the playoffs this year

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Mon, Sep 3, 2018 11:25 AM

Sooo Le’Veon hasn’t signed his franchise tender yet. 

Commander of Awesome

Senior Pwner

Mon, Sep 3, 2018 2:40 PM
posted by wildcats20

Sooo Le’Veon hasn’t signed his franchise tender yet. 

Nor has he shown up to camp. I don't blame him, pretty shitty situation he's in with no contract etc.. They'll just ride him into the ground and dispose of him after this season, I would sit out and get paid by a team that think he's worth it.

Hope the steelers playing penis flickers with his contract bites them in the ass next Sunday!

Ironman92

Administrator

Mon, Sep 3, 2018 3:03 PM
posted by Commander of Awesome

Nor has he shown up to camp. I don't blame him, pretty shitty situation he's in with no contract etc.. They'll just ride him into the ground and dispose of him after this season, I would sit out and get paid by a team that think he's worth it.

Hope the steelers playing penis flickers with his contract bites them in the ass next Sunday!

It sucks teams can do that. I don’t blame Bell.

friendfromlowry

Mon, Sep 3, 2018 5:49 PM
posted by Heretic

Personally, I think it's more logical to be paying to have a good support cast of defensive and offensive players than simply throwing obscene amounts of money at mediocre to decent QBs like the Flaccos, Daltons and Cousins of the world. Especially when you consider that 3/4 of the championship week teams were going it with journeyman types and of those three, Foles was the only one that hadn't started most of the year. If Case Keenum and Blake Bortles can lead teams in the AFC/NFC championships, that in itself should tell front office dipshits that its smarter to invest in a balanced team instead of giving out Stafford money to any old Stafford out there. Since those guys are dipshits, it probably won't, but it should.

Even worse, IMO, is when they give ridiculous contracts to guys they THINK will be good, like Osweiler and Mike Glennon. 

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Mon, Sep 3, 2018 5:55 PM
posted by wildcats20

Cowboys cut Dan Bailey. Only the 2nd most accurate kicker in NFL history. 

Likely to be signed by the Jets. I'm not mad.

BR1986FB

Mon, Sep 3, 2018 7:02 PM
posted by Heretic

My point was if Goff turns into a legit stud. I get what you're saying but as your own Kevin Colbert said (paraphrasing) "a check we're more than glad to write." With teams always looking for that franchise guy, until you have one, you have nothing. Last year was more the exception than the norm.

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Tue, Sep 4, 2018 1:31 PM

Christian Hackenberg has had an eventful offseason. 

Traded from Jets to Raiders.
Cut by Raiders (conditional pick negated, Jets get nothing).
Signed by Eagles.
Cut by Eagles.
Signed to Bengals practice squad.

Heretic

Son of the Sun

Tue, Sep 4, 2018 2:21 PM
posted by BR1986FB

My point was if Goff turns into a legit stud. I get what you're saying but as your own Kevin Colbert said (paraphrasing) "a check we're more than glad to write." With teams always looking for that franchise guy, until you have one, you have nothing. Last year was more the exception than the norm.

I understand that, but think the problem is that teams are so desperate to have a quarterback they can designate as the face of their franchise that they make huge stretches as to what a "franchise" QB is (basically anyone capable of starting 16 games and not completely sucking), overpaying for mediocrity and giving themselves a double-whammy because the amount of $$$ that goes into QB winds up taking away from what they can put around him, making his deficiencies more glaring.

BR1986FB

Tue, Sep 4, 2018 2:33 PM
posted by Heretic

I understand that, but think the problem is that teams are so desperate to have a quarterback they can designate as the face of their franchise that they make huge stretches as to what a "franchise" QB is (basically anyone capable of starting 16 games and not completely sucking), overpaying for mediocrity and giving themselves a double-whammy because the amount of $$$ that goes into QB winds up taking away from what they can put around him, making his deficiencies more glaring.

Oh, I get that. The Browns are paying Tyrod Taylor a "bargain" at $16m this year and I don't think he's worth it.

Teams are trying to make hay during the QB's rookie contract before they have to pay them. Joe Flacco was the poster child for shitty QB's who parlayed a good playoff run into a huge pay day and he's team has been hamstrung ever since.

Automatik

Wed, Sep 5, 2018 9:37 AM

No fantasy sticky yet?

Just drafted last night. We use ESPN. Is there a service out there that would let me import entire league to spit out draft grades?

SportsAndLady

Wed, Sep 5, 2018 9:48 AM

Yahoo gives a draft grade after the draft. Is that what you’re looking for? Idk if I understood your question 

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Wed, Sep 5, 2018 12:02 PM
posted by Automatik

No fantasy sticky yet?

Just drafted last night. We use ESPN. Is there a service out there that would let me import entire league to spit out draft grades?

posted by SportsAndLady

Yahoo gives a draft grade after the draft. Is that what you’re looking for? Idk if I understood your question 

NFL.com does the same. ESPN probably doesn’t, because ESPN. 

Commander of Awesome

Senior Pwner

Wed, Sep 5, 2018 1:31 PM

https://twitter.com/YahooNoise/status/1037376824269918208?s=20

Le’Veon Bell’s agent on hints at a prolonged holdout into the regular season. Concerned about overuse for his client before he enters free agency. Doesn’t sound like Bell is going to arrive anytime soon. Grab all the James Conner you can.

lol steelers lol

Automatik

Wed, Sep 5, 2018 1:34 PM

What a prick. I almost got Conner too, but passed.

How does this work now? He hasn't signed the tender. And loses like 800k for each game he sits out. Could potentially sit the entire year and not get paid? Then he's a free agent?

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Wed, Sep 5, 2018 1:39 PM
posted by Automatik

What a prick. I almost got Conner too, but passed.

How does this work now? He hasn't signed the tender. And loses like 800k for each game he sits out. Could potentially sit the entire year and not get paid? Then he's a free agent?

I think you answered your own question.  

I am not even saying this, because I hate the Steelers, but I can't blame Bell.   I also can't blame the Steelers for not wanting to pay him a ridiculous amount of money.   I know Bell wasn't a first round pick, but shit like this is why you can't convince me a first round pick on a RB is worth it.  Even a 2nd round pick is pushing it for me.  I much rather invest the picks and money on a line that will keep the running game consistently positive regardless of who is in the backfield.

Automatik

Wed, Sep 5, 2018 1:51 PM

I agree somewhat with both sides. Similar to the Mack situation that just went down. 

He turned down 5 years, 14 mil. Now potentially holding out thinking he will get more than next year, which I'd be surprised if it happened.

BR1986FB

Wed, Sep 5, 2018 1:56 PM

I almost have to side with Bell in this and I hate siding with the player. He has quite a bit of tread on the tires and wants to get paid. Pittsburgh keeps tagging him on one year deals and he really has no security. Yeah, he might get $12-14m this year on the tag but is he blows out his knee and his career ends?

BR1986FB

Wed, Sep 5, 2018 2:46 PM
posted by like_that

That's a lot of money to turn down for a RB.  That's most likely where the market is going for top RBs too.  

Gurley got 4 years/$60m with $45m guaranteed.

Commander of Awesome

Senior Pwner

Wed, Sep 5, 2018 3:01 PM
posted by BR1986FB

Gurley got 4 years/$60m with $45m guaranteed.

More guaranteed than Bell. The contract offered to Bell was essentially team options after next season.

BR1986FB

Wed, Sep 5, 2018 5:02 PM

Sounds like a few of Bell's teammates, especially Ramon Foster, are kind of pissed and are sounding off.

Ironman92

Administrator

Thu, Sep 13, 2018 8:42 PM

Ravens undisciplined so far. Dumb interference on uncatchable ball. Bengals look pretty decent